• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

getting quality audio from Playstation 5

Pancreas

The problem is the PS5 only transfers sound via HDMI which is surround. This is ok if your computer monitor has built-in speakers, problem is most built-in speakers suck.

If your computer monitor has a headphone input, and your speakers are connected to the PC with an audio interface, you then can either

- Connect from your monitor headphone input to audio interface with a 3.5mm to 2 TRS cable. You should get PS5 sound through your speakers, since they are connected to the audio interface. You would need 4 TRS ouput in your interface. The problem here is the sound will be downgraded and you would need to have the PC on, unless you have audio interface with its own power supply.

- You could also connect from monitor headphone input to the computer line in jack with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (if your interface only has 2 TRS outputs), since the audio interface is connected to the PC, you will get PS5 sound through speakers, but same issue, sound will be downgraded.

The best option probably is to get an audio extractor with optical and an audio interface with optical.

You connect the PS5 HDMI to audio extractor, then audio extractor to monitor HDMI.

Then, connect the audio extractor to the audio interface with optical cable. This will allow you to get 5.1 surround sound.

Another option that I don't know if it could work

instead of connecting your PS5 HDMI to monitor HDMI, you could connect PS5 HDMI to PC HDMI, then PC to monitor with a display port or HDMI. This may also allow you to get 5.1 surround as the connection is HDMI, but the computer will always need to be on, it will basically act as an extractor, and since the computer is connected to audio interface, you'll get sound through speakers.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
For surround, an extractor is the way to go for signal fidelity.
For stereo, you can also plug a USB DAC into the PS5, as long as it supports UAC1.
Stuff like the JDS Atom DAC+ and SMSL PO100 AK will work.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

For surround, an extractor is the way to go for signal fidelity.
For stereo, you can also plug a USB DAC into the PS5, as long as it supports UAC1.

those USB DAC are mostly for headphones aka for people without a computer monitor with built-in speakers/headphone in

I have my Genelec speakers (XLR input only) connected to my audio interface. I can get stereo simply connecting from my monitor headphone input to the computer line in.

Audio interface is connected to PC with USB.

I mean don't get me wrong is sounds good, but is not their best.

I'd need to get an HDMI 2.1 audio extractor with optical, then buy a new audio interface that also has optical, that's the only way to get surround.

staticV3

Master Contributor
those USB DAC are mostly for headphones aka for people without a computer monitor with built-in speakers/headphone in
They're simple stereo DACs. You can use them for headphones, IEMs, 2.0 speakers, or 2.1 speakers. The DAC doesn't care. It'll work equally fine for all of them.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

They're simple stereo DACs. You can use them for headphones, IEMs, 2.0 speakers, or 2.1 speakers. The DAC doesn't care. It'll work equally fine for all of them.

Isnt surround a gimmick tho lol to get actual surround you need to have several speaker positioned in a room and a wooder

If all you have is 2 speakees or soundbar how cab you truly get surround?

Is just an emulation but isn’t surround an effect that gives the experience of sound coming from different directions but this cant be done with just a sounbar or multiple speakers

Top Bottom