• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite has to be the most overrated interface ever

Pancreas

if not the most over-recommended to all the noobs or anyone who wants to record anything. If I see a red block on your desk, I know you aren't serious or know much about music.

I know cause I had them lol I had Scarlett and Clarett. I had nothing but issues with both, popping everywhere, noisy, not good sound quality, and terrible software.

It has to be the Yamaha HS5 of the interface world.

And the Clarett 4pre is like $600. I returned that and got a Motu mk5 Ultralite, similar price, it sounds way better in every aspect, the sofware is better, everything is superior

Ideally I'd rather have RME fireface ucx 2 but that price stops me

jae

Major Contributor
Yep, motu is the best all-round choice for interfaces.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if not the most over-recommended to all the noobs or anyone who wants to record anything. If I see a red block on your desk, I know you aren't serious or know much about music.

I know cause I had them lol I had Scarlett and Clarett. I had nothing but issues with both, popping everywhere, noisy, not good sound quality, and terrible software.
Can you show measurements which backup this claim?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

You don't need to be a magician. Use REW, run loop back tests with both interfaces and show the results. Here at ASR we value data ...

I can tell you this, whenever I would start my PC, even the $600 focusrite clarett would pop loudly, the Motu doesn't pop like that

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

It has to be the Yamaha HS5 of the interface world.

And the Clarett 4pre is like $600. I returned that and got a Motu mk5 Ultralite, similar price, it sounds way better in every aspect, the sofware is better, everything is superior

Ideally I'd rather have RME fireface ucx 2 but that price stops me

It appears you were unserious or did not know much about music for a while, having "outgrown" a Scarlett Solo:

I used a Scarlett 6i6 and a Clarett 4Pre for years with excellent results, never having the problems you describe. Any chance you were suffering user error?

I do prefer MOTU kit in the lower price bracket. I use RME when I can, as it is superior to both in all respects.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
The value of data.

A few years ago I tested a Clarett 4Pre (Cursor at 1 KHz, not shown. 512K SS, BH7 window.):

It:

c4pre1.png

just:

c4pre2.png

could:

c4pre3.png

not:

c4pre4.png

complete:

c4pre5.png

a:

c4pre6.png

stepped sine test in REW without a dropout—which are the spikes you see in the graphs.

I tried cables. I tried sample rates. I tried different computers—both Mac and Win.

Nothing worked.

I was seriously disappoint.

After four days of dicking around with it, I returned it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know of the complaints. I've had Focusrite Forte and Scarlett 18i20. Neither have given any trouble ever with several versions of Windows on a few computers nor with a Macbook Pro I have. For a long time I considered them a safe suggestion for lower priced interfaces. I'd consider the Motu a better deal now, and maybe an Audient, but guess what? I know of more people with Windows issues with those than Focusrites. My 18i20 is a 1st gen, maybe you are better to stick with those. It still works even on Windows 11. I sold the Forte to a forum member who to my knowledge has not had any problems with it.

Maybe try an Arturia, but I don't know anyone with one.

Last edited:
I think for many users of such products, reliability, stability, lack of glitches, and ease of use are more important than small measurement differences. It seems Motu has improved in this regard. I used a Focusrite Saffire LE for years and it was great. That was firewire, I miss firewire...... I used a Steinberg (Yamaha) UR44 for a few years and it was *rock solid* but I guarantee you it wouldn't pass the measurement tests here. That being said, I like my Motu interface a lot.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I know because I've had them all too, and I've NEVER had noise or popping issues.

Are you joking with those post or what? Maybe it's user error on your part?

I plug my shit in and it just works.

*EDIT*

I have a Scarlett 2i2, and I recently bought the 2nd gen of the Clarett+ 8 Pre and they function flawlessly.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The drivers seem pretty crap to me. My 2i2 Gen1 was prone to BSODing my PC.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My 2i2 Gen1 was prone to BSODing my PC.

I had that same issue (2i2v2) early on, until I discovered the USB cable was making poor contact in the type B socket on the rear. A little contact cleaner and it's been flawless for several years since.

Here:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had that same issue (2i2v2) early on, until I discovered the USB cable was making poor contact in the type B socket on the rear. A little contact cleaner and it's been flawless for several years since.

Here:

Yeah, that's probably the same root cause. The last one I remember was when I bumped the cable...but USB devices are supposed to be hot-plug. If the driver can't handle it, that's the driver's fault.

It's not like pulling a PCIe card out of a running machine or something.

Top Bottom