• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grados

Fish17

Have a pair of SR80e I bought cheap, tried them for about 2 hours, never used them again.
Plus, build quality is meh, and non removable cables suck.
Yeah the non-removable cable is a dealbreaker for me. They get twisted too because of the post design.

I love the wood grain of the RS series though.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 Have you tried any of the PEQ profiles from AutoEQ repository? Grado PS1000

Yes- none work well. I have used them as starting points and tweaked but I am still struggling to find one that works with all music types and volumes.

And I say this as a fairly recent convert to EQ and something resembling the Harman target and have had success with a few other HP. Ive even got the GS1000 dialled in to sound damn good. But the PS1000 are tricky beasts.

thunderchicken

I still have my original pair of SR125s. I did a leather headband upgrade and some new earcup foam after those disintegrated. They were my first foray into "high end" audio and I used them with a Total BitHead and then a Millet portable hybrid amp on a modified clickwheel iPod. My impression now is that they're ridiculously cheaply made and have an accentuated "v-shaped" sound to them. I think I know where they went, now I need to pull them out of their case and try this "EQ" thing. Anyone have some 10-band settings handy?

bogart

Forum Donor
You’re definitely not crazy. I had a pair of SR-80 that after switching to the flat pads from SR60 (which probably took the treble down considerably!) were my only headphones for about 15 years. I was convinced they were the pinnacle but thought I should step up the line based on how much I enjoyed them.

Went to the 325e and loved them at first. My wife also thought they sounded super and loved using them. But they were heavy, and I never liked them as well as the 80s they replaced. Always a bit too shrill at the high end (metal housing in the 325 didn’t help!). With EQ they improved but feeling they’d delivered poor value for money had me listening to new stuff.

I replaced them with Hifiman Sundara; they need EQ too but start a lot closer to target and respond a lot better. I miss the charm of the Grado but not the sound or comfort. I always wanted some of the large format wooden ones, but have to admit that was mostly looks drawing me in.

I may pick up some Sennheiser 650 or Dan Clark audio set someday, but don’t think I could switch back anymore to Grado, sadly.

brimble

Forum Donor
Have you tried (and do you have the ability) to EQ them? Really does make a huge difference

I totally believe you, and in the past I would have tried it. These days there are just too many good pairs of phones! I have four expensive pairs and one cheap pair and that is enough. But that's just me. Go Grado for those who have the time and money to keep experimenting (except that I have no enthusiasm for the most expensive Grados, which are just ridiculously overpriced).

Raindog123

Major Contributor
With my 50+ ears, brightness does not bother me one thing. Only a plus... :) Plenty of genres sound wonderful in these. And when I want bass, I grab my HifiMan‘s (over Roon’s EQ), or power-up my floorstanders.

F2206927-B051-4C11-B735-EA6EC9425EDE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have my original pair of SR125s. I did a leather headband upgrade and some new earcup foam after those disintegrated. They were my first foray into "high end" audio and I used them with a Total BitHead and then a Millet portable hybrid amp on a modified clickwheel iPod. My impression now is that they're ridiculously cheaply made and have an accentuated "v-shaped" sound to them. I think I know where they went, now I need to pull them out of their case and try this "EQ" thing. Anyone have some 10-band settings handy?

Search the model here. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

I'd avoid putting as much bass on as suggested and don't carve out as much treble as most suggest or they lose all their character. But definitely can be made to sound more balanced.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sold mine on another site and when I listed the ad I described the sound as 'tinny'.

But with the right music they're excellent.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold mine on another site and when I listed the ad I described the sound as 'tinny'.

But with the right music they're excellent.

At higher volumes , they transform. To "abrasive" !

King3567

I had a pair of 225 10+ years ago, but I sold them because I wanted the $200 for something else I suppose. Just bought myself a new pair because I always liked em. I have hd600 and a 2 channel system that I’ve tinkered with over the years, so I’m set as far as normal listening. Just wanted these guys cause they sound fun.

I like a lot of music now, but sometimes the best music is the music you listened to when you were 18-20. So I fired up Pixies - Surfer Rosa and doolittle, and Surfer Rosa especially sounds totally awesome with these headphones. Anyways, they won’t win any awards around here and I certainly wouldn’t pick them as my only tool. But, I’m glad I bought them. Might try some EQ options

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I clearly have no taste in these parts, as I love mine! original 80, 60e, 325e, Hemp and soon to be added 325x. I've owned various Beyers and AKG over the years, and none quite got my attention as much as the Grado, it helps that I buy into the idiosyncratic design too. I don't care if they're accurate or not, so not concerned with any measurements! Heresy, but I love them. I do agree that a bit of EQ on some of them helps for younger more sensitive ears, particularly the 325e, but a some judicious pad rolling can go a long way to effecting that.

aandres_gm

A couple of years back I auditioned the Grado line-up from the 60e to the 325e. In my opinion, the sweet spot is the 80e, the 60e is also decent and cheaper (about what I'd expect for the lousy build quality and the terrible packaging). The rest? Way too bright for my taste, and actually all too similar.

I did end up getting the 60e (new at craigslist). I enjoyed them for a year before selling them for a profit last month.

AudioAaron

I had SR80's as 10-years ago they were recommended as a great entry-level, bang-for-buck phone. I found the stock pads unbearable. I rolled up some socks for earpads. They were the only headphones I managed to break (headband/posts). Did not like the sound, anyway.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I audioned the gs1000 a couple of times and thought they were very nice. The 325 were too bright for my liking.

I think it was the price of the gs1000's that prevented me from buying them. I already had the Sennheiser hd650 at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom