• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

Ecksbocks

+8db at 60hz is huge. You'd better like bass with such a profile.
Oh sorry, never mind anything below 85 hz since using subwoofers. I wouldn't call 8db huge below around 100 hz with well controlled decay.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 17.20.11.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 17.20.11.png
    565.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
Is there a way with GLM to intervene above 1.000Hz?
Is it possible to enter positive values manually?
Can it be useful to use GLM and Dirac at the same time?
Thank you

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You may decide otherwise but I find less is more with room correction, I tried both Dirac and GLM ( early version) now I would only correct below a few hundred hertz, just depending on you room essentially correct up to where the wiggly line becomes les wiggly.
There are actually very good reasons not to correct in the non-minimal phase region of the FR.
Keith

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you
Glm allows you to adjust/set your own filters and shelves.

mkt

Thank you
Glm allows you to adjust/set your own filters and shelves.
I am not an expert but I think that only the ones with plus signs let you enter positive values.

1681245175933.png

outfaced

Thank you
Have both ...use only GLM - does the job better. Dirac over GLM is worse. Didnt tested properly GLM over dirac tough. I mean it depends which is first.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Have both ...use only GLM - does the job better. Dirac over GLM is worse. Didnt tested properly GLM over dirac tough. I mean it depends which is first.
it's not really possible to use GLM auto calibration with anything before it, as the test tones doesn't even travel through the signal cable

[I just realized there are two 8361A vs 8351B threads, so I have moved this post from another thread (of the same title) to this thread (where I had originally intended to post)]

I am now a happy owner of a pair of Genelec 8361A’s, in addition to my Genelec 8351B’s!

And unless plans change, I will likely order a third for a center channel in a month or so, but the third one will likely be taking a quick detour to Amir for testing (unless someone else beats me to it) :)

Some initial impressions:
  • The 8361A are MUCH bigger (and heavier… by about 2x) in-person than I expected. Just seeing them in photos, since all “The Ones” look very similar, it’s hard to get a tangible sense of scale. The 8361A look and feel about twice as big as the 8351’s. I love the size of them, though — just about at the upper limit of what a single average person can carry on their own (using the carry handle straps it is conveniently shipped with attached to the rear mounting bolt sockets).
  • Finding stands is a bit more complex than the 8351B. The stand plates that the 8351B iso-pods fit into do not work with the 8361A, since the 8361A iso-pods are much larger. I think the rear mount bolt sockets have the same dimensions on the 8351 and 8361, but this is mostly relevant when wall mounting I think. I don’t think the Genelec 8000-series design stands work with the 8361 (as the 8351 is explicitly mentioned as compatible, but the 8361 is not mentioned), presumably because it would probably not have the right center of gravity even if it was successfully bolted on.
  • In terms of sound quality at medium/low levels, I can’t really tell a difference — they sound exactly like the 8351B’s, and that’s a very good thing. If there is a perceptible difference, I probably need a better room to be able to judge (as mine is currently untreated and a bit too lively for my taste).
  • Most strikingly, the bass power these are capable of is amazing. Of course they don’t go as deep as my Salon2’s did (nor should they, given cabinet volume differences) but down to 30hz they can effortlessly deliver impact and energy that you can physically feel in your bones and every surface around you. Whether you like loud EDM, or reproducing powerful bass drums in an orchestra, or just explosions in movies — this is a great thing.
  • Another practical result of so much bass headroom is I can fearlessly apply a bit more of a deep bass favored tilt (which I prefer), without ever needing to worry about stressing this speaker’s limits.
To paint a picture of how hugely powerful the bass on the 8361’s is, consider this track suggested to me by a friend who really likes EDM music. This track is very bass-heavy. With or without my Genelec subwoofer (crossed at 60hz), I could turn this up to the point that my 8351B’s clipping/limiter light would flash orange, before it was unbearably painfully loud:

In contrast, playing this track via just the pair of 8361A’s alone (and no subwoofer), I am unable to find the 8361’s limit. Meaning, I could turn it up louder and louder to levels beyond anything I’d ever want to experience without earplugs, and I was unable to get the clipping indicator to appear. And never any hint of strain or distortion.

With the 7360 subwoofer enabled along with the 8361’s, the subwoofer starts to give out very quickly (starts clipping) before the 8361 even think about breaking a sweat. Of course this is no big surprise, since this just a 10” ported sub. But I think you’d essentially need something like JTR Captivators or Rythmik FV25HP to produce deep bass matching the midbass dynamics capability of the Genelec 8361A.
Thanks for your feedback, I've a pair of 8361A but no space for adding more for atmos so I'm thinking going full 8351B with two 7360A, do you think I will be able to hear the same accurate result on low frequencies I curently have with my 8361A on EDM music with this new setup ? Thanks a lot as you're maybe the only one to have tried these two different speakers setup :)

8351B + 7360A here and it's been 2 months on a daily basis that I've failed to find anything to blame. And I'm quite obsessive.

If your question is "will there be a big difference" the answer is for sure "no".
Hello, what crossover freq did you choose ? :)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have selected the crossover frequency based on the dips in my room. I couldn't chose any other fq than 55hz. I wish it was a bit higher (I have no complain though) but I have dips at 45hz and 70hz so...
Why? Can you move the sub to help it?

Hmast

No I can't. But I've got a near bass flat response with the crossover at that point, I'm fine with it. My room is quite small so the sub won't move.

cl516

Hi, first post here. I’m a Sound Designer and Composer. Deciding between 51B and 61A. If my listening distance is honestly 1 meter and barely anymore, is 8361A overkill? I’ve read the numbers, just curious for opinions, anecdotes, etc. Thanks so much!

(p.s. I had already bought 51B, then asked dealer to hold shipment because of this)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi, first post here. I’m a Sound Designer and Composer. Deciding between 51B and 61A. If my listening distance is honestly 1 meter and barely anymore, is 8361A overkill? I’ve read the numbers, just curious for opinions, anecdotes, etc. Thanks so much!

(p.s. I had already bought 51B, then asked dealer to hold shipment because of this)
They will both be fine according to Genelec:

dis.PNG

dis2.PNG

pierre

Forum Donor

The 61A are really large and will look large potentially oversized if they are at one meter. If you plan to use subwoofer(s), then i would use 41A+subs and if not go for the larger one (don't forget to put the limiter in place, this things can blow your ears at 1m).

Hmast

Both will be fine. You have ton wonder whether the additional 2000 USD is worth the -2db in the bass region. I doubt you can ear it actually, the main difference will be in the sound volume capability which to you isn't a thing since you're listening to the speakers very close.

I would take the 51B in your context and then add a subwoofer later if needed.

Top Bottom