• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal speakers vs active monitors

mrmojo

I went to a shop and really liked listening to the focal shape 40. Up to that point I hadn't even heard of focal before, but I really like the way the shape 40 sounds. However, the shape 40 is an active monitor and as far as I'm aware is really meant for music production, rather than listening. Should I bother looking sat the focal speakers (rather than monitors) and maybe get a focal speaker instead? I am not a music producer/mixed - just want to enjoy my tunes.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
Music is just music - nothing different for pro Vs home.
Typically, studio monitors have a flat frequency response whereas some home speakers add 'colour' by boosting bass or HF to make them sound 'nice'.
However, that boost is a flaw in speaker design and it's what we use EQ for to fix it!
Neutral (flat) speakers plus EQ for your listening position will give you the best sound (best music) - doesn't matter if that's active or passive.
The distinction is artificial, don't worry about it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A good speaker is a good speaker, I would check the measurements of each if they are available before actual purchase.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Closest I could find:

Not bad, but not sure how comparable it is to the 40.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference between pro gear and home gear is the difference of utility versus fashion. If you want function, then choose pro gear. If you want appearance, fancy veneers, structured style and status points, then choose home gear.

Jim
Yeah, pro stuff lacks WAF. Sometimes rather spectacularly.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Another gotcha is that you generally want to feed these via the balanced input to avoid issues with ground loops (less of an issue that it used to be, now that consumer DACs with balanced outputs are quite readily available), plus Focals tend not to sport any kind of input gain adjustment, so either the output noise of your source is low enough or you're screwed.

User reviews for the Shape 40 indicate a good, almost too pleasant sound, so they may be just the right thing here. Obviously a 4" will be something for the desktop more so than the entire living room. Its competition would be the likes of KRK V4S4, ADAM A4V, Genelec 8020D or Neumann KH 80.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Higher end Focal monitors have a better significant other factor.

1674238723131.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah sometimes it looks to be on purpose. I think the designers operate from a different perspective. An "upside down" and the key word here is WRF -Wife Repellent Factor.
Probably trying to make it look like it can be dragged down the road by its power cord and still work just fine. Which sometimes is close to reality ;)

D

Deleted member 48726

Probably trying to make it look like it can be dragged down the road by its power cord and still work just fine. Which sometimes is close to reality ;)
Of course. I wouldn't expect it to be any other way. When I see how some pro amplifiers look and still work after years of gigging I can't help being impressed. They are built like tools because they are.

sambol

I have Focal Shape 40 as compact desktop speakers and I am very satisfied. The sound is very pleasant, they do not go deep (which is to be expected considering the size). I previously had PreSonus Eris E4.5, the Focals are a nice upgrade over them.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
I went to a shop and really liked listening to the focal shape 40. Up to that point I hadn't even heard of focal before, but I really like the way the shape 40 sounds. However, the shape 40 is an active monitor and as far as I'm aware is really meant for music production, rather than listening. Should I bother looking sat the focal speakers (rather than monitors) and maybe get a focal speaker instead? I am not a music producer/mixed - just want to enjoy my tunes.
I guess one thing to watch for in active monitors is maximum SPL (“volume”). They are not designed to play extremely loud. Typically, they are calibrated to play around 86dB. Some models have limiters at 96dB for the tweeter. So if you like listening at extremely high levels, you need to consider going for separates (amp + speakers). But also double your budget.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I may be wrong here, but sadly, Focal's active professionally inclined models aren't usually available from domestic audio dealers, which tend to push the more profitable? passive ranges costing rather a lot more. Said passive models tend to have a touch more 'flavour' depending on the model range (Dynaudio do this too with their multiple model ranges all having a slightly different 'tone' I recall). There's also the UK based sister company making very expensive streaming and amplifier 'solutions' to make up a system under the same broad umbrella.

Got to say the Focal actives as a breed do look quite good even with grilles off and these little 'Shape' models can hopefully find their way to Amir or Erin before too long in the hope the drivers on the side don't screw with what's coming out of the front... I'm sure they'll be fine for a simple system for a smaller room or desktop situation.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed to active monitors in 2004 and never looked back. They are perfect speakers also for our homes insofar as listening to the same kind of speaker as the pros mixing and mastering the music breaks the circle of confusion as defined by @Floyd Toole.

Any way as has been written above, a good speaker is a good speaker and should not deviate from flat on-axis and smooth off-axis frequency response - these are the most important parameters and usually good studio monitors fulfill these requirements. Then choose the proper model according to your needs (listening distance, max SPL).

ozzy9832001

Active monitors are great when you just want to setup and go or you maybe using multiple devices in multiple rooms. I have a cheap pair of Kanto 4's that I switch between bedroom and den all the time for my ps4. Great too when entertaining and you want some music outside and you just want to use a quick BT solution.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Active monitors are great when you just want to setup and go or you maybe using multiple devices in multiple rooms.
That depends on size and weight. You won't do this with a Neumann KH420.

Top Bottom