• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Glitchy Schitt

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It obviously isn't good but at -90dB how audible ?
Keith.

JoeWhip

This is a great sounding DAC. I have heard it numerous times in two different systems. Knock it all you want. I love it.

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't this glitch energy seen in the datasheet of the AD5791BRUZ chip but I think I remember Schiit talking about their glitch reduction output circuitry?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am not 'knocking'the dac as such, I am surprised a product was released measuring as it does, I just wonder whether that glitchis audible .
Many listeners appear to enjoy poor measuring components,
Keith

JoeWhip

Perhaps, or perhaps it was one bad piece of equipment or maybe the poster at CE has an agenda. Who knows.? I am sure Mike Moffat will address it at CA.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

What was the Schitt DAC Amir's son had for a couple of days? It didn't sound right so Amir measured it and, if memory serves, found unacceptable jitter levels? That's probably enough to move Schitt products out of my personal consideration set. And yes, I understand that I may miss some good products doing that, but there are plenty of others to choose from, so I'll never feel the loss. I do appreciate, however, the spontaneous and often inadvertent humor generated by the name. The use of the phrase "Schitt house sound" in one of the posts over on CA made me giggle. I can always use a giggle.

Tim

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
That's probably enough to move Schitt products out of my personal consideration set.
Keep in mind they are aimed at audiophiles. Beside the usual recipe of bling looks, price, weight, etc, it most certainly doesn't hurt for a component that is suppose to pass the signal transparently, to instead possess a "sound". SFX boxes are an audiophiles delight, perhaps this is yet another one.

cheers,

AJ

hvbias

I compared samples 1 and 2 that mani put up (glitch and de-glitched using Peter's filter) using foo_abx and I was not able to pass an ABX test using Stax headphones. Yet people in the thread said they were hearing differences with their Macbook speakers.

File 3 and 4 were his own DAC without and with glitch filter respectively, which theoretically shouldn't have made any difference since his DAC doesn't glitch. But people reported differences on those files as well.

Side note, I didn't see a member introduction forum. I'm yet another old WBF member (haven't logged in there in a few years), nice to see a forum of this nature.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi HV, wasn't the glitch 90dB down, Iwouldnt hve thought it audible, Mani has 'golden' ears perhaps .
Keith

hvbias

Thanks Amir, I will write up something a bit later.

Hi HV, wasn't the glitch 90dB down, Iwouldnt hve thought it audible, Mani has 'golden' ears perhaps .
Keith

I thought it was below -90 dB. I thought I heard a minor difference when I wasn't listening blind, but still that difference was extremely small and not backed up by the blind test. If you have the fortitude to go through the rest of the thread after the samples were uploaded there wasn't a single person that said they couldn't hear a difference.

I am a bit (pun intended) of a multibit fan, if I ever had the multi Gungnir or Yggydrasil to hear for myself and liked what I heard the "glitching" wouldn't matter to me :D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

hvbias

Schitt by name shit by nature,what do you make of these measurements.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ed-amplifier-measurements#6HYAjoy8GJiWdlm3.97

Keith

Keith do you have measurements for the Cessaro speakers you sell? I am pretty sure they would measure absolutely dreadfully.

At nearly every audio show I've attended they are among the bottom quarter of speakers I have heard and scream horn coloration. Measurement wise one of the explanations must be in the large number high order modulation distortions and the prolonged decay (ringing) of upper mid/treble in CSD plots.

Just saying this since these shit measurements would probably make no difference once connected to a speaker and placed in a listening room. The speaker measurements would be obvious to anyone. Before I sound like one of the fanatic Schiit owners from CA, I have never owned any of their products. I have met and spoke to Jason at Schiit and like that they are selling stuff that doesn't cost the equivalent of a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Top Bottom