• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flat/transparent amplifier but not speakers/IEMS/headphones

Haider

Hi,

I read a lot about amps should just be wire with gain anything else is a effects box yet the same isn't applied to headphones/speakers/IEMs. Shouldn't they (speakers/headphones/IEMs) replay back the signal without adulteration? Why isn't effect box sneer applied to the Harman target. If you had an amp that amplified the sound into Harman target and speakers/headphones that were flat you would end up at the same place.

Thanks
Haider

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Shouldn't they (speakers/headphones/IEMs) replay back the signal without adulteration?

Maybe should.

Physics/Mechanics/Acoustics gets in the way of that ideal, though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphone/ room targets are an attempt to get to just that , aren't they?
Yes. Headphones are affected by the resonance of the ear canal and pinnae etc, speakers by the nature of room acoustics.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I read a lot about amps should just be wire with gain anything else is a effects box yet the same isn't applied to headphones/speakers/IEMs. Shouldn't they (speakers/headphones/IEMs) replay back the signal without adulteration? Why isn't effect box sneer applied to the Harman target. If you had an amp that amplified the sound into Harman target and speakers/headphones that were flat you would end up at the same place.

Thanks
Haider
If you're asking, could you design the headphone to measure flat, and the amp would EQ for the Harman curve, yes that could work.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Thanks
Haider
As for speakers, a "perfect" speaker will measure flat on-axis in an anechoic chamber. A reflective room causes a general down-slope of response, among other things.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're asking, could you design the headphone to measure flat, and the amp would EQ for the Harman curve, yes that could work.
Must confess, I've never tried but one could take the measured response of a hp and eq it a lot closer to *actual* flat and see how bad it sounds

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Must confess, I've never tried but one could take the measured response of a hp and eq it a lot closer to *actual* flat and see how bad it sounds
Yes, you could. I suspect it will be pretty lackluster.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Hi,

Thanks
Haider

Yeah true. You could arrive at neutral a number of ways. But the reality is that transducers are the trickiest part of the equation...so the sensible thing to do is to get the signal to the speakers without alteration and then look for speakers that have good measured performance so that you know you won't be far off the mark and then adjust with EQ for the room.

The Harmon target is a preferance curve for headphones that has been arrived at after lots of testing and research that works for most people and isn't far off for those that it doesn't exactly work for.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
The Harman curve has a huge peak around 4kHz, as I recall.

hmmm interesting.

I don't really see that when I look at the HC relative to (most of) the headphones measurments ftmp. Doesn't seem like there's any substantial 4khz boost generally...

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
The Harman curve has a huge peak around 4kHz, as I recall.
You are mixing up the Harman Curve for headphones (that has that) and the Harman Curve for speakers in room (that is very different and relative flat, downsloaping towards the treble). More info is found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-find-harmans-house-curve-for-speakers.13912/

For headphones, the curve is adapted to how our hearing works with such a small distance between the speaker and our ear. If you apply that curve to a speaker, it will sound very bad.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are mixing up the Harman Curve for headphones (that has that) and the Harman Curve for speakers in room (that is very different and relative flat, downsloaping towards the treble). More info is found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-find-harmans-house-curve-for-speakers.13912/

For headphones, the curve is adapted to how our hearing works with such a small distance between the speaker and our ear. If you apply that curve to a speaker, it will sound very bad.
Wait...the Harman curve for headphones does not have a big peak?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not peaking my speakers at 4kHz lol

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Wait...the Harman curve for headphones does not have a big peak?

well, it definitely has a visual mountain that centers roughly around 4khz. But most headphones ootb also roughly follow that same curve above about 500hz or so. If you go through the reviews and look at Amir's EQ adjustments to HC the alterations made at the high end are all over the place. There's boosts and cuts but I don't really see anything that looks like a constant 4khz boost. Otoh if you look below say 200hz a bass boost of some sort is almost universally applied...

JiiPee

In theory, the application of specific "curves" in frequency response could be done at any point of the system chain, but in practice, I think the current main stream idea of having flat frequency response throughout the system excluding transducers (speakers, headphones, vinyl cartridges) is maybe the most practical. After all, achieving that goal well enough is today fairly trivial for electronics, but still very challenging for transducers.

Ideally, I would like to see a system capable to end-to-end flat response, and then provide a separate functionality for preferential response tweaking.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Ideally, I would like to see a system capable to end-to-end flat response, and then provide a separate functionality for preferential response tweaking.

I'm not sure what the difference would be. I mean once you introduce the room into the equation, flat is an impossibility...so we're always going to need to make some adjustments. The problem with speakers now is that if they are too poorly "behaved", EQ is harder to accomplish successfully. So if you get speakers that have good anechoic measurements you basically do have end-to-end flat (actually that word flat is problematic - neutral is better) response which you then EQ (either for neutrality or to whatever preference you might have.)

But yes, in a chain that has say 4 potential points of "confusion", if the first 3 of those points can easily be eliminated as such you might as well do that and then deal with the one remaining trouble spot on it's own.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well, it definitely has a visual mountain that centers roughly around 4khz. But most headphones ootb also roughly follow that same curve above about 500hz or so. If you go through the reviews and look at Amir's EQ adjustments to HC the alterations made at the high end are all over the place. There's boosts and cuts but I don't really see anything that looks like a constant 4khz boost. Otoh if you look below say 200hz a bass boost of some sort is almost universally applied...
Ok

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom