• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good In Ceiling speakers?

madbrayniak

Hi all,

I live in an old house where the family room is a very tough space for sound.

I was going to stay with a 2.1 system but have recently started to look at options for 5.1 using all in ceiling speakers. Or 5.1.2 by using my bookshelf stereo pair with center as an in-ceiling and then L+R heights.

I have been looking at some in-ceiling options and I thought GoldenEar would work nicely but then I saw the HF spike and decided maybe those wouldn't be best. That lead me to KEF Uni-Q in ceiling or Revel C563 or C763.

I like the Revel because you can angle the tweeter and they supposedly still rely on Toole/Oliver research.

Im leaning to go with a two system route with 5.1 in ceiling using an AVR

Im looking for some input. I know rhis is not an optimal option for sound quality but i think its best for my situation.

Looking forward to any input.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Im looking for some input. I know rhis is not an optimal option for sound quality but i think its best for my situation.

Do they need to be flush mounted, or do you have enough ceiling height to be able hang a small speaker box? Maybe mounted high on walls?

I think going LR down and C up could be a bit wacky...

OP
M

madbrayniak

Do they need to be flush mounted, or do you have enough ceiling height to be able hang a small speaker box? Maybe mounted high on walls?

I think going LR down and C up could be a bit wacky...

Yea, flush mounted is going to be best. This is an old 1950s house that is only 950sqft. Family fits a sectional and thats it. Im going to so a screen that drops infront of the big picture frame window and an ultra short throw projector i think.

I think L+R low and Center High might be weird as well.

EDIT: I should mention that I am only dealing with 9ft ceilings with an attic space above. So I should have a pretty easy time doing an install but getting something that sounds decent is another challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom