• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

parimento1

Eeh, not really my cup of tea. I do know what you mean when you describe the feelings of arousal.
I get those too.

I especially like acoustic guitars on my Clear. They sound so real as if my dad would sit in front of me any play his guitar.

Yes, I listened to these at CanJam two years ago and fell in love. They make the music sound real! I have never heard a headphone even come close, since. Even the Utopia does not sound as good.

Bibo

They make the music sound real! I have never heard a headphone even come close, since.
This is exactly what made me buy them almost exactly 3 years ago. I have been happy ever since. I was really surprised, that the Clears amirm measured, performed so badly. So I just tried to force my pair into clipping, I did not succed. They are sounding great at volume levels, that could make my head explode after a few seconds.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is exactly what made me buy them almost exactly 3 years ago. I have been happy ever since. I was really surprised, that the Clears amirm measured, performed so badly. So I just tried to force my pair into clipping, I did not succed. They are sounding great at volume levels, that could make my head explode after a few seconds.
Same here. But I've owned like 7 clears and some of the earlier models did clip. I think it's an issue that's been worked out with newer models though (the newer batched one I have dont have the issue). I really wanted to try to get headphones.com or focal themselves to send in a pair that they know isn't defective but I haven't gotten a return from focal yet and I haven't reached out to headphones.com because I don't have as good as communication with the owner that I used to.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Focal probably doesn't want to have to 'recall' a lot of very expensive headphones.
It isn't just the Clear that is 'afflicted' with mechanically 'clipping' drivers.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Focal probably doesn't want to have to 'recall' a lot of very expensive headphones.
It isn't just the Clear that is 'afflicted' with mechanically 'clipping' drivers.
Anecdote but friends and I have purchased many elegia and clears and the clears in the early stages seemed to be more affected. Even when an elegia did distort it was like normal distortion, not some weird crackling like the old clear did.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Eligia is a fairly new product with lessons learned from the path.
Elear, Utopia etc. also seem to be able to clip nasty.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Yeah, ive never tried or heard them before. I really hope that the kinks have been worked out because i seriously love their headphones.

That's why i really want to get a newer second pair to amir. Whatever company that would do it would get great PR. Especially if their warranty to cover the defects if there are any are made aware to the consumer.

parimento1

Never had any clipping even at uncomfortable volumes and even during drum solos. I have never used EQ for bass though. Maybe bass boost will exceed design parameters and lead to clipping?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never had any clipping even at uncomfortable volumes and even during drum solos. I have never used EQ for bass though. Maybe bass boost will exceed design parameters and lead to clipping?

Yes, if they will clip it will be high volume with a good few dB bass boost

deafenears

Forum Donor
Leaks online of a Clear replacement, "Clear Mg". Maybe Focal has addressed the issues with the drivers bottoming out?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Leaks online of a Clear replacement, "Clear Mg". Maybe Focal has addressed the issues with the drivers bottoming out?
Damn, now I have to decide to try the new clear mg or the celestee... I love my clears so much that maybe I shouldn't fall into the upgraditis (mine doesn't clip).

Bibo

I bought the pair I was able to audit. And it is an early production model. I went to the local shop after I read Tylls review, threw my music at them and put the 1500 Euros on the counter. They sound great at low levels and they do not hurt me at high volume. They keep their tonality over the full bandwith. All my other headphones AND speakers have some albums that they fail on. Not so the Cleras. I never used any other open back headphones again, the Clears are my daily drivers, my endgame headphones. I even left all the audio related messgage boards (sbaf, asr, head-fi) since i got them.
I just came back beacause the Elegias were on sale and I was once the fence for closed back endgame headphones. (Got hem too, I am very happy)

Long things short: My Clears do not have any issues (besides the visually degrading and very expensively to replace earpads) and they were worth every Cent.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I bought the pair I was able to audit. And it is an early production model. I went to the local shop after I read Tylls review, threw my music at them and put the 1500 Euros on the counter. They sound great at low levels and they do not hurt me at high volume. They keep their tonality over the full bandwith. All my other headphones AND speakers have some albums that they fail on. Not so the Cleras. I never used any other open back headphones again, the Clears are my daily drivers, my endgame headphones. I even left all the audio related messgage boards (sbaf, asr, head-fi) since i got them.
I just came back beacause the Elegias were on sale and I was once the fence for closed back endgame headphones. (Got hem too, I am very happy)

Long things short: My Clears do not have any issues (besides the visually degrading and very expensively to replace earpads) and they were worth every Cent.
sbaf dumbest site I read all year

Aerith Gainsborough

Here is one my speaker killer tracks that sends the Focal Clear into a ditch: Pascal Gaigne - Un espejo en el cielo (From "Kamandú, un espejo en el cielo")

It does this with no EQ and with youtube clip:

Deep bass starts at 2:45 (none before that time) and it easily causes crackles at volume level of -18 dB on RME ADI-2 DAC headphone out (1/4 inch - high gain).
Since I now have the ADI too:
My Clear Professional starts hitting Xmax when I venture beyond -21dB (high gain, no EQ).
I used the YouTube version above.

Dear God that is loud. I usually listen at -26dB in friggin low gain mode. *pokes ringing ears*

So there is some unit to unit variance there and mine is apparently 3dB more sensitive (right channel only) than your test exemplar.

Edit: derped on the YT volume

Bibo

Since I now have the ADI too:
My Clear Professional starts hitting Xmax when I venture beyond -21dB (high gain, no EQ).
I used the YouTube version above.

Dear God that is loud. I usually listen at -26dB in friggin low gain mode. *pokes ringing ears*

So there is some unit to unit variance there and mine is apparently 3dB more sensitive (right channel only) than your test exemplar.

Edit: derped on the YT volume

Finally this made the left driver of my Clears hit Xmax too, just before my eardrums would hit my brain. (>50% volume on Fiio K5, high gain, 100% volume on PC)
My normal settings are: 50% volume on Fiio K5, low gain, <80 % on PC.
Well, this should not happen with headphones in this price range. It does not really affect me but is a bit disapointing, though.

Aerith Gainsborough

Well, this should not happen with headphones in this price range. It does not really affect me but is a bit disapointing, though.
To be fair: every transducer can be made to hit Xmax. Even the most powerful subwoofers eventually succumb to low frequency torture if you pump enough electrons through the voice coil.

As long as it doesn't occur at practical listening volumes, the transducer suits your needs. And mine.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair: every transducer can be made to hit Xmax. Even the most powerful subwoofers eventually succumb to low frequency torture if you pump enough electrons through the voice coil.

As long as it doesn't occur at practical listening volumes, the transducer suits your needs. And mine.
As long as it doesn't make too much distortion before that point then I think that's a good way of looking at it.

Bibo

True words. I just tested my Elegias with this song. They do not hit Xmax with everything maxed out. At these volume levels these cans are physically moving on my head. So if I wanted to listen to maxed out bassheavy tracks I have an excellent alternative.

Top Bottom