• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hd560 o sundara

joasjoas

I have a beyerdinamic dt990 600ohm, along with a smsl su8, and project polaris amp, the use is exclusive for games, and I was thinking of changing to something that gives more detail, for example when I play at fps. I’m reading good reviews for the HD560 and HiFiMAN Sundara or maybe look at other models?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of those too and had many others. If you want a clear upgrade for gaming from those, the Audio Technica adh1000x has a bigger soundstage better imaging, and they're tuned for the female vocal range which is popular for music in Japan. They're great for gaming, but hard to find. Also really easy to drive, even a gaming console controller can power them.
The Grado 325 is better, but only gaming as the bass is lacking. The hd800s is epic but expensive. The hd8xx Drop makes from a liquidator on ebay is good, then remove the top and bottom stickers inside but leave the middle one for tuning closer to the original at a relative bargain. The hd598 is better than the 560, and the Hifiman he560 is better for gaming than the Sundara. The Sundara has a really wide soundstage but it's flat as a pancake so things in front and behind you are just noticable when something is right on top of you.
The dt990 has good detail, maybe check noise floor if your USB ports are noisy, like a Few smart USB card which I use. Pause a song and turn the volume up to check The Hifiman he6se is great for gaming if you have the power, Adorama has them on sale for $399 if you sign up for the newsletter and search from there.

Paolo

I have a beyerdinamic dt990 600ohm, along with a smsl su8, and project polaris amp, the use is exclusive for games, and I was thinking of changing to something that gives more detail, for example when I play at fps. I’m reading good reviews for the HD560 and HiFiMAN Sundara or maybe look at other models?
I do not have the dt990 and can’t compare it. But I have both the Sundara and the 560S, for my ears the 560S are more precise in defining the special positioning of a sound source in games. The Sundara have a more spacious sound, which is great for music, less so for gaming where it become a bit harder to pinpoint a sound source in a 3D environment. But I also suspect that this is subjective, meaning that your head and ears shape may change how you may perceive the soundstage.

usern

But I also suspect that this is subjective, meaning that your head and ears shape may change how you may perceive the soundstage.
For gaming, training your ears and sense of space for one certain pair (and perhaps even for certain game as games have different spatial sound also) is the key. Differences between models matter less, lots of experience with one model matters most. This in mind, you should go for the most comfortable pair that does not make your ears sweat and don't hurt the contact point between headband and head, lightness helps and that's why I would say go for Sennheiser 560S. Or just keep using dt990 if you don't really have any problem with it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For gaming HD560S.
VERY different from DT990 which is warmer with a lot of treble (fake detail) where HD560S is less colored in bass and mids but brighter.
Sundara is relatively bass-light and has more (fake) detail due to a treble peak but not nearly as much as DT990.

Set Polaris to medium or high output R to give the HD560S a bit more warmth. This trick does not work for Sundara (or most other planars)

Own HD560S (more than 1), own DT990 and owned more than 1, owned Sundara but sold it.
Am not a gamer but my son is and he liked using the HD560S the best with gaming.

Last edited:
OP
J

joasjoas

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home has been recommended to me, but I can't find references in games on the forums

Last edited:

Paolo

Isn’t that a wireless model? Quality aside, I will be way more inclined to use wireless headphones for music than for games. Why introduce any lag?

Top Bottom