• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gain matching explained

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All, I couldn't find anything on ASR on the explanation of gain matching. If it exist, can someone link me and then I will delete this post. Or link me to any resources on the internet.

TIA!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In what context? Matching to what?

...You do need to "level match" or "volume match" for A/B listening or ABX listening tests to eliminate volume differences as a variable. That's normally done with test tones and a multimeter. (Or with an SPL meter if comparing speakers.)

Louder often "sounds better" and people might say things like "it's more dynamic", etc., and with ABX you are simply trying to hear if there's ANY difference and different loudness is a dead-givaway.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In what context? Matching to what?

...You do need to "level match" or "volume match" for A/B listening or ABX listening tests to eliminate volume differences as a variable. That's normally done with test tones and a multimeter. (Or with an SPL meter if comparing speakers.)

Louder often "sounds better" and people might say things like "it's more dynamic", etc., and with ABX you are simply trying to hear if there's ANY difference and different loudness is a dead-givaway.
For instance, matching a preamp to an amp? I keep reading about this gain matching thing, I have yet to find anything that explains it well.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi All, I couldn't find anything on ASR on the explanation of gain matching. If it exist, can someone link me and then I will delete this post. Or link me to any resources on the internet.

TIA!

It can get complicated. There is a long painful read on ASR here:

If all you want to do is to match signal levels that is an easier task.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Good lord, going to have to reserve few free nights for this!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Good lord, going to have to reserve few free nights for this!
There are lots of pictures... ;) And again, if all you want to do is to match signal levels to avoid overdriving (or significantly under driving) the components, that does not require all the noise and distortion analysis in that thread.

Last edited:
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Meanwhile, I am trying to put this together. Would appreciate any expertise you may be able to contribute. TIA!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The preamp simply needs a hot-enough signal to drive the power amp to full-power. That's usually not a problem, except that some pro power amps want a higher "pro" line level signal. Most of the time preamps are attenuating,* rather than amplifying, and most line-level signals are attenuated before going to the power amp or power amp stage.

* That's not the case for mic preamps or phono preamps, which are true preamps.

Top Bottom