• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harmonic Overtones over 20kHz and speakers

WideWorldWill

Just curious on Frequency ranges of speakers (and electronics I guess) as to whether Harmonic Overtones that are over 20kHz effect sound in the normal hearing range? Has any test been done to verify definitively or is it opinion. In some respects I think it would, how much so I don't know. Just thinking like adding notes to chord changes it, does the vibrations of post audible harmonics effect vibrations of sound in the audible range.

probably overthinking... Just thought it was an interesting thought and I hope to be in the market for speakers soon and was wondering if it was something I should consider.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
whether Harmonic Overtones that are over 20kHz effect sound in the normal hearing range?
I think I remember @restorer-john and @marchaudio debating the same stuff in relation to class D amps versus class A/AB. I'm not sure how harmonics above the hearing range could affect the lower hearing range frequencies but then I'm not a expert @ Fourier Transform Theory and related topics. I imagine that is a whole study in itself and is one that I have not studied to any appreciable significant degree in a formal setting. (aka. It's over my head.) :D

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how harmonics above the hearing range could affect the lower hearing range frequencies ...
Theoretically two high harmonics could intermodulate and produce a spurious tone much lower in pitch, down in the audible band. Also theoretically, too-high-to-hear harmonics could pointlessly consume amplifier power better made available within the audio band. Also theoretically, high harmonics could excite tweeter resonances designed to sit above the audio band, thereby causing uncontrolled break-up of the dome, which would ruin response inside the audio band.

In the real world, such outcomes are highly unlikely, mostly because of the tiny powers involved. Really not worth worrying about.

OP
W

WideWorldWill

After I thought about what I posted. I didn't intend to ask if it affects it in a bad way, but rather if a speaker went to 20kHz would the lack or harmonics over 20kHz alter what was normally heard on a system that had the Harmonic Overtones over 20kHz in a recording that had those harmonic overtones... My rephrasing wasn't much better... sorry

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
After I thought about what I posted. I didn't intend to ask if it affects it in a bad way, but rather if a speaker went to 20kHz would the lack or harmonics over 20kHz alter what was normally heard on a system that had the Harmonic Overtones over 20kHz in a recording that had those harmonic overtones... My rephrasing wasn't much better... sorry

If there were audible effects from those harmonics, they would have been recorded originally, then are reproduced as they occurred with the music.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Amir, this would be a great de-bunking topic. Show speaker and amp FR and multi tone IMD with and without ultrasonic input. What comes out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Amir, this would be a great de-bunking topic. Show speaker and amp FR with and without ultrasonic input. What comes out?
The difference between class A/AB and class D would be a cool test with the low pass filter used on the class D amps versus the wide bandwidth of a class A/AB amp.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
but rather if a speaker went to 20kHz would the lack or harmonics over 20kHz alter what was normally heard on a system that had the Harmonic Overtones over 20kHz in a recording that had those harmonic overtones...
If everything is linear and nothing "goes wrong" anything above the hearing range doesn't matter and it doesn't matter if it's filtered-out or not. For example, if you mix a 10KHz and 100kHz signal linearly (without distortion) that's all you get. No new frequencies are created and you'll hear the "pure" 10kHz. (There is "mythology" that ultrasonic sounds or simply ultrasonic capability in a tweeter somehow contributes to the sound.)

Top Bottom