• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foam in the port

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The foam '' O '' ring does a negative effect apart of lowering the bass output?

qp_all.jpg

BelgianJoey

The foam rings allow for a rudimentary form of bass control. You could use it if the speaker starts “booming“ in your room. This happens when the speaker latches on to a resonant frequency (a “mode”) defined by the dimensions of your room. Alternatives are positioning them closer or further from walls and corners.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The foam rings allow for a rudimentary form of bass control. You could use it if the speaker starts “booming“ in your room. This happens when the speaker latches on to a resonant frequency (a “mode”) defined by the dimensions of your room. Alternatives are positioning them closer or further from walls and corners.
I have a floorstanding in a small room, and sometimes in some songs that do not requires a lot of bass there is too much of bass, with the foam things sounds more under control.

The thing is, i don't know if use the foam or do a negative shelf-filter for some songs..

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Pick a nice bass heavy track. Play it from a predetermined time mark with the plugs in and with removed. Use a Mic and REW to measure the difference or just use your ears and go with what sounds best in your room. As a Basshead I toss these in the box and they go in the garage with the box. They seem to work best there :oops:

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Pick a nice bass heavy track. Play it from a predetermined time mark with the plugs in and with removed. Use a Mic and REW to measure the difference or just use your ears and go with what sounds best in your room. As a Basshead I toss these in the box and they go in the garage with the box. They seem to work best there :oops:
Most of the time sounds fine without the foam, but with some no-bass heavy songs sometimes sounds better with the '' O '' ring, block the port sounds very bad..

I cannot measure again

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a ring mainly reduces the effective diameter of the port and thus changes its tuning frequency to a higher one, in the end measurements and listening must decide which tuning works better in your room and placement.

DBA ndreas

Such a ring mainly reduces the effective diameter of the port and thus changes its tuning frequency to a higher one, in the end measurements and listening must decide which tuning works better in your room and placement.
It lowers the tuning frequency when the length of the port stays the same while the effective diameter is reduced.

Tom C

Major Contributor
seems like the plugs would alter the air flow through the port, and thereby alter the tuning characteristics. Ports can be rather sophisticated in design. Any flare, taper or rounding of the inlet or outlet would be defeated.

Top Bottom