• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Za3 or used integrated?

So right now i m using my smsl su1 into my denon 2113 avr. a while ago i sold my tv and stuff because i found out im just more of a music person. i want to change it for a stereo amp.
currently running 2 Elac elx 8080 and a svs sb1000.

now i hear all the rave about fosi v3 and the new ZA3. but for the price of 150 bucks i could also get a yamaha as500 wich someone sells here at my place.
its just really hard to filter out hyped products if its just marketing or if they re actually that nice. you read mixed reviews on here

Zek

Major Contributor
for the price of 150 bucks i could also get a yamaha as500
If it's in good condition and without any problems, I'd take the A-S500 because of more options for connecting devices and more options for adjusting the sound.

OP
D
If it's in good condition and without any problems, I'd take the A-S500 because of more options for connecting devices and more options for adjusting the sound.

yeah, i dont know. i really like how efficient the fosis are because in 2023 i dont really want to have a room heater anymore that drains a fortune of the wall, but costwise its hard to say that this or that class d is a 100 or 150$ amp because since they are so barebones you kind of need to buy a preamp at some point and maybe power supplies and all that stuff

what i m really worried about however is: how are those fosis long term? they put out new amps every month and then noone talks about the old ones anymore. if i puy something like a yamaha or a pioneer or whatever... those amps are kind of designed to work for a long time so you can get an amp you can still use in 10-20 years. will a fosi v3 still work in 10-20 years? there is zero information on actual long term usage on these

i also dont know how much sense they make in mono blocks because then its more like 300$ of amp and i can get something else for that

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
yeah, i dont know. i really like how efficient the fosis are because in 2023 i dont really want to have a room heater anymore that drains a fortune of the wall, but costwise its hard to say that this or that class d is a 100 or 150$ amp because since they are so barebones you kind of need to buy a preamp at some point and maybe power supplies and all that stuff

what i m really worried about however is: how are those fosis long term? they put out new amps every month and then noone talks about the old ones anymore. if i puy something like a yamaha or a pioneer or whatever... those amps are kind of designed to work for a long time so you can get an amp you can still use in 10-20 years. will a fosi v3 still work in 10-20 years? there is zero information on actual long term usage on these

i also dont know how much sense they make in mono blocks because then its more like 300$ of amp and i can get something else for that

I don't know if anyone can answer how are the Fosi Audio 'V3' and 'ZA3' long term. As mentioned, if the Yamaha is in good condition and with no problems, I also would choose the Yamaha. At the same time, I don't know how much of a difference I would perceive using the Yamaha over running your Denon in stereo

NoMoFoNo

Agree with previous poster about questioning whether the Yamaha will actually sound different/better than the Denon you already have. If you aren't hankering for more power, why the change?

The Yamaha is part of a long-running, venerable line of integrated amps. If it's in good shape then $150 seems like a price I'd have a hard time turning down. I own a Fosi V3 with 48V/5A power supply and it is a wonderful amplifier, but it's got one input and no remote control. The Yamaha provides many more options for inputs and remote control.

OP
D
In that end however i have to say, the only Thing i use my remote for is to Turn the Denon on and Off. Everything Else i do on my Phone i cast from. And Multiple Inputs are Kind of irellevant to me in 2023. I need one Input für my Streamer.

Barry_Sound

So right now i m using my smsl su1 into my denon 2113 avr. a while ago i sold my tv and stuff because i found out im just more of a music person. i want to change it for a stereo amp.
currently running 2 Elac elx 8080 and a svs sb1000.

now i hear all the rave about fosi v3 and the new ZA3. but for the price of 150 bucks i could also get a yamaha as500 wich someone sells here at my place.
its just really hard to filter out hyped products if its just marketing or if they re actually that nice. you read mixed reviews on here
If you are looking for a 100% no bs classic stereo amp also consider the NAD C316.

NAD-c316bee-i1.jpg

(Image source: Fairaudio.de)

NoMoFoNo

In that end however i have to say, the only Thing i use my remote for is to Turn the Denon on and Off. Everything Else i do on my Phone i cast from. And Multiple Inputs are Kind of irellevant to me in 2023. I need one Input für my Streamer.

If that's the case, and if you don't love the idea of the Yamaha, I would grab the Fosi in a heartbeat. I have the V3 and it has changed my entire approach to amplification. These TPA-325X amps are cheap, small, great-sounding, small, so much to like about them. Try it and send it back if it doesn't make you happy.

If that's the case, and if you don't love the idea of the Yamaha, I would grab the Fosi in a heartbeat. I have the V3 and it has changed my entire approach to amplification. These TPA-325X amps are cheap, small, great-sounding, small, so much to like about them. Try it and send it back if it doesn't make you happy.
I've struggled in the Class A/B vs ClassD struggle recently. But getting my zA3 yesterday did ac couple of things. First it showed me it is a real thing - I also have the V3 but I see that as a black box amp, which it is. But the ZA3 basically allowed me to run my Topping e50 (using XLR) for the digital side of my house and the line in (via RCA/SE from Phono Stage) allowed me to have a digital/analog integrated am on the cheap. And while it doesn't have tone management, the configuration doesn't seem to need it. Second, the ZA3 is really making wonder about which components I really need. Meaning, I have a technics integrated amplifier that is really quite good, with input selection diversity, tone management etc. But, being of a certain vintage, it comes from a time where Aux In wasn't a thing and also doesn't know what a subwoofer is. These are all solvable problems, but they mean more cables, more hacks and therefore more complexity. So I have a "vintage" solid state amplifier en route as an experiment. But the ZA3 landed earlier and now makes me thing the SS Class A/B amp is now somewhat or fully irrelevant.

So my current stack is:
Analog Side:
Pioneer PL-630, Technics SL-10, and Thorens TD-124 all into a phono switch box, which goes into either a Hagerman Cornet2 Tube phone stage OR a Hagerman Bugle3 SS phono stage (I alternate periodically between which stage I use, but its a swap move, not something I actively switch as every extra layer invites hum that is work to resolve). The phono stage then goes into the RCA/SE line in of my Teac ud-503 Dac/Headphone amp.

Digital Side:
The Teac UD-503 is the home - Rega Planet CDP into Digital COAX, TV/Video goes in via TOSLINK fiber, and my PI box (connected over ethernet to Music Store/NAS) using Moode Audio music server app (highly recommended BTW).

Amplifier Side:
TEAC UF-503 sends output via XLR to ZA3 - ZA3 remains at 100% volume level and volume management is done with TEAC UD-503. Full range speakers are B&W DM12s. ZA3 sub out to my Polk sub.

Lots of words, and sounds complicated, but (excluding sources and speakers ), I'm down to three dac/amp/preamp devices with input management, volume management and its an AWESOME experience - far simpler, far more connected and logical and, to my mind, ridiculously cheap for the quality of sounds, and the "user experience" I now have. The dedicated SS A/B amp can just slide into that stack to replace the ZA3, but its a giant box and a taller, more visible stack, by comparison. Technically, I have also transferred all CDs to the NAS so the Rega planet can go away o_O.

Summary, ZA3 has finally shown me I can (and probably will) live with smaller Class D amplification - for me it just now finally makes sense.

OP
D
I've struggled in the Class A/B vs ClassD struggle recently. But getting my zA3 yesterday did ac couple of things. First it showed me it is a real thing - I also have the V3 but I see that as a black box amp, which it is. But the ZA3 basically allowed me to run my Topping e50 (using XLR) for the digital side of my house and the line in (via RCA/SE from Phono Stage) allowed me to have a digital/analog integrated am on the cheap. And while it doesn't have tone management, the configuration doesn't seem to need it. Second, the ZA3 is really making wonder about which components I really need. Meaning, I have a technics integrated amplifier that is really quite good, with input selection diversity, tone management etc. But, being of a certain vintage, it comes from a time where Aux In wasn't a thing and also doesn't know what a subwoofer is. These are all solvable problems, but they mean more cables, more hacks and therefore more complexity. So I have a "vintage" solid state amplifier en route as an experiment. But the ZA3 landed earlier and now makes me thing the SS Class A/B amp is now somewhat or fully irrelevant.

So my current stack is:
Analog Side:
Pioneer PL-630, Technics SL-10, and Thorens TD-124 all into a phono switch box, which goes into either a Hagerman Cornet2 Tube phone stage OR a Hagerman Bugle3 SS phono stage (I alternate periodically between which stage I use, but its a swap move, not something I actively switch as every extra layer invites hum that is work to resolve). The phono stage then goes into the RCA/SE line in of my Teac ud-503 Dac/Headphone amp.

Digital Side:
The Teac UD-503 is the home - Rega Planet CDP into Digital COAX, TV/Video goes in via TOSLINK fiber, and my PI box (connected over ethernet to Music Store/NAS) using Moode Audio music server app (highly recommended BTW).

Amplifier Side:
TEAC UF-503 sends output via XLR to ZA3 - ZA3 remains at 100% volume level and volume management is done with TEAC UD-503. Full range speakers are B&W DM12s. ZA3 sub out to my Polk sub.

Lots of words, and sounds complicated, but (excluding sources and speakers ), I'm down to three dac/amp/preamp devices with input management, volume management and its an AWESOME experience - far simpler, far more connected and logical and, to my mind, ridiculously cheap for the quality of sounds, and the "user experience" I now have. The dedicated SS A/B amp can just slide into that stack to replace the ZA3, but its a giant box and a taller, more visible stack, by comparison. Technically, I have also transferred all CDs to the NAS so the Rega planet can go away o_O.

Summary, ZA3 has finally shown me I can (and probably will) live with smaller Class D amplification - for me it just now finally makes sense.
thx, i will prob go with the fosi then, tho i need to wait a lot because on amazon, they are allready sold out and fosi told me in an email they go back in stock around january 25.

The thing that really kind of drives me towards the fosi is how many benefits the formfactor brings in besides just pure audio quality. there is nothing cool in wasting alot of space if something small can do the same thing and power consumption is also a thing because alot of those ab integrated are power hungry room heaters.

i could be totally wrong about it, but if you have a look at every other aspect of consumer electronics, stuff gets smaller and stuff gets more efficient. noone wants to have a huge desk with 50kilos worth of crt monitors at home anymore because its largely unpractical aswell, and i have a certain feeling, smaller form factor class d amps might also be the future of audio and where its going. you see less and less hifi setups in modern homes nowadays and i think it also has to do with the fact how much space you need for all that stuff. having small amps might bring people back to audio gear aswell.

another issue i see personally: used gear it gets older every day as we speak. yeah an old quality amp might last like 20 years but if its allready old, you know. the yamaha isnt super vintage, its from 2010 but still thats 13 years old allready. with a fosi, you re buying brand new 2023 hardware with warranty on top and a return policy if you dont like it.

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
thx, i will prob go with the fosi then, tho i need to wait a lot because on amazon, they are allready sold out and fosi told me in an email they go back in stock around january 25.

The thing that really kind of drives me towards the fosi is how many benefits the formfactor brings in besides just pure audio quality. there is nothing cool in wasting alot of space if something small can do the same thing and power consumption is also a thing because alot of those ab integrated are power hungry room heaters.

i could be totally wrong about it, but if you have a look at every other aspect of consumer electronics, stuff gets smaller and stuff gets more efficient. noone wants to have a huge desk with 50kilos worth of crt monitors at home anymore because its largely unpractical aswell, and i have a certain feeling, smaller form factor class d amps might also be the future of audio and where its going. you see less and less hifi setups in modern homes nowadays and i think it also has to do with the fact how much space you need for all that stuff. having small amps might bring people back to audio gear aswell.

another issue i see personally: used gear it gets older every day as we speak. yeah an old quality amp might last like 20 years but if its allready old, you know. the yamaha isnt super vintage, its from 2010 but still thats 13 years old allready. with a fosi, you re buying brand new 2023 hardware with warranty on top and a return policy if you dont like it.

I don't know which Amazon you use. Fosi Audio's listing for their ZA3 on Amazon USA currently shows a delivery window of January 4 to January 9, 2024 for my address.

OP
D
I don't know which Amazon you use. Fosi Audio's listing for their ZA3 on Amazon USA currently shows a delivery window of January 4 to January 9, 2024 for my address.
i live in germany. they had 1 fosi in stock yesterday and it was gone in 2 minutes. amazon doesnt even list an delivery window. they straight up say: currently not available and we dont know when they come back

OP
D
another option i m currently thinking about is going way cheaper.

150Euros is a weird price to be at somehow and i could need money for other stuff aswell. there are so many used integrated amps like sonys, yamaha, teac, denon, technics and whatnot used for like 35-40 bucks. a dual pa 5060 is up for 60 bucks and it looks like its not that bad either.

basicly go as cheap as possible to save money. and then put a bit of money on the side the next months and get something a little better in half a year.

and the fosi stuff, i dont think its all that cheap for 150 Euros tbh. might better to just go super cheap as a temporary solution and then up the budget in half a year and actually get a really nice used amp. or preamp/power amp solution.

also something that bothers me with fosi:

1. resell value. i did sell my avr for more than i even payed for it because those named brands keep their value quiet stable. whos buying a fosi in a year when fosi allready released 5 new ones.
  2. the mono mode on the fosi seems to be a gimmick since it does not double the output but just mutes one channel. and overall:
  3. you want to have a remote/tonecontrol preamp in front of it anyways so alot of the features you re paying for become irellevant like the volume knob or sub out and stuff. i rather just have a plain black box amp only fosi then.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
another option i m currently thinking about is going way cheaper.

150Euros is a weird price to be at somehow and i could need money for other stuff aswell. there are so many used integrated amps like sonys, yamaha, teac, denon, technics and whatnot used for like 35-40 bucks. a dual pa 5060 is up for 60 bucks and it looks like its not that bad either.

basicly go as cheap as possible to save money. and then put a bit of money on the side the next months and get something a little better in half a year.

and the fosi stuff, i dont think its all that cheap for 150 Euros tbh. might better to just go super cheap as a temporary solution and then up the budget in half a year and actually get a really nice used amp. or preamp/power amp solution.

also something that bothers me with fosi:

1. resell value. i did sell my avr for more than i even payed for it because those named brands keep their value quiet stable. whos buying a fosi in a year when fosi allready released 5 new ones.
  2. the mono mode on the fosi seems to be a gimmick since it does not double the output but just mutes one channel. and overall:
  3. you want to have a remote/tonecontrol preamp in front of it anyways so alot of the features you re paying for become irellevant like the volume knob or sub out and stuff. i rather just have a plain black box amp only fosi then.
No argument on some of the demerits listed for the Fosi Audio ZA3. I've been using a ZA3 for all of 5 hours, to date, in a secondary location where critical listening isn't practical. It replaced a (still working) Topping PA5. The Fosi Audio ZA3 has a little more heft to it than similarly-priced Topping PA3s amplifier.

I like your idea of going cheap. I have an Aiyima A07 amplifier that has been used for extended periods as a backup amplifier. Consider saving up for an amplifier that measures as quiet as you want and with more power than you think you may need. You may end up using said amplifier for many years without feeling the need to 'upgrade'.

DavidM1

No argument on some of the demerits listed for the Fosi Audio ZA3. I've been using a ZA3 for all of 5 hours, to date, in a secondary location where critical listening isn't practical. It replaced a (still working) Topping PA5. The Fosi Audio ZA3 has a little more heft to it than similarly-priced Topping PA3s amplifier.

I like your idea of going cheap. I have an Aiyima A07 amplifier that has been used for extended periods as a backup amplifier. Consider saving up for an amplifier that measures as quiet as you want and with more power than you think you may need. You may end up using said amplifier for many years without feeling the need to 'upgrade'.
I’m curious. How did the ZA3 compare to the PA5?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I’m curious. How did the ZA3 compare to the PA5?
I am having trouble discerning a difference in using the ZA3 compared to the PA5.

OP
D
Way cheaper is keeping the Denon you already have. It makes 95wpc.

its allready sold, he just needs to pick it up. i sold it for more than i even payed for it to begin with. if i now buy some cheap used integrated for example i even have alot of money left over to save or put into other stuff. how is that way cheaper? i dont lose anything, i even make money on top.

here is what you dont understand okay? how is a person supposed to gain experience with audio gear if you dont try it? i keep hearing EVERYONE in the audio community saying: if you wanna do music, go for integrated. i never had an integrated, i want one to try if it really sounds better or not. i dont even give a fck if its cheaper or not. i dont want to use an AVR for a pure stereo music setup anymore so keeping the avr is not an option for me.

i dont want to be this guy listening online to what other people say and i have no opinion on it and cant relate. how do you know stuff? right because you tried different things, so if i dont try different things, my knowledge will never grow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom