• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec G Five

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dusted off my credit card and ordered the G Five. Here are my reasons for going G Five over 8050b.

1) I could get black
2) They are $200.00 per pair cheaper (I also managed a 5% discount so $400.00 off)
3) Line in. I probably use balanced from my Topping D30 Pro but I have the option to feed the G Fives from my sub

The downside is I'm going to be waiting 3 to 6 months for delivery.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear that. I'll let you know how I'm doing mentally in a few weeks. The 8050 is out of stock here as well and the dealer gave me the same time frame. I figured I might as well get what I want.

Normally I'd just buy from the USA and drop ship. But the prices are higher (with exchange) than here in Canada.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wow, I see only 2 resellers selling the G Five in Canada:

Plus amazon, but that's out of stock.

That black looks sick. :D
18494_full.jpg

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered some grills in Nov for my 1032’s from avshop.ca, supposed to be here in March so I get ya. Only upside was they were much cheaper than I thought!

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered some grills in Nov for my 1032’s from avshop.ca, supposed to be here in March so I get ya. Only upside was they were much cheaper than I thought!
I ordered from avshop.ca as well.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I see only 2 resellers selling the G Five in Canada:

Plus amazon, but that's out of stock.

That black looks sick. :D
18494_full.jpg
Yeah I had to have the black. The Mrs would have freaked if I tried to bring those grey things into the house.

somerlad

Ordered 8030c in white back in October and have only received 1 of the 2 monitors so far. Genelec has a lot of demand right now. Couldn't pass up 36 months 0% interest financing, though, so ended up ordering a 7050c from the same dealer with the same financing deal knowing it would probably be another few months before I get it...

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered 8030c in white back in October and have only received 1 of the 2 monitors so far. Genelec has a lot of demand right now. Couldn't pass up 36 months 0% interest financing, though, so ended up ordering a 7050c from the same dealer with the same financing deal knowing it would probably be another few months before I get it...
Only having one. That would have driven me insane. Genelec don't recommend subs with the 8050 or g five but I have a svs mirco 3000 that I'm going to try to pair.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7050c is kind of odd looking. I'd have a hard time hiding that in my living room.

whyfi

I just dusted off my credit card and ordered the G Five
Curious why you are going with Genelecs over passives for your listening room. I am setting up a small listening room and the G Four is on my short list. My reasoning is that I was in the market for Kef R3 or Focal 906 which would then need an amp so looking at $2500-$3000. But the G Four would remove the amp, simplify my rig, cost less and has comparable or better measurements.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I hear that. I'll let you know how I'm doing mentally in a few weeks. The 8050 is out of stock here as well and the dealer gave me the same time frame. I figured I might as well get what I want.

Normally I'd just buy from the USA and drop ship. But the prices are higher (with exchange) than here in Canada.
Hang tough you can make it

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious why you are going with Genelecs over passives for your listening room. I am setting up a small listening room and the G Four is on my short list. My reasoning is that I was in the market for Kef R3 or Focal 906 which would then need an amp so looking at $2500-$3000. But the G Four would remove the amp, simplify my rig, cost less and has comparable or better measurements.
Good question. I'm getting older (65) and it's time to downsize. I've had a Linn Aktiv system for over 20 years. 3 amps, pre-amp, CD player, turntable. For me The TT and CD were never used so I sold them. I then had no reason to have a pre-amp. Now the 3 amps and towers are just taking up to much space.

I figure when they drag me into an old folks home I'll be able to bring my tiny stereo with me ;)

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For this speaker I have read in this thread, "its bass reproduction goes much lower than most subwoofers can go".
It seems to be specified at 32 -6dbs. If my REL says 25, what am I not understanding please?

Trell

Major Contributor
For this speaker I have read in this thread, "its bass reproduction goes much lower than most subwoofers can go".
It seems to be specified at 32 -6dbs. If my REL says 25, what am I not understanding please?
That must be a crappy subwoofer.

Top Bottom