• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp needed for turntable (details in description)

Rigjamshamalam

I will be using:
Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones

I plan on getting:
Rega Planar 1 Turntable
Rega Fono Mini A2D Mk2

I was planning on getting the Schiit Magni 3 but the UK site doesn't include a power cable (out of stock) and I would have to order off of their site, not to mention from what I have read, their customer support isn't great.

My maximum budget is £240 for both a preamp and an amp

Any recommendations (for a preamp and an amp) would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I will be using:
Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones

I plan on getting:
Rega Planar 1 Turntable
Rega Fono Mini A2D Mk2

I was planning on getting the Schiit Magni 3 but the UK site doesn't include a power cable (out of stock) and I would have to order off of their site, not to mention from what I have read, their customer support isn't great.

My maximum budget is £240 for both a preamp and an amp

Any recommendations (for a preamp and an amp) would be greatly appreciated
That seems pretty obvious to me. The Cambridge Alva Duo is the best phono preamp Amir has measured, and it has a built in headphone amp. It also supports moving coil if you ever decide you want to spend big bucks on a cart.

If you just want an amp and have decided against Schiit, which is my favorite, then I would get the Topping L30, which is similarly featured and outstandingly implemented.

I have had great experience with Schiit, but I am in the US.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The Duo may be the best phono amp measured so far, but its headphone amp isn't great. The Solo isn't far behind and factory refurbs are on ebay for £119 at the moment, so just in budget with an L30. The Rega is an unknown measurement wise, and has an ADC which may be important.

The L30 is the obvious choice that doesn't have the availability problems of the alternatives (Schiit, Atom etc.) in the UK.

Top Bottom