• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grados

Tom C

Major Contributor
I like the sound of my SR325e. Had them maybe 7 years now. but they’re just too heavy and uncomfortable to use them for long. Just got a pair of Sennheiser HD650. Much lighter and more comfortable, but I haven’t gotten used to the FR just yet. And they feel kind of cheap and plasticy. I like it when the ear ups and headband are lined with leather, and the overall feel is quality. I guess the synthetic stuff is more lightweight and comfortable for long listening sessions, but I’m old fashioned. So few headphones use quality materials. The pleather ear cups and headband used on Bose don’t even last a year before they crumble and shed. Drives me nuts.

weasels

I have a pair of 325s. I like them for classical for exactly the reason many here have mentioned - I'm in my late 40s and have some HF hearing loss. The Grados make up for that with their treble profile.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does one's age and hearing make a difference? - I'm 57, a bit of tinnitus in the left ear - I love my SR80s.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
superior in what regard? what do you mean by “natural”?
The instruments seem to sound closer to what they would sound like if you were playing one in the room. That is what I mean by natural.

2M2B

Grado Hemp shows they can make a HD600 style headphone. The Joe Grado headphones were famous in the 90s for rivalling what Sennheiser made. The current X gen they just launched pretty much fixes people finding their house sound too much.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes... there is improvement

JABrown

Has anyone compared the Grado Hemp vs. the SR2 and/or SR1? I started with the SR80e and thought they were fine for the music I like (primarily jazz but also blues, folk and some classical.) I now listen primarily to the Drop-Sennheiser HD 6xx. While the HD 6xx sounds "better" to me than the SR80e, I still think the SR80e is fine and wouldn't be adverse to spending $400-$600 on higher end Grado.

JWAmerica

I very much enjoyed the Grado soundstage. Only good for certain musical genres, but there is something to the appeal of Grado headphones. My Beyerdynamic DT880s were a completely different listening experience. Better for classical and cinema. The Grados excelled at rock and techno if the bass wasn't too deep.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_0035.jpeg

These are my SR80e that i modded slightly with new headband and G cushion's and the hideous gold paint.

Peterinvan

Grado 325is Mods

I converted my SR325is to take a removable cable. See

• Using a much lighter Meze balanced cable solved the weight problem.
  • Punching two holes in the felt driver damper added more bass and warmth.
  • Installing Grado G pads brightened things up a bit and solved the comfort problem

Happy :)

Top Bottom