• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Alexsibo

SU-9 has around 1 bit of better multi-tone result, higher voltage output. X16 has ~1dB more SINAD. I would assume they are about equivalent.. buy what is cheaper or which you like the looks of :) X16 vs A18: the X16 is better in just about anything, objectively speaking? Unless you really want a collectible AK4499 DAC while AKM supplies still last, I'd opt for the newer X16, myself.

Thanks a lot.

Cortes

@Amir,
pls, measure as well the Toslink input. This think is a reference in performance, and better to have all the data.

The case is identical to my Gustard U16, which is the interfarce I use for my Genelecs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
9038Pro still better in theory, but difficult to do implementation in absolute perfection?
9068 only has two pair of balanced outputs like 9038q2m. 9038pro however has 8. How to implement is a matter of cost and optimization. 9068 is much much cheaper than 9038pro but also a lot more expensive than 9038q. Even though the okto dac8 stereo (using 9028pro) only seems to be a little bit better, due to the limitation of APx555, it's in fact another 3dB better. The 9038pro should be even better. At this level of performance it's the analyzer that's limiting the performance, and we aren't really picking hair.

Veri

Master Contributor
9068 only has two pair of balanced outputs like 9038q2m. 9038pro however has 8. How to implement is a matter of cost and optimization. 9068 is much much cheaper than 9038pro but also a lot more expensive than 9038q. Even though the okto dac8 stereo (using 9028pro) only seems to be a little bit better, due to the limitation of APx555, it's in fact another 3dB better. The 9038pro should be even better. At this level of performance it's the analyzer that's limiting the performance, and we aren't really picking hair.
Time for Amir to get the AP555x upgrade? :D not a solution though, then we can't properly compare old measurements anymore hehe.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Time for Amir to get the AP555x upgrade? :D not a solution though, then we can't properly compare old measurements anymore hehe.
M400 still has better performance at 5.3V which is at AP's best performance voltage level. You can parallel left and right just to see the future. But at 4V, the noise performance is really limited by AP.
I would say when everyone reaches this level of performance we finally can see the other things that differentiate the product like DSP, ADC, integration with power amp etc.

Palex

-https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/decoder-dac/products/gustard-dac-x16-bluetooth-5-0-two-es9068as-mqa-full-decoding-xu216-processor-oled-screen-high-performance-audio-dac?variant=37476470947991

Cortes

M400 still has better performance at 5.3V which is at AP's best performance voltage level. You can parallel left and right just to see the future. But at 4V, the noise performance is really limited by AP.
I would say when everyone reaches this level of performance we finally can see the other things that differentiate the product like DSP, ADC, integration with power amp etc.

yes, IMO the most interesting DACs out there is the Oktoresarch Stereo for performance and features, those double XLRs are perfect for double use with headphones and speakers. The best in terms of features is the RME ADI-2, but is lagging in terms of performance since they have not jumped to the AK4499

kopczas

yes, IMO the most interesting DACs out there is the Oktoresarch Stereo for performance and features

Okto is more then 2 times the price of this Gustard. Eyewise it looks better to me but looking at numbers I don`t knot is it worth it. Gustard is not more then 2 times worse then Okto.

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This product makes me very happy.
In the past period of time, I stopped measuring (because my second son was born). By the way, I lent the APX555B to Guatard for free. This product is their final result.

I am very happy to see that my dream of promoting the progress of China's audio industry is gradually realized.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
This product makes me very happy.
In the past period of time, I stopped measuring (because my second son was born). By the way, I lent the APX555B to Guatard for free. This product is their final result.

I am very happy to see that my dream of promoting the progress of China's audio industry is gradually realized.
Haaa, we can realise the progress done by the Chinese industry in term of nice audio gear.

It occurs in the best window frame, when Amir starts to produce measurements and offers us this website.

Nice planets conjunction.

And congratulations for your second son.

Nejiro

I got the A18 last week that I am satisfied with so far, this would be similar but with chip sabre?

Nejiro

What changes in substance considering that I am not interested in mqa? And among other things, mqa is also present in the a18 .....

Top Bottom