• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I see that the signature is valid and the file signatures match. So that seems all legit.
Yes, and if I were gaming this, that would be a key thing to get right. But easy to do.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, and if I were gaming this, that would be a key thing to get right. But easy to do.
Easy with the files maybe but no one has demonstrated so with the signature.
If is doable we should know how for future ABXs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe..., it seems like faking the SHA1 hash would take about 10 days with average hardware. It would be much easier to just EQ the output so that the differences are easier to hear. But it seems to use the correct ASIO driver, so it appears as if the sound goes into the DAC without modification.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just checked it here:

(you just paste the whole text)

sig.PNG

KSTR

Major Contributor
It is always possible to stage a Foobar ABX test. In this case, all you need is a spectrum analyzer with peak hold running (like REW or similar, or a hardware device), attached to the soundcard output and watch for the difference at the very top end. That of course means you already know what the differences are.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Maybe..., it seems like faking the SHA1 hash would take about 10 days with average hardware. It would be much easier to just EQ the output so that the differences are easier to hear.
If EQ the file it would be evident in Deltawave.If done through foobar it would show in the ABX log.
What other way,I was thinking about also and could not find one.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
If it is being suggested that the whole thing has been faked:
- then let's just move on, it is all lies!
- Or, we don't like the results, so we use some excuse to accuse him?
I like to believe ir is not fake. Or we are all wasting our time here.
ABX signature verification tool returns it as valid.
If foul play is in order it must be external,like @KSTR showed for example.

But the very ABX is as valid as it gets as it seems,we like or not that's the only fact we have.

KSTR

Major Contributor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my take... the results violate the local rumored belief system.
Sure they do. And if we had 10 other people who would pull this off and can prove it, it would make the believability of the claim much better.

It can just be that he can just do this. Good for him! Still, it only proves that he can, not that people in general can.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure they do. And if we had 10 other people who would pull this off and can prove it, it would make the believability of the claim much better.

It can just be that he can just do this. Good for him! Still, it only proves that he can, not that people in general can.
This is my take too.
The results are not fake, and are valid for this individual.
For it to be acceptable as fact, we need more subjects.
But I don't buy the ultrasonics being the culprit here, at least not directly.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor

We should then change that to "most people" or "people under 30 yo" or something to be correct.
And we wouldn't be even then,the problem with valid audio tests has always been that they are all over the place and time,you have to really search to come up with valid ones,if you're lucky.
For example there are valid tests about all shorts of stuff right here in ASR.
When they seem odd is usually the end of the thread,no one cares about it.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
We would also need for the original participant to replicate the results at least two more times. While unlikely that there was guessing involved, unless I am not understanding the testing protocol, we can't rule that out with just one example.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We should then change that to "most people" or "people under 30 yo" or something to be correct.
So far, the only correct conclusion is: "he can".
And we wouldn't be even then,the problem with valid audio tests has always been that they are all over the place and time,you have to really search to come up with valid ones,if you're lucky.
For example there are valid tests about all shorts of stuff right here in ASR.
When they seem odd is usually the end of the thread,no one cares about it.
Yeah, that always seems odd to me. That should be the start, not the end ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
We would also need for the original participant to replicate the results at least two more times. While unlikely that there was guessing involved, unless I am not understanding the testing protocol, we can't rule that out with just one example.
The ABX test presented has 20 trials (18 out of 20 successful).More than sufficient,it's usually 16 trials for a confident result.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Still, it only proves that he can, not that people in general can.
It doesn't even prove that. I'm absolutely NOT claiming it's faked, but it trivially CAN be, so in and of itself it's not proof.

Yes, I read a lot of Randi's writings about investigations of paranormal claims. :D

oleg87

Are we still talking about this?
Has a single person here actually repeated GoldenSound’s test methodology and found a discernable difference in “stage” or “macrodynamics” or “pace” or whatever other subjectivist garbage is attributed to dacs?

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are we still talking about this?
Has a single person here actually repeated GoldenSound’s test methodology and found a discernable difference in “stage” or “macrodynamics” or “pace” or whatever other subjectivist garbage is attributed to dacs?
I would almost be ashamed to call myself a objectivist now... I won't join your team

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom