• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

From DT 880 and equalizing to Harman Curve. Upgrade?

gorman

Hi everybody. I’ve been reading tens and tens of reviews in the past few weeks. I’ve recently discovered the Harman Curve, oratory1990 work, AutoEQ, etc. Those techniques have been transformative to say the least for my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (2004 model, still going strongly).

I’m a firm non-believer in audio myths, so don’t worry about those. I’m looking for down to earth suggestions.

Currently I have a Topping D10 DAC (bought after reading its review here) and a Corda HA-1 MkII that I bought in 2004 for the DT 880. As mentioned, I equalise the headphones to the Harman Curve and I’m plenty satisfied.
But I’ve been wondering: is there an upgrade path for me? For headphones, I mean, considering that I would be looking at basically the same sound signature (Harman curve). Models that I’ve taken into consideration are: HD 800 (hoping to find them second hand), Hifiman Ananda/Arya, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home or DT 1990.

Considering sound signature (frequency response) after equalisation would be quite similar, I guess one of the first parameters would be comfort while wearing them (DT 880 are good in that regard, as far as I’m concerned), then there are those “technicalities” as they’re often labelled in discussions concerning headphones. Speed, decay, soundstage. But overall the question is: would I be wasting my money for a 1% improvement or there’s more space available to grow?

If this space exists, what would you suggest as far as headphone models are concerned?
Thanks for your time and attention. I hope this is not a boring subject. Problem with reading reviews online is that pretty much all of them make a great deal about the way headphones sound enequalized and I could not care less about that, as I’m in love with equalisation.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Once properly EQ'ed then technicalities are about the only thing that sets them apart.
My personal experience is that the HD800 is the best in the mentioned headphones (when EQ'ed).

The reason is comfort is high (for most folks), the drivers are slightly angled and further away from the ears than in the other models.
I found that when EQ'd there is nothing much around (in that price class) that has pin-point accuracy when it comes to 'separating' and 'placing' instruments stable and sharply defined as the HD800 does.
There are others that do not share this opinion.
The DT880 is a nice headphone that doesn't do much wrong (when EQ'ed) but doesn't excel in anything either.

I own DT880(250), DT990 (600), dt1990, dt1770, dt1350, COP and have heard DT770, 880, 990 in most iterations as well as the Sennheiser line-up hD580, HD58X, HD600, HD650 (old & new), HD700, HD800 and even a prototype.
Have heard most HiFiman and own(ed) a few, but not Arya.
The Amiron home needs EQ and when done correctly isn't much different from DT1990. without EQ they differ substantially.

I won't be stating this or that headphone is x % 'better'.. that's subjective nonsense.

A second hand HD800 + EQ is what I reach for most if quality is a must. Realize that original pads and headband padding for these headphones is expensive and don't last long. So there is maintenance involved... and get a more supple cable. The stock HD800 is horribly stiff and uncomfortable.
Because of the used connectors aftermarket cables usually also are very expensive.

The price difference with the DT880 is substantial though. Some don't think it is worth it, I disagree but if I were on a budget I would be happy with my (EQ'ed) DT880 or DT990 as well.

Last edited:
OP
G

gorman

I’m honored you replied to my post, solderdude, I’ve been reading your blogs intensely in the past few days.
Yeah... the % thing was nonsense probably, I meant to convey a concept about not wasting money, basically.

I thank you for the time you spent in answering me. HD800 looking good so far.

OP
G

gorman

Got used (like new it said) HD800. Plus a very good price for NAD Viso HP50, I could not resist the chance to test Roomfeel, plus I wanted a good closed headphone.

Now the wait begins, hoping my old Corda will be able to properly drive both headphones.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That is depending on which Corda it is.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Distortions and resonances are also important issues, and no amount of EQ can fix them if they are present.

The larger the driver, generally the less distortion it has in the bass. That's the main benefit of planar magnetic drivers over dynamic drivers. Almost all the headphones mentioned here so far are dynamic (except Hifiman), so it might be worth it to check out planar options.

Resonances can make frequencies linger and thus boosting them, but also smear them over time, thus lowering time resolution. Generally, the more open the headphone is, it suffers from less resonance issues.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to echo solderdude, and I see you have bought, the HD800. After EQ are just about the comfiest pair I own as well as one of the best. A very good decision, especially if a good pair of well priced second hand.

For me, dont EQ them as much as the Oratory or other EQ profiles suggest- they lose some of their magic. Listen to them stock, get a feel for strengths and weaknesses and tame the outliers, then let them make you smile.

OP
G

gorman

so it might be worth it to check out planar options
I scratched that itch with Audeze Mobius (not today, I’ve had them for six months now). Not the best planars, I’m sure. But at the end of the day I was too curious about HD800.

Last edited:
OP
G

gorman

Received HD800 today. First of all, wow at the comfort... :-O

Listening to them now with Oratory1990 EQ, they are really, really nice. Amp seems to drive them with no problem, with -7.7dB of preamp I'm listening at 11 o' clock on the amp. I've already had a couple of moments of stuff I hadn't heard before with albums I'm super familiar with. Coming from DT 880 I wasn't expecting this (they don't lack detail...).

I edit for clarity: this "stuff I hadn't heard before" is something I generally scoff at. To have it happen to me with such a well known album (to me, Different Class by Pulp) was really surprising. It seems impossible that I had not paid enough attention, with all the times I listened to that record. I'll try with other headphones, maybe the extremely open presentation drew my attention to those details, I don't know.

I also got a pair of NAD Viso HP50, for $99. For the money they really are incredible. Wasn't expecting such quality.

Last edited:

Sharur

Once properly EQ'ed then technicalities are about the only thing that sets them apart.
My personal experience is that the HD800 is the best in the mentioned headphones (when EQ'ed).

The reason is comfort is high (for most folks), the drivers are slightly angled and further away from the ears than in the other models.
I found that when EQ'd there is nothing much around (in that price class) that has pin-point accuracy when it comes to 'separating' and 'placing' instruments stable and sharply defined as the HD800 does.
There are others that do not share this opinion.
The DT880 is a nice headphone that doesn't do much wrong (when EQ'ed) but doesn't excel in anything either.

I own DT880(250), DT990 (600), dt1990, dt1770, dt1350, COP and have heard DT770, 880, 990 in most iterations as well as the Sennheiser line-up hD580, HD58X, HD600, HD650 (old & new), HD700, HD800 and even a prototype.
The Amiron home needs EQ and when done correctly isn't much different from DT1990. without EQ they differ substantially.

I won't be stating this or that headphone is x % 'better'.. that's subjective nonsense.

A second hand HD800 + EQ is what I reach for most if quality is a must. Realize that original pads and headband padding for these headphones is expensive and don't last long. So there is maintenance involved... and get a more supple cable. The stock HD800 is horribly stiff and uncomfortable.
Because of the used connectors aftermarket cables usually also are very expensive.

The price difference with the DT880 is substantial though. Some don't think it is worth it, I disagree but if I were on a budget I would be happy with my (EQ'ed) DT880 or DT990 as well.
Just curious, without EQ do you prefer the HD800 or the DT880 600 Ω?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
without EQ (personal preference):
HD800S over DT880
DT880 over HD800

Stereo imaging is better on HD800(S)

There is also a difference between early and later DT880's
The DT880 BE for instance is closer to DT990/Amiron than to the old 'flat' DT880.

The DT880-600 requires a LOT more voltage so takes an amplifier that can provide enough voltage to make Amirs earlobes shake.

There is a substantial price difference though. DT880 is not a poor mans HD800.

devopsprodude

Some people have a shoe closet, and you likely have one for headphones instead. Quite impressive collection. Would love to see a pic.

Which Ohm version of DT 880 and DT 990 do you have?

Also, thanks for the good advice.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They are scattered everywhere. In drawers on shelves, on desks, in boxes, or family members using some.
Some are sold or given away.

DT880 BE but modified so it isn't as 'warm' anymore + filtered = 250 ohm
DT990-600 (very old one) and DT990-250 (also old, but both aren't used).
The old DT990 used to be my go to cans... long ago.

The DT880(former BE) I grab sometimes.

Most used: HD560S, HD800, DT1770 (when needing closed), X2HR, DT1350 (portable setup) and sometimes KSC75.
The rest is stored somewhere.

Top Bottom