• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a concern but the only things I have actually had problems with with fuel age are garden tools, both my strimmer and long reach hedge cutter.
Electricity coste me £0.14 per kWh so 6kWh in 3 hours from a standard wll outlet costs less than £1 if it is cloudy and free on sunny days from my solar cells.
A lot of plug in hybrids are heavy SUVs and the are pretty pathetically inefficient.

Edit:
I will probably only put half a tankful in next time to be safe. It only takes 40L anyway but does about 500 miles on that.
I suppose you also could add some gas treatment to extend the "shelf life" of a tank of gas. It was my understanding however such automobiles took that into effect and would burn a little fuel periodically even if unnecessary to prevent just such problems.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
would burn a little fuel periodically even if unnecessary to prevent just such problems.
Mine definitely runs the engine from time to time if I have not gone far enough to deplete the battery for a while.
Even once the extra capacity of the battery is used, presumably because it is very low drag and relatively low weight on normal roads I get very good fuel consumption as a regular hybrid. It is nothing super special on motorways because at steady speed the regeneration system has nothing to work with but it is still pretty good.
Overall, at the moment, IMO a plug in hybrid is a better choice than either electric or IC engine.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Crumpet:

images7.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Wall warts (for things like 50W+), I hate them. Just leave a power brick if you can't muster an internal design. Should be banned internationally.

Any amps with headphone-out that's in spitting distance of a knob (Schiit lower tier amps suffer this issue supremely) . Just take the L and don't make us live with this on desktop destined amps.

If your DAC uses off-the-shelf chips with filter selection, let us choose which.

Car doors are stupid, we need more suicide doors like Rolls Royce, or just let them open up vertically.

iPhones recent OS's don't allow you to turn off radio's from the control panel (instead you have to go into settings). Burn in a ditch along with all other UI and UX designers that don't make things like this optional.

Doormen who wear gloves. Looks too old fashioned, and has some heavily classist vibes I can't shake,. Get rid of doormen in totality, it's 2021, not some castle where royalty reside. Let them do something more useful.

Mercedes S Class 2021 design. Fire the designer. What are those headlights? Also car companies in general, get some screens in your cars that doesn't make it seem like you're reusing crap you bought 15 years ago and will make use of for as long as it takes to get rid of it. Look at this disgusting dash on a 2021 GLA 600 Maybach Edition (don't you dare look at the price): WTF is this dash, and why is the inches-fat bezels display look like someone trying to shoehorn a skateboard behind the ventilation behind it... It doesn't even fit the section either, overlaps with the top portion of the windscreen area..

Also that UI aesthetic looks ugly to boot. ALSO your actual vents suck balls, use the older circular ones, these look cheap.

txeRBSj.jpg

Consumer and professional cameras (even ones well over $5,000) don't provide external storage mounting. Why... Stop this memory card shilling already.

Game console controllers need to make an easily swappable joystick design. The choice of these Alps is idiotic and can't be repaired by many people.

Some streaming video providers need to be crucified for not offering keyboard scrubbing controls or video quality controls.

iTunes being required to load music to iOS devices. How hasn't someone suffered loss of life due to whoever keeps this paradigm going?

Audio devices with piss poor thermal management considerations. (Active speakers who's metal backs would burn if you dared touch them, even at idle, not playing anything).

The entire internet these days (web pages themselves). Stuttering mess, along with browsers themselves. Dare fire up Facebook on Chrome? Your $5,000 desktop sounds like it's going to get back at you for trying. I could go on with specifics from ads that function like little mini-apps in terms of webpage load, to godforsaken auto-play videos that no one can keep down no matter how much "Do Not Play" settings or add-ons you try to battle them with. To reader view not working on some websites properly. To sites that don't offer a "Night Mode" or darker-theme (We need this, real talk).

Analogue pots, burn them all, all the ones I've used eventually turn scratchy. R2R or digital please.

Books. Anything with more than a hundred pages that can be held up with one hand, forget it, not comfortable. Either my hand is in an uncomfortable position, or some other part of my entire body is. E-Ink displays have delivered. Digitize, and lets move on already. We could also use less trees being chopped.

Studio lights in residential apartments. You guys are morons for putting it (arguable), but primarily the consumers, morons for buying places with this.

New icons for OS's or Apps. You're failing more than succeeding. Stop with this corporatized metro, postmodern minimalist, flat ass bullshit.

New cars and their grills. Looks like plastic, and some have grills with a solid wall right behind them. About as fake and stupid as the next thing.

Fake exhausts on cars. Even hypercars are joining in on this plague. Goodness what garbage and insult that consumers gladly take.

Alcohol adverts.. bad in general, but I don't understand why they're still legal. Makes no sense if we're going to ban cigs, but not alcohol.

App updates with no changelogs. Worst offenders seem to be the biggest companies. This needs to be made illegal, right now.

Devices like phones, with any OS on them, yet don't provide a means of choosing charging speed. No I don't want your fast charging that heats and destroys my battery within 6 months.

VPN's generally speaking. Can't vet any of their backend stuff.

Windows 10 (in multiple ways). Current software that no matter what (even on Enterprise editions) you cannot disable Windows Defender literally no matter what you do (unless it detects you have vendor approved anti-virus software, then supposedly it turns off). Also your updates are idiotic, idiotic naming schemes, and idiotic "Rings" and "Channels". Bro, just keep it simple, beta-version, and live version. Stop with this Fast Track and other nonsense.

Nvidia, cancer company that limits performance on their cards for artificial segmentation, though they're probably not the first. Also start getting Linux friendlier already goodness sake.

Nvidia's GeForce Experience software gatekeeping most of the features. Also, stop providing telemtry with all your drivers. I'm tired of having to chop it out of the package.

LG ovens. Nice metal knobs for 50 damn dollars. One problem. What level of pieces of shit are you to provide an actually pretty much all-metal knob, but then put a thin plastic interface that wears away and has the knob give way to wobble and failure... (look at the second picture). Btw, the interface plastic meets with a metal shaft on the oven. If this isn't a case for planned obsolescence then it's total evidence of retardation of which not even a company of this caliber can avoid. (seems lots of damn companies, the higher they are on the totem pole, the stupider designs they have).

Every godforsaken toaster in the last half decade. What the hell are all you manufacturers even doing anymore? You morons.. take notes.

AMD CPU's with pin contacts protruding from the back. Bend one of those a little too much? RIP. I usually don't endorse Intel, but please take a note from their page.

DACs without a quick Mono setting.

American windows (NYC especially). This standard is so disgusting, I don't know what I wouldn't do to get a chance to be in the room alone with whoever came up with this garbage and whoever approved of it. These are one of those things that need to be banned. If anyone has information about the types of windows in the last century, I'd love to read it. I went to Europe and couldn't believe how us here in New York live comparatively like cavemen. There's also the issue with some windows that are at the fire-escape. I've seen people with jailbar like security bars on that window. If they need to get away from a fire, they're 100% screwed. At least this one is on the inside..

LG Microwaves, the lowest fan setting outputs so much noise, it seems like it was made for a particular type of sadist. At the highest setting, you'll get complaints from neighbors accusing you of running a crypto mining operation in your house with the amount of fan noise you're producing.

Youtube in general, but more specifically. Let me choose the damn framerate I want without resorting to abandonware browser add-ons.

Apple Airpods Pro. Why does this update literally on it's own, without you knowing how, when, why, and for what? Also, volume control on the damn earphone in the next iteration, or please die.

Need a phone number from one of the major carriers to get a new email address from any major company (required for registration on many sites now).

Tim Burners Lee accepting DRM within the HTML spec. Wtf dude?

JRiver, we need quick balance, tone, and mono/stereo swap controls. (also add Opus support formally, not simply just playback).

Sharkbite fittings leaking garbage, and faucet tubing that leaves black specs of dust in my water from the tap. Needs to be litigated out of history...

Round IEM tips. You would have thought by now since Apple did it, others would have grown a brainstem to realize our ears are perhaps a bit ovular? Not even Apple could snap the industry out of this psychosis. Get rid of round IEM stems and tips.

Earpads on headphones, cost too much, and many deteriorate too quick. Also, make them magnatic for quick swapping, I don't want to fear I am breaking the housing trying to remove some of them, or get a heatgun to unglue others. Goodness..

Power amps, not really a design complaint, but I'm just wondering, are you done getting bodied by Benchmark ABH2 for the past half decade yet? Also, get better thermal design, and not fake fins as seen on some.

All companies aside from Apple. Your connectors for cables suck balls, always either too loose, or too tight. Please stop being cheapo's and invest in better tolerances, it's not that difficult.

Alcantara in car interiors (or simply microfiber cloth upholstery). Another case of consumer driven lunacy. Who's trying to clean Alcantara, absolutely gross and gg when it gets stained and dirty.

Metal IEMs, or metal portable headphones (Airpods Max). Go outside in the cold, and come back in your warm home. Enjoy internal condensation. Complete stupidity even Apple couldn't realize.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Tks

Major Contributor
The EPYC and Threadripper CPUs have LGA sockets. I suspect whatever replaces AM4 will be LGA based too.

Sure as shit hope so. Also, what's up with roadmaps for the past few recent years? Everyone seems to think they're a joke, and are treated as such accordingly.

At least back then we had them, now? Where's Intel's or AMD's or Nvidia's roadmap? Bah, who am I kidding? Even if they gave it, none of them are capable of holding to it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is for venting on bad product design, especially when this replaces something perfectly good. My credit card prompted me to start this so lets start there:

Why in the world are credit cards going from cards with nice large raised numbers to designs with a blank front side and small print on the back. And in my case not just small print but print with almost no contrast - light grey against slightly darker grey. I honestly cannot read these.
I believe I have the same card and usually I don't even try to use it unless it's touchless pay. I agree-stupid design that looks great but is unusuable.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know my Driver's License number - had to use it all the time while in college in the 70's for some reason.

At some point they added a "dash zero" to the end of it.

Have my cell phone number taped to the back of the phone, it's, uh, I don't know. Had it for 14 months now.
I also memorized my DL # but can't remember why or if it was an accident. Like you though I have a zero but mine is at the beginning-it's because I had have a new card issued once. At least that's what they told me.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I also memorized my DL # but can't remember why or if it was an accident. Like you though I have a zero but mine is at the beginning-it's because I had have a new card issued once.

Maybe because I had a Texas license for a few years before returning and getting the same basic number.

Nope. See last paragraph:

"Florida Driver's License Format

A Florida driver's license number always has 13 digits: one letter followed by 12 numbers. The number is split into five fields, i.e., xxxx – xxx – xx – xxx – x.

The first field is the Soundex code (a letter and three numbers) for the driver's last name. This roughly describes how a given word sounds, with the first letter being the first letter in the name and the remaining numbers (from 1 to 6) indicating different categories of sounds created by consonants following the first letter.

The second field is a numerical code based on your first name and middle initial, and the third field is your birth year. The fourth field is a numerical code based on your sex (male or female), birth month and birth day.

If you have a Florida driver's license number ending in 1, you have a pretty rare driver's license. In the unusual circumstance that the calculation for two people results in exactly the same license number, the number in the fifth field is used to tell them apart. The first person to apply gets 0, the second gets 1, etc."

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe because I had a Texas license for a few years before returning and getting the same basic number.

Nope. See last paragraph:

"Florida Driver's License Format

A Florida driver's license number always has 13 digits: one letter followed by 12 numbers. The number is split into five fields, i.e., xxxx – xxx – xx – xxx – x.

The first field is the Soundex code (a letter and three numbers) for the driver's last name. This roughly describes how a given word sounds, with the first letter being the first letter in the name and the remaining numbers (from 1 to 6) indicating different categories of sounds created by consonants following the first letter.

The second field is a numerical code based on your first name and middle initial, and the third field is your birth year. The fourth field is a numerical code based on your sex (male or female), birth month and birth day.

If you have a Florida driver's license number ending in 1, you have a pretty rare driver's license. In the unusual circumstance that the calculation for two people results in exactly the same license number, the number in the fifth field is used to tell them apart. The first person to apply gets 0, the second gets 1, etc."
Wow- thought DL numbers were randomly generated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow- thought DL numbers were randomly generated.

I'm just for the final number field, which my original Florida License didn't have, and must have been quietly added at some point in the past.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much every mayonnaise container besides Kewpie's: The bottle is made of a thin and pliable material which keeps out oxygen and allows maximum mayonnaise extraction.
img_03.png

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Sennheiser RS185s begin beeping incessantly during their final hour of battery life, effectively rendering said hour utterly useless.

If you are attempting to prevent overdischarge, then simply power the headphones off when that voltage threshold has been reached. Do not torture me for an hour, inviting me to throw them out the nearest window. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much every mayonnaise container besides Kewpie's: The bottle is made of a thin and pliable material which keeps out oxygen and allows maximum mayonnaise extraction.
img_03.png
I don't know. Just doesn't seem right not to be scraping the bottom of a poorly shaped glass jar with a butter knife to extract the very last mayo without getting it all over the handle and your hands.

Top Bottom