• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No sound from amplifier (Cambridge AXR-100)

JayGould

I've had this amplifier for a little over 3 years. I have a pair of Klipsch floor speakers connected to it. Last time I used my system was a month ago. I then went on vacation and since I came back, there is no sound from the stereo. I have tried connecting the speakers to a different amplifier, and then there is sound. So the problem seems to be the amplifier.

Other things I have done:
  • Bought new speaker cables. Still no sound.
  • Tried connecting a different pair of speakers. No sound.
  • Connected headphones into the headphone jack on the amp. No sound.
  • Muted and un-muted the amplifier using the remote.
  • Tried connecting both via AUX and Bluetooth.
  • Tried connecting with multiple different devices.
What else can I do? And what could be the problem? The amp turns on normally. Everything seems to work, except that it doesn't produce any sound.

Fred H

Forum Donor
The "factory reset" mentioned in this thread might help; the thread suggests several other possible fixes - and some failures.

OP
J

JayGould

The "factory reset" mentioned in this thread might help; the thread suggests several other possible fixes - and some failures.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried both factory reset and turning off APD. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Did you try changing the A/B mode?

Yes, I've made sure that it is in the correct mode. I have tried it on both A and B.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anyone else use your system ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no sound with headphones connected either.
I don't know how the Cambridge connects the headphones. Way back in the old days most receivers tapped the power amp output with resistor to limit power and send it to the headphones. So if that is the case here it just means you are getting no power at the output stage.

Sounds like you'll have to have someone open it up to find out why. If it is easy to pull the cover, pull it off and see if any caps have leaked or smoked or blown up. I had an amp once I had mistakenly left on while out of town for a week. When I returned my amp didn't work. Opening it up a couple of the power supply caps were burnt. Apparently a thunderstorm did it in. And there may be fuses inside.

Shannow85

I don't know how the Cambridge connects the headphones. Way back in the old days most receivers tapped the power amp output with resistor to limit power and send it to the headphones. So if that is the case here it just means you are getting no power at the output stage.

Sounds like you'll have to have someone open it up to find out why. If it is easy to pull the cover, pull it off and see if any caps have leaked or smoked or blown up. I had an amp once I had mistakenly left on while out of town for a week. When I returned my amp didn't work. Opening it up a couple of the power supply caps were burnt. Apparently a thunderstorm did it in. And there may be fuses inside.
There's at least two fuses on the power supply board from what I saw. Apparently one is clear so it's easy to check. The other seems opaque so it needs an ohmmeter to check continuity.
No funny smell inside? Caps can stin when blown.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the internal fuses are blown you can replace them just to have the problem reassert itself....so what is the problem?

OP
J

JayGould

Thanks for the replies. I handed the amplifier to a local shop and they told me the following (direct quote):

"There is a problem with the outputs, powers and drivers. It will cost you $200 to repair it."

Does this sound reasonable? Or can I repair this cheaper by taking it elsewhere?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. I handed the amplifier to a local shop and they told me the following (direct quote):

"There is a problem with the outputs, powers and drivers. It will cost you $200 to repair it."

Does this sound reasonable? Or can I repair this cheaper by taking it elsewhere?
Accept no less than a written 90 day full warranty on the repair for this sort of device. That is my personal standard that I maintained for 15 years as a electronic service technician. If they cannot provide that 90 days written warranty then they are not confident in either the unit or their repair work. $200 seem average for a price. It's neither high nor low. :D

Top Bottom