• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hadn't seen anyone play Santoor this fast...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just FYI, the uploader is Ukrainian, and there that instrument is called a cimbalom :)

blackmetalboon

I thought it was a hammered dulcimer, but looking into it different regions have variants of that instrument.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm not convinced at all.

I think the actual audio recording is of a completely different performance, probably sighted. The video and the audio are not in sync (which can be our friends at youtube) but the sound does not change as the camera moves, has essentially zero spatial cues, remains perfectly central with no other noises apart from a bit of (overdubbed) city noise.

Yes, he plays the instrument, but not that time and that recording- it's dodgy.

Newk Yuler

I don't perceive a problem with the sync between what I see and the strikes but I don't hear the audio change with the movement of the camera (using stereo headphones) and I see no evidence of a stationary mic. Am I missing something?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I see no evidence of a stationary mic. Am I missing something?

I thought I saw one in this video but upon closer examination it's bicycle handlebars...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
He was on "Ukraine's Got Talent":

It's fast compared to way Iranian traditional music (for santoor):

And compared to the way Russian hammered gusli is usually played it's very fast.

But what's really interesting is that Skazkiv is playing the first example I've come across of modern music on this instrument, which usually reserved for traditional music set to traditional poetry or devotional lyrics. I'm talking really old, since in the regions I mentioned the traditions go back easily over 1000 years.

blackmetalboon

I received an email notification yesterday that a band I follow, Botanist - Bandcamp link, had released a new album. One of their USP’s is that they have eschewed the use of guitars, with the exception of bass, and use the hammered dulcimer.

While the music won’t be to everyones taste and the video isn’t the best quality here’s an example (skip to 3:10 mark for its unique sound).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I received an email notification yesterday that a band I follow, Botanist - Bandcamp link, had released a new album. One of their USP’s is that they have eschewed the use of guitars, with the exception of bass, and use the hammered dulcimer.
Wasn't expecting the screamo. Good example though.

Warcsi

Another example of 'cimbalom' play from my country:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Stravinsky - Ragtime for Eleven Instruments, one of which is cimbalom:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Another example of 'cimbalom' play from my country:
Amazing talent... although I was more than a little scared he was going to collapse at some point near the end! :eek:

Theo

I don't perceive a problem with the sync between what I see and the strikes but I don't hear the audio change with the movement of the camera (using stereo headphones) and I see no evidence of a stationary mic. Am I missing something?
A piezzo set of mikes glued inside on the harmony table, maybe?

Top Bottom