• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD800/s reccomendations for gaming Amp ?

RasAhGhul

Been looking into stepping up my Headphone game but not sure if I'm getting in over my head with these higher end headphones that require amps to fully utilize them. I've been using Audeze mobius headset for w years now and have enjoyed them very much. But I now need to replace some plastic bits that have unfortunately worn down and cracked and am in the middle of figuring out If they're covered by warranty or if they can even be repaired. So that brings me here, been reading the hd800 series is incredible for gaming. What would a good amp be for these? This pair would be used pretty much 100% for gaming. And do you need to be trained in the art of audio to fully utilize these ? Also would the HD700s be a better choice for what in looking for? Any other recommendations? Thank you

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The soundstage advantage they bring is immediately obvious.

Also, console, PC, or both?

OP
R

RasAhGhul

Only PC. Ive also been looking into the Audeze LCD-GX headphones as well. But looking for some assistance with these higher end head sets and proper dac amp.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only PC. Ive also been looking into the Audeze LCD-GX headphones as well. But looking for some assistance with these higher end head sets and proper dac amp.

People talk a lot of nonsense about "needing" a proper amp or DAC. Especially for the HD800. Quite a mythology had grown up around it.

Most of this is caused by uncontrolled listening tests of things which sounds the same to begin with and is better explained by psychology rather than electrical or acoustical engineering.

To start with the DAC, unless you need extra features, you may be ok with whatever sound card you are currently using. What do you currently have?

Regarding amps, the two most important factors are power and noise floor. High end full size headphones are often less efficient and will need more power than an average sound card or phone/dongle will provide. OTOH, high end IEM are often extremely efficient and need a very clean amp so you don't hear background hiss.

If your sound card is already decent then just running it's line out into an amplifier will give you plenty of clean power for either the HD800 or LCD-GX. The JDS Atom, Shciit Magni Heresy, Geshell Arcell 2.5 Pro, (Mass)Drop O2, or Topping L30 (make sure to get a band new on of these - older ones had some issues) are common "budget" choices. They may be inexpensive, but they all have exemplary performance.

OP
R

RasAhGhul

Thank you for all of this information this is very helpful. So i don't think my PC has a legit sound card. I have whatever the Asus x570 E motherboard comes with.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have whatever the Asus x570 E motherboard comes with.

I checked Asus's site and they are claiming some good specs. Motherboards don't usually seem to live up to them, but it still might be decent.

Probably worth it to try that first and see if you're satisfied before spending money on a DAC.

Also if you use any of the DSP options in the integrated sound card's driver (EQ, virtual surround, etc) then you'd want to make sure to get a DAC with an optical in so that you can let the PC do the processing and have the outboard DAC to the analog conversion. A Topping E30 or Schiit Modi3+ would be good for that.

If you don't need the optical in the Topping D10S would work too.

OP
R

RasAhGhul

Great ! is there a Dac/Amp combo you'd recommend ? and what are your thoughts on these more gamer specific amps such as the GSX 1000amp, or the schiit Fula?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great ! is there a Dac/Amp combo you'd recommend ?

What's your budget? There aren't really a ton of those that excel in both areas.

and what are your thoughts on these more gamer specific amps such as the GSX 1000amp, or the schiit Fula?

Glancing over the specs on Schiit's site I'd take the Hel over the Fulla. It's got a ton more power and should be a little cleaner too.

AFIK, the draw of something like the GSX 1000 is it's virtual surround processing and possibly mic integration for voice chat but I've never used one or read and in depth technical review so I couldn't tell you much. My gut is that it wouldn't meare all that well, but that the features would make up for that if you needed them. Also I'd guess that the amplifier circuit will be pretty weak for the HD800 since their matching headsets are much more sensitive.

I mostly play single player games which are in stereo so I don't keep up on that end of things.

Risc1911

Been looking into stepping up my Headphone game but not sure if I'm getting in over my head with these higher end headphones that require amps to fully utilize them. I've been using Audeze mobius headset for w years now and have enjoyed them very much. But I now need to replace some plastic bits that have unfortunately worn down and cracked and am in the middle of figuring out If they're covered by warranty or if they can even be repaired. So that brings me here, been reading the hd800 series is incredible for gaming. What would a good amp be for these? This pair would be used pretty much 100% for gaming. And do you need to be trained in the art of audio to fully utilize these ? Also would the HD700s be a better choice for what in looking for? Any other recommendations? Thank you

I bought a HD800S for gaming and everyday use. I play both PC and PS5. After testing a lot of Headphones and using a AKG K712 Pro for almost 10+ years i was looking for something that would have a an even better sound stage and clarity. K712 is a hard headphone to beat for it's price.

I went for the HD 800 S + Dekoni sheepskin hybrid ear pads (the original ones are just not my thing at all and i did not have enough pressure)

I then went on to test all kinds of AMP and DAC combos. There really is not much difference other than power, dynamics and a tiny smidgeon more stage in a true balanced setup with multiple DAC chips. It's very small though and you will not miss it when immersed in a game.

One big reason i went for the RME ADI-2 was the ability to EQ which helps in some games that lack treble or bass and the very good build quality. I also have peace of mind when it comes to warranty since RME is a Pro audio equipment company i can rely on if i run into trouble.

I do however wish the setup was not almost 3000 Euro in total. That just sounds wrong for a gaming audio setup.

OP
R

RasAhGhul

How has your experience been with the Hd800s ? Also what do you use for a mic ? yea that setup might be a bit over what I'm looking to spend lol

OP
R

RasAhGhul

so you recommend just starting out with an AMP (The JDS Atom, Shciit Magni Heresy, Geshell Arcell 2.5 Pro) for the HD800? the headset is already pushing my budget so im just looking for a simple setup that isnt too complex. what are some DAC recommendations ? i might just go ahead and get both just to be safe ? unless its unnecessary ?

Iglo

Forum Donor
If the onboard soundcard isn't living up to expectations a cheap option would be to use the Apple USB-C headphone dongle (just add a USB C to A adapter if your motherboard doesn't have USB C). $9 for the Apple dongle and if needed $9 for the adapter.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so you recommend just starting out with an AMP (The JDS Atom, Shciit Magni Heresy, Geshell Arcell 2.5 Pro) for the HD800?

That's definitely the way to start if you want to keep your budget under control. The order of importance is usually:

Headphone>>>>>>Amp>>>>>>DAC

what are some DAC recommendations ?

Do you use any of the DSP options in the integrated sound card's driver, EQ, virtual surround, etc?

If so, then you'd want to make sure to get a DAC with an optical in so that you can let the PC do the processing and have the outboard DAC to the analog conversion. A Topping E30 or Schiit Modi3+ would be good for that.

If you don't need the optical in the Topping D10S would work too.

OP
R

RasAhGhul

Thank you! One last thing as i just saw a Gamer / Youtuber i follow who uses the HD800s as his main gaming headset. He was using the JDS labs El AMP and EL DAC setup which looked very clean as they stack on top of each other nicely. The both of those is probs the most id be willing to spend. As far as DSP options i don't typically play with any of those. Audeze is sending me a brand new pair of Mobius headphones so im trying to decide if im going to keep them or just sell them and up my game to the HD800s..

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For gaming I recommend Creative Sound BlasterX G6, not sure it's amp has enough power to drive something like HD800 in it's full swing (actually I think it can) but probably have enough for 90 dB so eventually additional amp is required. https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/user-report.php?id=574#gsc.tab=0
How ever I would recommend you AKG K702 hedaphones (ih they fit your criteria and ears).

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as DSP options i don't typically play with any of those.

He was using the JDS labs El AMP and EL DAC setup which looked very clean as they stack on top of each other nicely.

If it's just going to be going gaming and you don't need the optical input from you motherboard then you could just grab the Element II instead. It's a clean and sleek AIO.

I think the only reason to get the EL separates would be the extra inputs.

Risc1911

How has your experience been with the Hd800s ? Also what do you use for a mic ? yea that setup might be a bit over what I'm looking to spend lol
so you recommend just starting out with an AMP (The JDS Atom, Shciit Magni Heresy, Geshell Arcell 2.5 Pro) for the HD800? the headset is already pushing my budget so im just looking for a simple setup that isnt too complex. what are some DAC recommendations ? i might just go ahead and get both just to be safe ? unless its unnecessary ?

The HD800S amazing for gaming. Rain, thunder, birds, wind etc. are so real it's uncanny. My brain got fooled a few times by sounds like a door opening or knocking. It does need some help with bass in games though, i would suggest to use a low shelf EQ around 60-70Hz or some deep bass at 40Hz.

I have been using the SMSL SD793ii (https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD-793II-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM) for a long time. It can drive the HD800S without an issue. For the price ($70) it's a real steal DAC/AMP.

I use a mic arm and the Shure SM7B. Again way overboard for just gaming.

I would suggest either the Antlion Mod Mic (https://antlionaudio.com/) or a decent Lapel Mic (Rode Lavalier GO) you can clip to your shirt or the headphone cord. They sound very good if you get one for $50-$80.

OP
R

RasAhGhul

The HD800S amazing for gaming. Rain, thunder, birds, wind etc. are so real it's uncanny. My brain got fooled a few times by sounds like a door opening or knocking. It does need some help with bass in games though, i would suggest to use a low shelf EQ around 60-70Hz or some deep bass at 40Hz.

I have been using the SMSL SD793ii (https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD-793II-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM) for a long time. It can drive the HD800S without an issue. For the price ($70) it's a real steal DAC/AMP.

I use a mic arm and the Shure SM7B. Again way overboard for just gaming.

I would suggest either the Antlion Mod Mic (https://antlionaudio.com/) or a decent Lapel Mic (Rode Lavalier GO) you can clip to your shirt or the headphone cord. They sound very good if you get one for $50-$80.

Damn dude that sounds like you've got a pretty legit setup lol That Bluetooth Mod mic looks pretty sweet. What are your thoughts on the recommended DAC/AMP combo above the Element II? Would there be much of a performance difference ? And when you're talking about the low shelf EQ is that another piece of equipment or software ? This stuff is kind of new to me I'm coming from a Audeze Mobius headset so I'm assuming the HD800s would be a pretty big upgrade in sound quality ? i'm very close to pulling the trigger !

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And when you're talking about the low shelf EQ is that another piece of equipment or software ?

That would be some other kind of hardware or software.

Explanation of Parametric EQ here.

List of EQ software here.

Software EQ may introduce too much lag for gaming but it really depends on the exact software and what side of the bed Windows woke up on.

Hardware EQ, such as included in the RME ADI-2 DAC that @Risc1911 mentioned, is guaranteed low latency.

I'm coming from a Audeze Mobius headset so I'm assuming the HD800s would be a pretty big upgrade in sound quality ?

The HD800 would be a huge upgrade in clarity and sound-staging but won't have as much bass as the Mobius, hence the EQ.

Risc1911

Damn dude that sounds like you've got a pretty legit setup lol That Bluetooth Mod mic looks pretty sweet. What are your thoughts on the recommended DAC/AMP combo above the Element II? Would there be much of a performance difference ? And when you're talking about the low shelf EQ is that another piece of equipment or software ? This stuff is kind of new to me I'm coming from a Audeze Mobius headset so I'm assuming the HD800s would be a pretty big upgrade in sound quality ? i'm very close to pulling the trigger !
The HD800 would be a huge upgrade in clarity and sound-staging but won't have as much bass as the Mobius, hence the EQ.

The 800 is a really bright and clear headphone. It has Bass but nowhere near the levels you want for games (for Music it is fine most of the time). EQ helps to make it sound even bigger and more impactful.

Top Bottom