• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

headphone amplifier low budget

slg1986

Hi all,
I would like to buy a headphone amplifier for home use with macbook and iphone (my headphone Superlux HD Evo).
I have a budget of 100 euros. What do you recommend?
Thank you

mc.god

as an owner, +1 to Sabaj a10h from me too. With it's measurements and features at this price ther are simply no alternatives.

mc.god

Reading better the request, I see you have to use with apple devices but didn't specify if they have analog output, that is mandatory for the sabaj a10h just as for any other pure amp.
If you have only usb\thunderbolt ports clearly you'll need a dac\amp, in that case I think that Topping DX1 would be a solid choice for your budget since your headphones are rather easy to drive. I have not seen measurements in this case but suppose we can trust Topping.
At last, at the moment there is an interesting time limited offer on the new Tempotec March MIII, making it again in your budget. It has even more features (bluetooth and digital outs) than Topping DX1 and very similar specs, but again, no measurements here and not the same reputation as Topping.

I limited the choices to desktop devices with volume control since you said about home usage, but if you don't mind it then there would be an ample choice of dongle dac\amp with decent power under 100€, for example the Tanchjim Space, limiting to one for witch we have proven good measurements.

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
I own the Sabaj A10H, Topping DX1, Apple USB/Lightning Dongles, E1DA Dac/Amp. If you only listen at safe listening levels (80dB or less), then any of them would suffice. But if you really wanna go fairly loud, go with the A10H.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

What about a slightly overbudget recommendation:
Qudelix 5K/

Then you can Equalize your Superlux to challenge headphones costing many times more...

Peace.

OP
S

slg1986

Reading better the request, I see you have to use with apple devices but didn't specify if they have analog output, that is mandatory for the sabaj a10h just as for any other pure amp.
If you have only usb\thunderbolt ports clearly you'll need a dac\amp, in that case I think that Topping DX1 would be a solid choice for your budget since your headphones are rather easy to drive. I have not seen measurements in this case but suppose we can trust Topping.
At last, at the moment there is an interesting time limited offer on the new Tempotec March MIII, making it again in your budget. It has even more features (bluetooth and digital outs) than Topping DX1 and very similar specs, but again, no measurements here and not the same reputation as Topping.

I limited the choices to desktop devices with volume control since you said about home usage, but if you don't mind it then there would be an ample choice of dongle dac\amp with decent power under 100€, for example the Tanchjim Space, limiting to one for witch we have proven good measurements.

The iPad and Macbook have aux only iPhone have only thunderbolt!

axaro1

Considering the measurements and the sale price, this thread could already be closed here.
Is this recommendation still reliable in 2024? I noticed that both the S.M.S.L SH-6 and the A10h are extremely hard to find in EU, the Sabaj A20h is much more accessible and supposedly as good as the A10h, do we have other products in the same price range with similar performance?

mc.god

Is this recommendation still reliable in 2024? I noticed that both the S.M.S.L SH-6 and the A10h are extremely hard to find in EU, the Sabaj A20h is much more accessible and supposedly as good as the A10h, do we have other products in the same price range with similar performance?
Sadly A10h is no more available in EU while A20h is still available, at least at amazon.it.
It should measure very well too, note that it's less suited for iems and very efficient headphone than A10h since they have different gain settings:

A10h: -6db / 0 db / +9db

A20h 0 db / +6 db / +15 db

But with it's stepped relay volume control it should be good anyway since you can use even the lowest steps without any channel imbalance, and for 90€ it's a steal.

Since in EU Shiit and JDS aren't really an option, only alternative but a bit pricier is the Topping L30 II that with it's extremely wide gain settings and fantastic measurements is perfect for every scenario. Just starting today it's 14% off at 127€ and it's a steal too.

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
Sadly A10h is no more available in EU while A20h is still available, at least at amazon.it.
It should measure very well too, note that it's less suited for iems and very efficient headphone than A10h since they have different gain settings:

A10h: -6db / 0 db / +9db

A20h 0 db / +6 db / +15 db

But with it's stepped relay volume control it should be good anyway since you can use even the lowest steps without any channel imbalance, and for 90€ it's a steal.

Since in EU Shiit and JDS aren't really an option, only alternative but a bit pricier is the Topping L30 II that with it's extremely wide gain settings and fantastic measurements is perfect for every scenario. Just starting today it's 14% off at 127€ and it's a steal too.
A20h is currently £72.20 on UK Amazon... only 1 left in stock...

Peterinvan

The FiiO K7 is great value for money:

1711728893685.png

Top Bottom