• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Handler Vendor ID and Encoder in metadata of media file (audio /video)

Haider881

Hi,

In metadata of audio/ video there are some flags with the name of Handler Vendor ID and Encoder. I have few queries regarding these flags:
1) What does Handler Vendor ID represent? e.g In a file I found the tag value for handler Vendor ID as Apple. Is this tag value represent the device manufacturer name by which this recording was made or show the device from which it was uploaded to some social media platform?
2) Is handler Vendor ID value change with sharing the media file with some body on any social media platforms?
3) what is mean by Encoder flag? for a media file I found the tag value for Encoder as Lavf57.19.100. On which factors does this tag value depends. Is this depend on device manufacturer, model, software version or social media platforms to/ from which it has been uploaded/ downloaded?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Haider.

charleski

Major Contributor
Handler Vendor ID only has relevance within the supply chain of the service from which you purchased the media. I know Apple uses this field, not sure about others, but it’s really just there to service their internal systems and has no meaning outside that.

Encoder is simply the program used to create the file, in this case libavformat version 5.19.1, which is the muxer library used in ffmpeg.

OP
H

Haider881

Handler Vendor ID only has relevance within the supply chain of the service from which you purchased the media. I know Apple uses this field, not sure about others, but it’s really just there to service their internal systems and has no meaning outside that.

Encoder is simply the program used to create the file, in this case libavformat version 5.19.1, which is the muxer library used in ffmpeg.
Thanks alot charleski. if I record an audio file e.g with xiaomi or Samsung galaxy mobile phone. its metadata does not contain handler vendor ID. but when i convert this audio to video through any online website and then analyse its metadata then its metadata contain Handler Vendor ID: Apple. I did not understand what should I understand from this tag? Is this represent that the online converting site uses Apple tool for conversion?

Regards,

Haider.

Top Bottom