• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The first field is the Soundex code (a letter and three numbers) for the driver's last name. This roughly describes how a given word sounds, with the first letter being the first letter in the name and the remaining numbers (from 1 to 6) indicating different categories of sounds created by consonants following the first letter.

Why have a Soundex code when a larger variety of such could be encoded by just having the next 3 consonant letters. It isn't because they want a numbers only code since the first one is a letter.

I guess the reverse is the What3words geo location app. The entire earth's surface has been divided into 10x10 ft squares (3x3 meters), and any of those positions can be determined with only 3 simple words. I had hoped it would become very popular. Once you have it on your phone it can be very handy for finding someone with relatively good precision.

https://what3words.com/clip.apples.leap

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Car doors are stupid, we need more suicide doors like Rolls Royce, or just let them open up vertically.

Doormen who wear gloves. Looks too old fashioned, and has some heavily classist vibes I can't shake,. Get rid of doormen in totality, it's 2021, not some castle where royalty reside. Let them do something more useful.

Have to take issue with two of your complaints.

If you've gotten to use suicide doors they loose their appeal quickly. Unless you have a door man with gloves to open and close your door they actually are quite the ergonomic nightmare vs the normal way doors are done. So if you want suicide doors you need gloved doormen. If you don't want gloved doormen, then you don't want suicide doors.

I think we should have no suicide hoods on automobiles.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New cars and their grills. Looks like plastic,

Mine is plastic.

What should it look like?

---

The house next door has been for sale for a long time, it may be mired in legal stuff, foreclosure, etc.

I came home from the tooth fairy and saw a black Audi and two older "black" (never seen a black person, nor a white one) men standing in front.

Parked in my garage and went over to talk..

Gave walk around and peek in the windows, since they'd indicated reluctance to do so on their own.

"Is it always this quiet around here?"

"Sometimes a car drives by"

Their names are Ronald and Gerald, brothers. Ronald is the potential buyer. Retired from being Infantry and MP.

I'm useless at remembering names (they're so arbitrary), so by the end of the walk and talk I'd forgotten.

"Oh! They're easy to remember! Just think Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford", Gerald said.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is plastic.

What should it look like?

---

The house next door has been for sale for a long time, it may be mired in legal stuff, foreclosure, etc.

I came home from the tooth fairy and saw a black Audi and two older "black" (never seen a black person, nor a white one) men standing in front.

Parked in my garage and went over to talk..

Gave walk around and peek in the windows, since they'd indicated reluctance to do so on their own.

"Is it always this quiet around here?"

"Sometimes a car drives by"

Their names are Ronald and Gerald, brothers. Ronald is the potential buyer. Retired from being Infantry and MP.

I'm useless at remembering names (they're so arbitrary), so by the end of the walk and talk I'd forgotten.

"Oh! They're easy to remember! Just think Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford", Gerald said.
Sounds like they are on to you Ray. Probable CIA ops. Grab the bug out bag, and scoot out of there in the Toyota.

hex168

Icons. All icons. What is the point of clicking on a picture of a printer when it could be a button saying "Print?"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Icons. All icons. What is the point of clicking on a picture of a printer when it could be a button saying "Print?"
I agree with you in spirit -- but, truth be told, there are some folks on earth for whom the glyphs "PRINT" are as foreign and abstruse as, say,
書き表す
or

(PS the above were just quick 'n' dirty googles -- I apologize for any severe "off target effects" of the non-latin transcriptions above!)
EDIT: For the record, I don't mind arcane icons as long as I can hover over 'em and get a little pop up that tells me what they do! :)

hex168

I agree with you in spirit -- but, truth be told, there are some folks on earth for whom the glyphs "PRINT" are as foreign and abstruse as, say,
書き表す
or

(PS the above were just quick 'n' dirty googles -- I apologize for any severe "off target effects" of the non-latin transcriptions above!)
EDIT: For the record, I don't mind arcane icons as long as I can hover over 'em and get a little pop up that tells me what they do!:)
True, but that is what multiple language versions are for! Although, I have to admit that when a friend who is also a skilled artist was designing a budgeting system, he used an icon for the salary module that I got a kick out of. He drew a picture of a stalk of celery.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
True, but that is what multiple language versions are for! Although, I have to admit that when a friend who is also a skilled artist was designing a budgeting system, he used an icon for the salary module that I got a kick out of. He drew a picture of a stalk of celery.
oooh, I get it! :)

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Consumer and professional cameras (even ones well over $5,000) don't provide external storage mounting. Why... Stop this memory card shilling already.
My URSA and BMPCC4K do. ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
smaller bear than a Mitchell

Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Chrome's PDF viewer doesn't zoom to the center of the page. It always zooms to the left side, as if anybody would actually want that to happen. :rolleyes:
1615148239869.png

For comparison, Safari's much more sensible viewer.

1615148453779.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Chrome's PDF viewer doesn't zoom to the center of the page. It always zooms to the left side, as if anybody would actually want that to happen. :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------------------------
For comparison, Safari's much more sensible viewer.
Ideally, it should zoom exactly where I click.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, the PDF reader on Chrome will do a little bit better if one closes that thumbnail cr@p on the left (just need to click on the three horizontal lines above it).
That said, I was oh-so-thrilled when "they" added that ribbon on the top that one cannot close/get rid of. In the previous morph of the PDF reader, it would appear if (and only if) one stuck the pointer up that-a-way, and then discreetly fade away when not needed. Someone apparently decided that was too useful, so now it's there whether one wants it or not, just wasting space.

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for lettin' me vent.

1615157129934.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back to software program icons. The save icon and the concept of "saving" as an action a user has to take at all. The concept is as outdated as the icon that represents it. (hint, it used to be called a "floppy disk" and you used to have to insert it into a disk drive by hand before saving) What year are we in now? Google Docs showed us the way to continuously saving our work as we type. We should never be in a position as random users where we lose our work because we "forgot to save" for any reason. I still have friends and family who break down into tears because their computer crashed and they lost their work.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dashboards on those beautiful Italian cars... many stick the gauges off in the middle of the dash or do not properly emphasize the tach.

Weeb Labs

If you are at all curious as to why I am reviving this thread, it is because I need to complain about something and shouting into the void is cathartic.

Can you conceive of any practical scenario in which anybody would want their AVR to pass a full range signal (including LFE content) to the FLR channels in the presence of two 1.1KW subwoofers? Well, Audyssey XT32 apparently thinks that's a superlative idea and it will consistently produce that configuration, immediately upon measuring both of those subwoofers more than ten times.

What farcically abysmal code. The worst part is that you will never think to check the setting until your midbass driver repeatedly slams into its grille during A Quiet Place: Part II.

Last edited:
Top Bottom