• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 228 48.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 192 40.7%

• Total voters
I prefer the LME49860 opamp over Sparkos labs and Muses 02.... more opamps to roll.
The Orange knob is not included in any amplifier on sale at Fosi, is 9.99. Buying gold spray at Walmart to use 0.2 % of paint, with the new spray tips anyone will do an excellent paint job.

To be fair, in speaker loads the variance is greater than predicted by non inductive resistors
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...grated-amplifier-comparison-90-vs-9000.46827/
Thank you for the link. I had missed that. Fascinating stuff, good on you for the careful testing and posting. I am not sophisticated enough to fully interpret your results, but it appears others have already posted to that thread the initial skepticisms I may have.

....... I preferred the v3 to the nva class ab amp I had. So much so I sold the nva to now have the v3 with opa1622 op amps as my main amp. The harmonics with some class ab give the impression of a fuller lusher sound but that is the distortion that's giving this perceived difference. Same goes for tubes they add harmonics which in turn "flavours" the sound......Just know that you are getting a very neutral amp with the v3 with no added "flavour" / distortions. At the end of the day choose what makes you happy and you like the sound of better.
I had also not heard of NVA. Interesting brand with a unique engineering/brand story. I agree with your points, but would add that in addition to the distortion/harmonics that NVA/tube amps actually produce, they also produce positive or negative emotions based upon our previous experience, knowledge, and expectations. NVA appears to be a perfect example of a brand whose following increased mouth to mouth, rather than test measurement to measurement. A polar opposite of the V3 story.

I have yet to see measurement of a tube amp on ASR where 3rd order harmonics that would be expected to produce a warmer more musical sound appear in the graphs. There is distortion, just not the musical harmonic type. Perhaps I missed it.

As an old man I do know that glowing tubes make make me feel good because of my previous experience and my hobby restoring 1930-40s tube radios. For me, that history totally overwhelms any actual measurement differences. Choose what makes you happy and you like the sound of better is exactly right.

The thing is, when posts here characterize honestly held subjective experiences as objective fact, my early onset grouchiness kicks in. Others do not have the same previous life experiences that you do. Things will not sound the same to them.

everybody's tastes different i know; i used my denon for 8 years and i wanna little change for good about small size and acceptable volume for listening purposes. my shortlist is about 2 amps for now ; fosi v3 and smsl vmw a1. i'll try booth and compare to denon and decide witch one is stationary. class AB , class D or class A :)
One thought: if you listen frequently at softer volumes, as I do, you might consider buying a smaller amp that either has tone controls, or some form of a loudness circuit. I normally like things to not have any EQ, but there is a lot to be said for the V-curve for bass and treble when listening to music in more of a background way. I have a lot of individual setups in my home (1916 home, smaller rooms) so for places such as sunporch, dining room, a bedroom, lower volume levels are the norm.

You may find that the ability to emphasize B/T at softer levels is pleasant and resolves issues with switching to a class D amp from A/B....

One thought: if you listen frequently at softer volumes, as I do, you might consider buying a smaller amp that either has tone controls, or some form of a loudness circuit. I normally like things to not have any EQ, but there is a lot to be said for the V-curve for bass and treble when listening to music in more of a background way. I have a lot of individual setups in my home (1916 home, smaller rooms) so for places such as sunporch, dining room, a bedroom, lower volume levels are the norm.

You may find that the ability to emphasize B/T at softer levels is pleasant and resolves issues with switching to a class D amp from A/B....
I really like the TB10A which has tone controls and find it almost indistinguishable from the V3. Plus it's a little less expensive.

thanks ; thats the point what i thought when i bought the denon 8 years ago :) low volume listening sometimes needs loudness button or some adjusment in the tone control and very usable sometimes. i am not purist , wiim mini has got software eq but never tried.

I prefer the LME49860 opamp over Sparkos labs and Muses 02.... more opamps to roll.
The Orange knob is not included in any amplifier on sale at Fosi, is 9.99. Buying gold spray at Walmart to use 0.2 % of paint, with the new spray tips anyone will do an excellent paint job.
Warm and well ventilated room, I usually just hang out of my bedroom window as its summer here in the UK. Lightly sand 240-400 grit paper. Etch Primer spray first, lightly coat at 6-8 inches distance, second coat half hour later leave to dry for half an hour then colour and finish ie matt, satin or gloss using the same method then leave for 24 hours. Job done.

Reactions: T&T
Warm and well ventilated room, I usually just hang out of my bedroom window as its summer here in the UK. Lightly sand 240-400 grit paper. Etch Primer spray first, lightly coat at 6-8 inches distance, second coat half hour later leave to dry for half an hour then colour and finish ie matt, satin or gloss using the same method then leave for 24 hours. Job done.
I have already use this brand for years but in the last 2 years they have a new technology tip and primer is included... no drips as long as you follow instructions and don't over spray... 2x ultra cover... easier...bound to everything, I have al kinds of sand papers...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_084347_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_084347_Walmart.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
I have already use this brand for years but in the last 2 years they have a new technology tip and primer is included... no drips as long as you follow instructions and don't over spray... 2x ultra cover... easier...bound to everything, I have al kinds of sand papers...
Looks good, Rustoleum is good stuff!

I see Fosi has just added the V3 with 48v power supply as a $77 optional add on to its P3 tube buffer preamp ($64) Kickstarter Campaign. So $141 for both, probably shipping sometime in Sept. from China.

I also see Fosi has just released a desktop Headphone Amp/Preamp, the SK01, for $80 or less with coupons or on Ali-Express. Featuring defeatable Bass/Mid/Treble tone controls, gain switch, and loudness contour. EDIT, I guess it is not a DAC.

Functionally the SK01 would be an almost perfect companion to the V3, if they had only made it V3 shaped with RCA pre-outs and inputs.
Perhaps they will release an audiophile V3 shaped version adding a sub output with fancy parts and replaceable op amps. That would be extremely popular as a V3 companion.

Last edited:
I see Fosi has just added the V3 with 48v power supply as a $77 optional add on to its P3 tube buffer preamp ($64) Kickstarter Campaign. So $141 for both, probably shipping sometime in Sept. from China.

I also see Fosi has just released a desktop Headphone Amp/Preamp, the SK01, for $80 or less with coupons or on Ali-Express. Featuring defeatable Bass/Mid/Treble tone controls, gain switch, and loudness contour. EDIT, I guess it is not a DAC.

Functionally the SK01 would be an almost perfect companion to the V3, if they had only made it V3 shaped with RCA pre-outs and inputs.
Perhaps they will release an audiophile V3 shaped version adding a sub output with fancy parts and replaceable op amps. That would be extremely popular as a V3 companion.
I like the look of that P3 and if I was flush would back this little V3 partner on kick starter, looking good Fosi!

Today I've pulled out my old Aiyima A04 amp for my workroom use, still sounds very good and gets barely warm to the touch with the 32v/5a power supply. Using LM4562 op-amps. These amps are hard to find now but were my first Aiyima, prior to getting an A07. I'm not aware of any SQ difference between the 3251 chip in this and the 3255 chip in the others... A good amp for nearfield listening, just like the V3.

Today I've pulled out my old Aiyima A04 amp for my workroom use, still sounds very good and gets barely warm to the touch with the 32v/5a power supply. Using LM4562 op-amps. These amps are hard to find now but were my first Aiyima, prior to getting an A07. I'm not aware of any SQ difference between the 3251 chip in this and the 3255 chip in the others... A good amp for nearfield listening, just like the V3.
Yep, great little amp the A04!

I still own this 3251 amp. Surprisingly, it sounded much better than my 2 units of Aiyima 07 amps in my set up. That's why, I still keep it while I have sold off 2 units of 07 amps.

Aiyima now has the A04 Pro which supports a 36v power supply…

@Fosi Audio I read on thread for your new "tube P3 preamp" that you are going to update the V3 to have the preamp out adjusted according to the volume. Do you know when that will be part of the "new" V3? I use a subwoofer and that is a requirement for me. I am waiting for this issue to be resolve before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

I still own this 3251 amp. Surprisingly, it sounded much better than my 2 units of Aiyima 07 amps in my set up. That's why, I still keep it while I have sold off 2 units of 07 amps.
Just bought the "updated" one, if for no other reason this discussion and to hear a 3251 amp.

Look forward to your opinions.
I'll be trying it out with a new to me, very early production pair of Polk RTA 12's, which I've been using with both a McIntosh MC2120 and Fosi TB10D. Have actually preferred the Fosi with them, although they sound pretty terrific with both amps. 4 ohms and they like power, although pretty easy to drive. Anyway, by the time the Ayima arrives later today I'll be pretty familiar with the speakers.

This will be my first Ayima and first 3251 amp(never even knew such a thing existed until a couple days ago) so that in itself will be fun for me.

Back
Top Bottom