• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Measurements Using Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS

jazzendapus

This batch of measurements seems like another indication that Sennheiser solved this whole over-ear headphones business about 25 years ago with HD580 (=HD600=HD650) for good. With such great out-of-the box FR and super low distortion you can mold them to your liking/scientific consensus without any serious repercussions. Finding a similar IEM would be nice indeed.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This batch of measurements seems like another indication that Sennheiser solved this whole over-ear headphones business about 25 years ago with HD580 (=HD600=HD650) for good. With such great out-of-the box FR and super low distortion you can mold them to your liking/scientific consensus without any serious repercussions. Finding a similar IEM would be nice indeed.
Not really. HD600/650/580 sound chaotic. It has to do with pinna reflection and interference in side the cup. Frequency response is one dimensional data. It only tells you so much.
But don't take it the wrong way, frequency response is the single most important data period.

ayane

Forum Donor
Aieeeeeeee! I'm so hyped about headphone measurements on ASR! OMG this is my favorite forum ever. I love you Amir!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Chocomel

"pleased to see that cheap DIY contraption isn't far off from $ 41k official HATS."

So what's the point of the HATS? Let's see how close something like a miniDSP Ears gets to it. If it's really close maybe Amir should save a boat-load of money and get that.

The accoustic impedance of the EARS setup is wrong leading to less accurate Measurements. Unfortunately this isn't something you can compensate for with a compensation curve as the exact inaccuracy varies per headphone. Flatplate Measurement rigs also have this issue. Professional rigs try to emulate the accoustic impedance of human hearing and such will give more accurate Measurements.

Of course everyone has different ears but they key point of a good rig is that the delta between Headphones on a hats more closely resembles the difference on a human.

In turn the real value (imo) of the Measurements isn't so much absolute accuracy but rather show the differences between headphones.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My etymotic IEMs are not in the house so here is a freebie AKG IEM that came with my Samsung phone:

1597563805179.png

Took 10 minutes of fiddling to get it to seat right and produce any bass.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do note that the IEF targets were extrapolated against data from GRAS KEMAR, the pinnae of which causes a dip around those regions (notably for the HD6X0 and the HD800/S).

Noted, agreed and that is exactly my point.
The inaccuracy at these frequencies in HATS differs between them.
It also has to do with driver position and size IMO. Of course I don't have the vast experience of mad economist who has done tons of research on this while I am just a simple engineer.

I see measurements of headphones in a different light. All the research mad economist presented all point to rather substantial differences between HRTF's of human subjects.
While this is fascinating from an engineering p.o.v.in order to determine sort of an average so that a standard can be developped in order to get 'comparable' results. Of course this all is very useful and having a standard is paramount for this.

Here is the thing that keeps mulling in my head.
While research shows that there are substantial differences in HRTF which people often use to say 'we all hear differently' I don't really think that is the case.
I believe that the human brain calibrates itself continuously. This is a slow process. If one gets sudden hearing loss we hear it as such. When it is gradual (due to aging) we don't hear it as such. I still 'think' my hearing hasn't gotten much worse in the last 20 years. When looking at actual measurements of hearing I can see it is deteriorated. I mean if the difference between 30 years ago and now was 'sudden' I would be really alarmed.

When we hear acoustical instruments/music our HRTF is taken into account. We all hear those instruments as real aided by our eyes.
When measured at the eardrum all folks will have substantially different 'input' into our brains but we all hear the music as 'reference' to reality.

Now we measure at an 'average through research' pinna and above all ear canal/coupler. Those are bound to deviate from what people hear and also, depending on the research done to determine the 'average' pinna/ear canal they use to get DF and FF (which are standards) correct.
The differences between these 'differently constructed average simulations' is the cause of the errors when measured and above all when corrected. When one is to EQ on specific measurements (lets use your and Amir's) then the result will be that one HD650 will now have much less treble and the other one much more treble.
When one doesn't act on those measurements or 'averages' all known measurements (and it is the most measured headphone I know) then you may come to the conclusion you should not EQ on it.
I also don't think you need to EQ on it.

The best way IMHO is to listen to headphones first. EQ it compared to hearing (very difficult unless one is really experienced with this) and then measure to see if it works. It's the way I do this. Listen first and then measure to see if it correlates to my 'basic' EQ.

I am pretty sure, given the variance between human ears that there will be folks for whom an attenuation or boost at higher frequencies will actually be beneficial when their HRTF happens to be close to that of the measurement rig.
To me this is the best 'explanation' as to why some people say they don't prefer the EQ profile generated by this or that person and do with another one.

In the end we (well I do) measure headphones to EQ.
We measure/compare HATS to see how and where they differ.

Given the results and comparisons between 'compensated' measurement results it is painfully obvious there are substantial differences between HATS above 5kHz or so. To compound the matter the differences differ when different headphones are used.
To me, the real question is which of the 'standardized' methods is closest in reality with all headphones and with the vast majority of people's actual HRTF.
We will never get there is my opion but really welcome the ongoing research and improvements in this area.

To me it is an unsolvable engineering problem but applaud all efforts to get closer.
And yes, I am fully aware that my test rig and correction is flawed to the bone and does not comply to any standards.

Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer
My etymotic IEMs are not in the house so here is a freebie AKG IEM that came with my Samsung phone:

View attachment 78419

Took 10 minutes of fiddling to get it to seat right and produce any bass.

Other sources:

heme955.PNG

(Refer to grey raws, red/blue are DF compensated for the graph above)​
1597564083778.png

1597564211753.png

graph (28).png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks. Varying aspect ratios and scales makes visual comparison difficult. Another one is the reference frequency. I started with 500 Hz but the files @Mad_Economist have been giving me have 200 Hz so I have used that now. But I see you are using 500 Hz reference. Need to decide what makes sense.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
"pleased to see that cheap DIY contraption isn't far off from $ 41k official HATS."

So what's the point of the HATS? Let's see how close something like a miniDSP Ears gets to it. If it's really close maybe Amir should save a boat-load of money and get that.

The point of the HATS is that it conforms to a standard which is well described and can be used for scientific purposes it is designed for.
Primarily acoustic measurements of speakers and sounds some distance away from the HATS.
The EARS does not comply to those standards and my rig not at all when measuring acoustics. That's not what I use it for.
The results of the EARS also depends on the compensation they came with (miniDSP arrived at). SBAF attempts to make a compensation are more useful than the ones it originally came with.

Lately more effort is done by HATS manufacturers to use HATS for headphone measurements as well. People started using them this way despite the fact that they weren't specifically designed/intended for this application.

The one Amir is testing thus may well be more accurate to determine EQ compared to other HATS when it comes to headphones.
The primary goal of a HATS remains that it must be accurate under FF and DF (or Harman) conditions and the challenge is to design a HATS that also measures pretty accurate with headphones.

While the EARS is a great effort to do cheap and somewhat accurate measurements this one too, depending on the used compensation, is better than doing nothing at all and rely on the 'trusty' old hearing.

Last edited:

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
Thanks. Varying aspect ratios and scales makes visual comparison difficult. Another one is the reference frequency. I started with 500 Hz but the files @Mad_Economist have been giving me have 200 Hz so I have used that now. But I see you are using 500 Hz reference. Need to decide what makes sense.
Normalizing to 500hz would not be uncommon - the IEC60268-7 standard for headphone testing specifies 500hz as the frequency for testing sensitivity IIRC. I favour 200hz for comparisons of HRTFs/compensation data because it is below the HRTF band entirely and above Harman's shelving filter.

Edit: FWIW, for overlaying a target curve with a headphone, I'd actually favour 1khz - things will sound really wrong if their mids don't follow something that looks like the ear gain rise there, so it's a pretty safe option.

Hard agree on the scales. If someone else has spare time, perhaps a volunteer would like to manually get us say 1/6oct bands with WebPlotDigitizer?
I am going to sleep. :)
Sleep well!

Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer

Actually my graph comparison tool defaults to:
... the ISO 226:2003 loudness standard (with linear rather than cubic interpolation, since it has little effect on the average) with free field compensation (which most closely matches the conditions in which that standard was measured) to convert from speakers to IEMs.

(GitHub code here)

But there's also the option to normalise by frequency, and usually 1kHz would be the default then.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
The point of the HATS is that it conforms to a standard which is well described and can be used for scientific purposes it is designed for.
Primarily acoustic measurements of speakers and sounds.
Given that one of the older applications of HATS would be hearing aids, I wouldn't say that headphone testing is far outside of their remit from the start...

Jave

Will you also measure THD, or something else other than FR for the different headphones?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Given that one of the older applications of HATS would be hearing aids, I wouldn't say that headphone testing is far outside of their remit from the start..

For IEMS I would kind of agree.
Of course above 8kHz does not seem to be an area of interest to audiologists nor is it useful to for hearing aids to go much higher.
The ones needing it have severely compromised hearing anyway and none of them use those to listen to 'high-end' music reproduction.
They do use them to hear/remember songs of old.

They probably exist but have never seen over- or on-ear hearing aids. ;)

YSC

Major Contributor
for in-ear is that possible you can ask ultimate ears for a universal fit pair of their UERR model? I know labeling a pair of in ear as reference is a bit too overstated, but since their pairing of capitol studio produced UERM and UERR are so highly regarded I am really interested to see how they measure in the rig

Top Bottom