• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Graham Slee Novo Headphone Amplifier

deprogrammed

HWD: 4.25"x4.25"x2" excluding controls and connectors
Output: 150mW RMS into 32Ω, 40mW rms into 600Ω (both channels fully driven - 0.05% THD)
Input Impedance: greater than 39kΩ
Recommended input range: 200mV - 1V rms (2.8V p-p)
Frequency Response (worst case):
Flat: 43Hz to 16kHz (-1dB), 22Hz to 30kHz (-3dB) (volume control at 3 o'clock position)
Channel Balance: 0.5dB typical
Hum & Noise: -80dB CCIR Q-pk 20Hz-20kHz (into 30Ω)
Stereo Crosstalk: -64dB typical
Distortion (THD+Noise): 0.02% at 1 kHz into 30Ω, and 12 o'clock volume control position

Not sure about the other specs but seems under powered and broken to me.

3125b

Major Contributor
Those nubers would have been unimpressive 50 years ago.

In addition to those specs the amp has to have around 42Z output impedance.
80dB SNR at full power is terrible of course, the 100$ JDS Atom manages 124dB, 92dB at 50mV.
The noise floor will probably be very audible with sensitive headphones. The FR rolloff is bad and audible.
The crosstalk is bad but should be inaudible, THD is bad but should not be plainly audible.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
It's better, but still pretty bad.
You could buy a Schiit Magni or a JDS Atom or a Topping L30 (by now they shoud be sending out fixed units) for <150£ I'm sure.

Mal

Sounds good to me! I've been using the Graham Slee Novo with Senn HD650s for over a decade.

It won What HiFi?'s "headphone amp of the year" award three years running, and was used by Sennheiser to demo their 6xx headphones at trade shows.

If it was "underpowered and broken and bad and unimpressive" how could it have achieved such prestige?

OK *maybe* now, a decade later, you can find better specs at a lower price, but why not have a listen?

Graham Slee has an active loan programme, so why not compare your "Chinamp of choice" with a loaned Novo?

Mal

What's wrong with "chinamp"? Just an extension of "chifi". But, OK, it might have people scratching their chin, so I'll try not to wax so poetical from now on...

Top Bottom