• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will this setup work?

dscharalampidis

I bought a pair of iLoud Micro monitors a few years ago, and I liked them so much that last year, I bought another pair and a cheap but relatively good subwoofer for my needs ESI aktiv 10s. That's now a 4.1-channel powered speaker system connected directly to my sound card.

I have a multi-monitor setup for my computer, and I use one of the monitors (the 32-inch one) for watching movies and playing games on my PlayStation.
The PS5 is connected via HDMI 2.0 to the monitor. Additionally, the monitor has a 3.5 jack for audio output, which I feed back to the sound card's line-in port, and using software loopback, I can play stereo audio from the PlayStation. It's not an ideal solution, but it works.

I am seeking a budget upgrade to a 7.1 system to play PS5 with multi-channel audio. So here's my solution:
The additional speakers will be iLoud MTM. Three of them, as front LR, and center. The existing iLoud Micro will be rear and surround LR.

I will use this audio extractor to separate the audio from the video signal.

Swissonic HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor​

Finally, this USB audio interface will do the rest.

Behringer UMC1820​

The PS5 will be connected to the Swissonic via HDMI, and the optical output from the Swissonic will become input for Behringer's ADAT input. All speakers will be connected to it's line outputs.

So, the big question will this work?

Initially, I was looking for an AV processor/preamp since that seems to be the all-in-one device I need, but they are ridiculously expensive. There are some cheap AV receivers, but I don't need amplification since all my speakers are powered. On top of that, even the cheapest AV receivers will be more expensive than the proposed setup above.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I see you aren't even getting 4.1....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. Why do you think that?

I am getting 4.1 from the computer. The PS5 is, of course, stereo, which I upmix to 4.1.
You don't mention the specific connections/gear to enable that, but possible and I should have mentioned that just needed more detail perhaps....

OP
D

dscharalampidis

Excuse me for the oversight.

The connections are as follows:
2 x iLoud Micro Monitors (4 speakers)
These speaker pairs have a "master" speaker which has the inputs, and a stupid cable that connects from the "master" speaker to the "slave."
I connect these to the sound card's front and rear LR channels using TRS 1/8".

1 x ESI aktiv 10s
I use a TRS 1/8" to two TRS 1/4" splitter cable to separate the center and subwoofer channels from the sound card and send it to the subwoofer.

I will not elaborate on the software part since I am using Linux, and I don't believe it matters anyway.
My sound card is an onboard 7.1 card with 4x 1/8" connectors.
I have configured my system so that when the source is 5.1, it will down-mix the center to the front LR, and when the source is stereo, it will up-mix the rear LR.
The LFE is configured to handle all frequencies below 100Hz.

For the PS5, HDMI goes to the monitor, and the monitor's 1.8" audio output goes to the soundcard's line-in.

Top Bottom