• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Glass Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a unused small room and I tried setting up a system there. Its 3 meters x 5 meters and carpeted. Speakers are 2 meters apart and 0.5 meters away from the side walls. Both sides have window panes that is around 2 meters in length and only one side (left) has curtains. I can see the first reflection point from the glass plane. What I found is that stereo imaging is pulled to the right to where the bare glass is exposed. Could that glass plane be the cause of the imaging being shifted to the right? I want to turn this room into another room for my third system but I do not want to treat the room with absorbers and diffusers. Can that bare glass be the cause of the shift in center image? Can I balance it up with another set of curtains?

P.S : when I move my head 0.5 meters forward until I cant see the first refection point, center imaging becomes pinpoint perfect and the speakers totally disappear.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it could - doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Test for curtains using towels or similar.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I have a unused small room and I tried setting up a system there. Its 3 meters x 5 meters and carpeted. Speakers are 2 meters apart and 0.5 meters away from the side walls. Both sides have window panes that is around 2 meters in length and only one side (left) has curtains. I can see the first reflection point from the glass plane. What I found is that stereo imaging is pulled to the right to where the bare glass is exposed. Could that glass plane be the cause of the imaging being shifted to the right? I want to turn this room into another room for my third system but I do not want to treat the room with absorbers and diffusers. Can that bare glass be the cause of the shift in center image? Can I balance it up with another set of curtains?

P.S : when I move my head 0.5 meters forward until I cant see the first refection point, center imaging becomes pinpoint perfect and the speakers totally disappear.
The evil power of the worm is a myth.

Peter Gabriel in the Big Room to his studios, like the glass. As many studio.

Measures Measures and Measures

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Windows off to one side are a disaster in my experience for any form of imaging and particularly early reflections causing gross mid level differences enough to make you seriously think you have faulty speakers.

Curtains help a little but don't solve the problem. Once you brain compensates for the imbalance, all is well.

Katji

Major Contributor
If I didn't have curtains I'd need sunglasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom