• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Such products makes me feel bad for being broke. This is everything that i have been looking for!
Good motivation to start saving. At least you'll know that you're getting your money's worth when you're ready to buy :)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just joined a group chat with Chinese fans/customers of Gustard. They recommend x16 than a18 due to the power supply. One thing to clarify: both use the same linear power supply(one 9v 20w). But a18’s one chip of ak4499 consumes a lot of power than two chips of ess 9068. They complaint a18 about the power supply is not enough for ak4499, so some of them said there is obvious audio difference that you can hear between a18 and a22(2x50w power supply). But the 20w power supply is enough for dual 9068. So they suggest me whether buying new x16(beautiful data) or a22(good feedback of customers). The only drawback of x16 is that it is quite new, no one has experience with it. There was one guy told me that a22 is more better than d90, he compared both them, he could identify a22’s better performance immediately, he returned d90 then.

Anyway, I ordered x16 yesterday night for $449usd with 11.11 sale.

Just want to keep your post in my files.
I had the A22 and enjoyed it very much sonically. I have the D90 for different reasons now.
Though Dac's seem to make no difference as indicated here and there, I'm still convinced that power supply and some other elements can make a difference, in my perception. Not talking about blind testing though.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Actually, you're all on your own. I just pre-ordered one in Silver (looks great) from Shenzhen Audio's own site! (sure as heck don't need another DAC tho!)

The cheapskate that I am, so one usually buying items used, I've been waiting for something new with this level of performance and features for an affordable price for a long time. No reason to wait and have an endless internal debate about it. ;)

Btw, saw the weirdest thing ever while checking out. They have a "leave a Tip" feature on the checkout form. I did so, admittedly the minimum default; remember, cheapskate here. Is this something common with chinese e-commerce sites?
Saw that too and ordered from Apos

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think having Wifi or at least Roon ready would have made this the best bang for the buck DAC on the market.

Reactions: m8o

rudy

i was going to buy the RME but after viewing the manual online i demurred and this looks much easier. i am too old to mess around with the complexity of the RME, just need a simpler plug and play DAC upgrade to my venerable NAD D1050

rudy

i have a Oppo 103 blu-ray player and i will stream Tidal MQA via the coax out to the X16. the Oppo does not do MQA, but will the the X16 recognize the undecoded MQA PCM stream and fully unfold it?

Veri

Master Contributor
i have a Oppo 103 blu-ray player and i will stream Tidal MQA via the coax out to the X16. the Oppo does not do MQA, but will the the X16 recognize the undecoded MQA PCM stream and fully unfold it?
If it does nothing to the original data, it should pick up that it's an MQA stream.. in theory..

rudy

can i bypass the volume control and op-amps and use this with a high quality integrated amplifier

rudy

i was wondering if there is a fixed output function on the set up menu? did not see this option in manual?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i was wondering if there is a fixed output function on the set up menu? did not see this option in manual?

well there are only two outputs, XLR and RCA.

I think both outputs are active at the same time, if not there will definitely be an option to pick one.

m8o

Forum Donor
well there are only two outputs, XLR and RCA.

I think both outputs are active at the same time, if not there will definitely be an option to pick one.

I thought he was referring to bypassing the circuit-based volume control.

Top Bottom