• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD800/s reccomendations for gaming Amp ?

OP
R

RasAhGhul

The 800 is a really bright and clear headphone. It has Bass but nowhere near the levels you want for games (for Music it is fine most of the time). EQ helps to make it sound even bigger and more impactful.
The RME ADI seems like a pretty technical piece of equipment ? What did you adjust for better deeper bass for gaming ?

Risc1911

The RME ADI seems like a pretty technical piece of equipment ? What did you adjust for better deeper bass for gaming ?

Personally i like this setting currently:
Low Shelf: 100Hz, +5db, Q0.5
Peak: 40Hz, +3db, Q0.5

This gives some really nice deep rumble and body.

21qz

Hi all, I’m leaning towards the rme + hd800s. Is there any other dac/amp combo that is highly suggested at the rme price point?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I’m leaning towards the rme + hd800s. Is there any other dac/amp combo that is highly suggested at the rme price point?

I don't think there's anything else out that matches it's feature set. It's basically in a class by itself. If you can afford it, and will use any of the DSP features then go for it.

Risc1911

I don't think there's anything else out that matches it's feature set. It's basically in a class by itself. If you can afford it, and will use any of the DSP features then go for it.

I second what @maverickronin said.

If you are not using the DSP, EQ, DA Filters, Crossfeed, multiple inputs etc. you can get a DAC/AMP combo for half the price with the same measured sound quality and AKM chipset.

I am currently setting up various EQ settings for games, movies, TV series, Music Genres. Having a blast!

Played PS5 Nioh/Nioh2 Remastered on the weekend and it's uncanny when you can locate enemies grunting, moaning or walking with pin point precision and not get jumped when they hide behind a corner. I love these headphones.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had them on the Sound blaster AE-9 in the 5.1 mode for gaming and in Destiny 2 it was epic. Creative has a factory certified page where you can get a great price on those too with warranty. You do need a 6 pin molex power lead on its own run, not shared since the amp is in the audio control module. You can't use adapters from a 4 pin, not enough voltage.

Carovigno

I had them on the Sound blaster AE-9 in the 5.1 mode for gaming and in Destiny 2 it was epic. Creative has a factory certified page where you can get a great price on those too with warranty. You do need a 6 pin molex power lead on its own run, not shared since the amp is in the audio control module. You can't use adapters from a 4 pin, not enough voltage.
Thanks for the update.
I have a $850 dac amp already to pair with my HD800s. And use the PC Dolby Atmos app for gaming.

I’m trying to see if these extra creative sound cards will enhance my sound.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just swapped to the HD800S this year, and while it sounds good, I don't think it made me a better player than when I had the 6XX on.

As far amp and gaming, you want something accurate, which means something that measures well. The subjectivists on other forums call this cold and analytical.

I use a THX AAA 789, but you don't even need to spend that much. Just get the cheapest amp that measures well and go line in from the motherboard line out. If you insist on a DAC or a DAC/Amp combo, just get the cheapest that measures well, if this is mainly for gaming.

I use Equalizer APO on windows for any EQ that I need; I generally use Harman target + 2 dB low shelf at 105 Hz for a bit more bass. I turn off the EQ for gaming though, it's just my music preference.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the update.
I have a $850 dac amp already to pair with my HD800s. And use the PC Dolby Atmos app for gaming.

I’m trying to see if these extra creative sound cards will enhance my sound.
If you want surround, just use the Dolby Access app and get Dolby Atmos for headphones. It's all software anyway, whether it's done on the sound card or the OS.

As for cost, it's actually a legitimate setup to spend whatever on the HD800S, but spend around $200 for the DAC / Amp and get basically all the way there compared to the more expensive DAC / Amp setups for gaming use. All you want is clean undistorted sound anyway, and you don't need extra features for that, just something that measures well.

john11

The Soud Blaster ae-9 takes in juice through the 6 pin atx connector. Is this for the card or the breakout box, or both? I have been searching but have got conflicting opinions

Top Bottom