• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Glitchy Schitt

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Cessaro horns aren't too bad, in many way they sound similar to the Grimm LS1 speakers we sell which are amongst the finest 'measuring' you can purchase, they use TAD drivers and I believe the implementation is pretty soun.
Re the Schitt it just strikes me as poor design as did there glitch problem ,whether it is audible or not.
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
whether it is audible or not.
The amp in question certainly has the potential to be audible, vs say a Bruno design, but that would depend on a lot of factors, like the music playing and speakers it's attached to.
I wonder how it would handle some stuff like off the Interstellar soundtrack, with it's near continuous VLF "rumble" throughout, minutes long?
Of course, isn't an amp possessing a "sound" extremely desirable to audiophiles?

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find it difficult to know what is extremely desirable to audiophiles, and even more difficult to understand why.

Tim

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Schitt by name shit by nature,what do you make of these measurements.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ed-amplifier-measurements#6HYAjoy8GJiWdlm3.97
Fascinating stuff. I fully understand the appeal of off-loading the bias control/protection functions to software, with all the clever nonlinear stuff it could do, but I can't quite work out what this implementation is doing that results in it going into protection mode if a continuous tone is playing and why that could ever be considered acceptable. For a start, such a system would preclude the amplifier from any use other than 'domestic audio' which seems like a peculiar limitation to place on it. Woe betide anyone who wants to set up their reel-to-reel with test tones or whatever.

Is it that they are just using a low powered microcontroller and 'sparsely' sampling the amplifier output (they mention "30 times a second")? Statistically it will work OK with most 'music' signals, giving an output that averages to zero. However, it will run into trouble with a fixed tone, with regular aliasing possibly resulting in a non-zero DC indication - which their algorithm interprets as "runaway bias".

If that is the case, the solution would be to sample the amplifier output at much higher sample rates (e.g. 192 kHz) and perform full-blooded DSP on it. But isn't a hybrid DSP/analogue amplifier a bit 'ugly', anyway? Such a beast seems a bit silly when put next to a fully Class D amplifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom