• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grounding Issue from Connecting my Class D Hypex Amp to Subwoofer's Speaker Level Inputs?

I'm having a (what I think is a Grounding) issue with my Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR amp, connecting to my active sub's speaker level inputs (RSL Speedwoofer 10s).

Setup: Source = PC > Duok U2 PRO XMOS XU208 Digital Interface > Schiit Modi DAC > Schiit Loki preamp > Schiit Vali2+ headphone/preamp > Audiophonics MPA-S250NX XLR Amp > Speakers (RCA/Banana Plug from Amp's Output)
> RSL Sub, Speaker Level In (Spade Connectors also coming from the Amp's same Output)

• When I make the connection to any of the Sub's Speaker Level Inputs I get a significant, constant humming from the subwoofer. I am reasonably sure this is a grounding issue.
  • It occurs even when the amplifier is Audiophonics amp is powered off
  • Both the sub and amp are connected to the same outlet (power strip)
    • I tried connecting the sub to an entirely different outlet, issue remained
  • I was using a different amp recently that has a dedicated sub out (RSL ia255.1) without any hum, I just tried upgrading to the Audiophonics and from my research this spade connection to sub speaker level in seemed like the simplest way to connect my sub. I don't have any other available connections on my preamps in this setup.
Since discovering the issue and doing some research, I'm reading that some Class D amp's black speaker terminals are not actually grounded, rather both terminals of each output are active. Is this the case with my Audiophonics amp? If so this means I have a grounding issue, is there an easier/cleaner solution than buying a Line Out Converter?

Spade connectors connecting around the 4 outputs
2024-03-19 19_46_15-AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Power Amplifier Class D Stereo Ncore NC252MP 2...png

into the Speaker Level Inputs (bottom middle)
2024-03-19 19_50_23-.png

Thanks in advance!

pma

Major Contributor
@TheElementOfSurprise , I can help you if you post the simplified drawIng of the whole system. Audiophonics MPA-S250NX amplifier has one speaker output terminal grounded, as it is based on NC252MP. Ground loop issues are severly underestimated at ASR, for unknown reason.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What happens if you just connect your Sub directly from your preamp's line out? I don't see the need to use your Amp. I may have misunderstood though.

JeremyFife

What happens if you just connect your Sub directly from your preamp's line out? I don't see the need to use your Amp. I may have misunderstood though.
Update: I just realised that the Loki has only one line out. I think, and can be corrected, that you can still split the line out signal and send it to both your amp and your Sub. I think a simple Y-adapter will work fine for you.

OP
T
Update: I just realised that the Loki has only one line out. I think, and can be corrected, that you can still split the line out signal and send it to both your amp and your Sub. I think a simple Y-adapter will work fine for you.
So something like below; plug the male end into the Loki line outs, send 1/2 to Amp and 2/2 to Sub?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am not a fan of running the main speakers full-range and using high-level subwoofer inputs but the topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

One fairly simple solution I have used in the past is to stick resistors of 100 to 1k ohms in series with all four wires to the sub. That is usually high enough to break a ground loop and low enough to not cause too much voltage loss. The speaker-level inputs are usually high impedance but I do not know how high for RSL. I think I used 470 ohms last time for a friend because I had them and it was not a value I used often so didn't mind losing them.

JeremyFife

OP
T
@TheElementOfSurprise , I can help you if you post the simplified drawIng of the whole system. Audiophonics MPA-S250NX amplifier has one speaker output terminal grounded, as it is based on NC252MP. Ground loop issues are severly underestimated at ASR, for unknown reason.
will do when I get home from work, don't want to get something wrong from memory alone

Top Bottom