• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 amplifier requirements and subwoofer pairing

etherealsound

Hello, I'm currently looking to purchase a pair of Revel M105 but want to make sure that my current amplification is sufficient as I'd rather not have to get a whole new amplifier for my new speakers. My current amplifier is the Linn Classik Movie 05 and it is supposedly rated for 75W RMS into 4ohms. Is this supposed to be sufficient for the M105 in a nearish-field setup? (5 feet distance from each speaker). Also open to any suggestions for a subwoofer pairing (currently considering the SVS SB1000pro or the RSL Speedwoofer).

Thank you!

Beave

Major Contributor
The Revel M105 was measured by Amir here (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/revel-m105-bookshelf-speaker-review.14745/ ).

The sensitivity is around 85dB/2.83V/1meter. Impedance is a little demanding with phase angles beyond -50 degrees at 40Hz and again around 100Hz. How your amp handles that is unknown. It's probably no issue at all in a semi-nearfield listening environment with modest levels.

As for the subwoofer, you should choose that based not on the speakers but on your room volume and how deep and loud you want the bass to be able to perform. The main thing will be properly integrating the sub with the speakers. How do you plan to do that? I don't know much about that Linn product. I see that it has a subwoofer output, but does it have any bass management capabilities (selectable lowpass filter for the sub output and highpass filter for the main speakers)?

Last edited:
OP
E

etherealsound

I believe that it does have high pass filters though I'm not sure about low pass filters. Can the lowpass filter just be set on the subwoofer itself assuming it has that feature? I don't expect to be cranking the speaker too high so I'm just hoping that it will handle it okay.

Top Bottom