• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010 XLR cable problem

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reactions: MCH
OP
B

Bucking

Maybe some padding that I can cut out a part so the cable can fit

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've also found those but they won't fit due to the way the XLR port is positioned on the 8010s.

View attachment 323308

When a cable has Neutrik connectors like this: https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_xlr_patch_winkelmale_90cm.htm

You can change the cable outlet position...

1699000297712.png

So I think you will be able to unscrew the plug, change the angle and screw it back together again (no soldering required!). You should check with Thomann that the cable I linked to does have that model Neutrik connector (i'm not sure if all the right angled Neutrik plugs have the adjustable outlet)

OP
B

Bucking

When a cable has Neutrik connectors like this: https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_xlr_patch_winkelmale_90cm.htm

You can change the cable outlet position...

View attachment 323350

So I think you will be able to unscrew the plug, change the angle and screw it back together again (no soldering required!). You should check with Thomann that the cable I linked to does have that model Neutrik connector (i'm not sure if all the right angled Neutrik plugs have the adjustable outlet)
Will try
Thank you

OP
B

Bucking

Seems like the maximum length for these is 1 meter that's kinda short

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are companies in the UK that will make the cable to your specification e.g.

or

I assume there are similar companies in Germany. They would probably set the plug at correct angle if you explain your requirement for the Genelec.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I don't see a problem with the way it is. XLR patch cables and connections are pretty quick, tight and easy to know, if there is a good connection.
Bending the cable as you have will have no ill effect for the first 300+ tweeks at that position :) . If you look, it is a slow sweeping bend over an
inch from the actual connections in the barrel. If there is an eco collar that sealed the cable to the terminal end, that is even better. It can't pull
on the screws or soldered ends.

XLRs were and are for pro use, (tongue in cheek). I think the cable will outlast the speaker to tell the truth. I just make sure the terminal end I use have
copper terminal ends and the cabling is copper.

Shy a few phono stages, I'm all XLR. I've pulled a few heavy cabinet (250 pounders) on dollies with just #20 or 18 patch cables.
Minor sound adjustments.

You're not one of those people that dance on your desk on Fridays are you? Just askin'

Maybe silicon the speakers to the desk, put a hole through the desk and plug in the patch. Put a cable grommet where you drilled the hole. Look
like it was made that way, unless it's an antique desk or something.

I'm trying to fix something that isn't broke. Let me rethink this.

Regards.

OP
B

Bucking

I don't see a problem with the way it is. XLR patch cables and connections are pretty quick, tight and easy to know, if there is a good connection.
Bending the cable as you have will have no ill effect for the first 300+ tweeks at that position :) . If you look, it is a slow sweeping bend over an
inch from the actual connections in the barrel. If there is an eco collar that sealed the cable to the terminal end, that is even better. It can't pull
on the screws or soldered ends.

XLRs were and are for pro use, (tongue in cheek). I think the cable will outlast the speaker to tell the truth. I just make sure the terminal end I use have
copper terminal ends and the cabling is copper.

Shy a few phono stages, I'm all XLR. I've pulled a few heavy cabinet (250 pounders) on dollies with just #20 or 18 patch cables.
Minor sound adjustments.

You're not one of those people that dance on your desk on Fridays are you? Just askin'

Maybe silicon the speakers to the desk, put a hole through the desk and plug in the patch. Put a cable grommet where you drilled the hole. Look
like it was made that way, unless it's an antique desk or something.

I'm trying to fix something that isn't broke. Let me rethink this.

Regards.
I'll probably just leave it like it is and see if problems occur

nagster

my proposal.
Do you not own a standard NEUTRIK XLR (NC3MXX) cable?
If so, NC3MRX, which many people have posted, is convenient. You can change the straight type to the right angle type by replacing only the housing.
You can change the straight type and right angle type at any time with your bare hands by replacing the yellow circle in the picture. Previously, I replaced the standard XLR cable terminal (NC3MXX) with NC3MRX.
The insert and cable remain soldered. Chuck and bushing are still passed through the cable. No soldering iron or screwdriver required.
Save the replaced straight housing. Your environment may change in the future and you may want to change it back.

There is also the option of purchasing a straight type NEUTRIK XLR (NC3MXX) cable and NC3MRX terminal from the beginning.
Stores may have limited stock of right-angle XLR cables, but they probably stock straight XLR cables in a variety of types (belden? canare?), lengths, and colors.

Attachments

• nc3mrx_01.jpg
    nc3mrx_01.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 33
  • nc3mrx_02.jpg
    nc3mrx_02.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 32

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my proposal.
Do you not own a standard NEUTRIK XLR (NC3MXX) cable?
If so, NC3MRX, which many people have posted, is convenient. You can change the straight type to the right angle type by replacing only the housing.
You can change the straight type and right angle type at any time with your bare hands by replacing the yellow circle in the picture. Previously, I replaced the standard XLR cable terminal (NC3MXX) with NC3MRX.
The insert and cable remain soldered. Chuck and bushing are still passed through the cable. No soldering iron or screwdriver required.
Save the replaced straight housing. Your environment may change in the future and you may want to change it back.

There is also the option of purchasing a straight type NEUTRIK XLR (NC3MXX) cable and NC3MRX terminal from the beginning.
Stores may have limited stock of right-angle XLR cables, but they probably stock straight XLR cables in a variety of types (belden? canare?), lengths, and colors.

That's a good call, but I don't think the existing cables have Neutrik connectors - they look like Rean, which I think is owned by Neutrik, but is a bit more of a budget line.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option is to carefully cut a section of the strain relief off the back of the plug to allow the cable to bend a bit closer to the pins (i.e. with a greater radius).

MAB

Major Contributor
Yeah, that entire strain-relief can be removed, cut, enlarged, modified, etc.
1699028024788.png

Looks like your connectors use a press-on strain-relief (like the one left of the above picture). Some are thread-on. All can be easily modified. You could even shorten the connector body on the Cannon connector I showed, so long as you smooth over any remaining sharp edges.

JeffGB

Am I the only one who has thoughts of a "redneck" solution, like drilling a hole in your desk on each side? Cheap and even gets the cable off the desk. Not good if you like to move your speakers a lot :).

OP
B

Bucking

Yeah, that entire strain-relief can be removed, cut, enlarged, modified, etc.
View attachment 323456
Looks like your connectors use a press-on strain-relief (like the one left of the above picture). Some are thread-on. All can be easily modified. You could even shorten the connector body on the Cannon connector I showed, so long as you smooth over any remaining sharp edges.
This works perfectly don't know why I haven't tried that yet

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who has thoughts of a "redneck" solution, like drilling a hole in your desk on each side? Cheap and even gets the cable off the desk. Not good if you like to move your speakers a lot :).

...or you could turn the speakers upside down, or put them on their side :)

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom