• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec The Ones woofer creases/tearing mystery solved

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I just wish they were smooth and shiny like this lol
28617192_10155906763163673_1994037385107608154_o.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
in exaggerated terms: you can't demand a pretty girl to not poop right?:cool:
But coming back to the loudspeakers to demand it has an optimised reflex port to reduce port noises. :D

OP
S

Scoox

well if it completely tears off in say, 10 years and came up with some replacements which is improved I will actually be happy, as Genelec type company tend to do free service to refurb old speakers out of warranty with that sort of problem, so I will get a free upgrade;)
Free extended warranty right there. But if it really is a problem I assume it will evolve very gradually, inconspicuously altering the quality of your mixes (if you use them for mixing), only to be noticed once it's very bad. That doesn't worry me though because there are plenty of professionals using these monitors and someone would be bound to notice, way before I do. Nonetheless when mine arrive I will take some measurements and record the test conditions so I can repeat the test a year later, to see if anything has changed.

If anything goes sideways I imagine there would be some high frequency artefacts as opposing sides of the creases rub against each other (if that ever even happens). Luckily this kind thing is extremely easy to detect by ear simply by playing a slow-rising sine sweep, because any high frequency noises stand out like sore thumb.

thulle

Wait, is this whole discussion about some assumed acoustic issue with wrinkly surround? Isn't the purifi woofers proof enough that it's not necessarily so?

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The irony of another user confused about what visual thing were talking about. I just can't anymore lol.

Kinda reminds me of some cartoon I saw recently, old guy sitting on his computer says to his wife -

"Look honey I was on the internet and found that thing all scientists and engineers missed".

So I guess if you get blocked from a thread here, you can just make a new thread about the same thing?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I saw this initially I thought they were wrinkles... Now they look more like cracks. I'm glad Genelec has a 5 year warranty but I'm curious if that ever has to be used on these in 12 years. My 8260 monitors that I bought used are 12 years old and have no issues. I'm curious if these will last as long since a crack seems like it would be a stress point where a wrinkle would still have similar thickness and strength as the surrounding area. Maybe the crackly looking area doesn't flex though... I'd be curious to see a macro shot while someone pushes the driver forward to see if the cracks open up or are completely rigid and don't flex.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When I saw this initially I thought they were wrinkles... Now they look more like cracks. I'm glad Genelec has a 5 year warranty but I'm curious if that ever has to be used on these in 12 years. My 8260 monitors that I bought used are 12 years old and have no issues. I'm curious if these will last as long since a crack seems like it would be a stress point where a wrinkle would still have similar thickness and strength as the surrounding area. Maybe the crackly looking area doesn't flex though... I'd be curious to see a macro shot while someone pushes the driver forward to see if the cracks open up or are completely rigid and don't flex.
It scares me too
If it wasn't for this "problem" they would have been perfect

YSC

Major Contributor
Still look like wrinkles to me, as long as it’s normal and nobody reports distorted speaker found open up and that thing breaks I won’t care about that.

Or I have a pair of 8030, those scared off by the ones bass driver can find me for exchange

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Still look like wrinkles to me, as long as it’s normal and nobody reports distorted speaker found open up and that thing breaks I won’t care about that.

Or I have a pair of 8030, those scared off by the ones bass driver can find me for exchange
I've never seen wrinkles in any driver before
Is that normal?

YSC

Major Contributor
I've never seen wrinkles in any driver before
Is that normal?
it's not on the driver effective portion, and it's all on the straight portion on the oval geometry, I can only imagine that if it's say the pre press reinforced paper shape is optimized for the round part of the surround and thus some will wrinkle on the long side. I've seen IRL most reinforced paper have some sort of irregularities even on the surface, like tiny threads of fibre sticking out, tiny wrinkles around the embedded fibre.. as long as it don't actually break and cause distortion in a few years out in the wild, I would say it's perfectly normal.

Best to determine if it's normal is that when it's sold in large quantity and sold for years, if it's remotely a quality issue you will see a lot of reports on the internet (e.g. Focal BASH amp, focal shape auto sleep function not working properly, KEF wireless drop out etc.) but thus far I saw none. in that case I would define that as the design itself which works but not looking so good. Meanwhile if you are on the visual perfectionist (which if you don't take it apart you won't even see that) then of course you are free to choose anyother product which gives you peace of mind, and if you had the ones which makes you feels bad at your home, feel free to ship it to me so I enjoy that instead:)

Penelinfi

There's a heap of different drivers with wrinkled texture, slits, slots, ribs, honeycomb, funky surrounds.
These Genelec drivers just look like large internal TV speakers, but then again you aren't supposed to see them so why make them look any better?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a heap of different drivers with wrinkled texture, slits, slots, ribs, honeycomb, funky surrounds.
These Genelec drivers just look like large internal TV speakers, but then again you aren't supposed to see them so why make them look any better?

Just to be clear, we aren't referring to the surround, but the small irregular and accidental looking cracks in the top and bottom of the driver diaphragm inside of the surround.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The pics from Genelec in the first post show the drivers up close and in higher resolution. What “appears” to be cracks in some of the other low res pics are actually wrinkles and fibers in the cone material. Genelec has confirmed this is a normal result of the manufacturing process.

Top Bottom