• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Crinacle Zero background white noise with apple dongle on pc

Frost_

I recently got a Truthear x Crinacle Zero, and the sound seemed too low. So I got the apple type c to 3.5mm dongle and connected it to my USB-3.1 port via the type c to USB-A converter. The sound volume problem has been resolved, but I can hear a background white noise, which is not much but easily noticeable. It gets almost unnoticeable when I reduce the volume to 70% in any scenario.
I hear the noise:
  • when my Windows system sound is being played
  • When I play specific songs, but harder to notice in other songs or when many instruments are playing simultaneously.
  • When I hover my mouse over the menu in Valorant.
I can't hear it when I am in an actual match in Valorant, and it's a bit harder to notice in films.

I tried the dongle on my phone Samsung galaxy m21. I can still hear the white noise when the volume is at max, but I thought maybe it would work better with the dongle connected to the PC. There is no white noise when I connect my IEM directly to the motherboard 3.5mm port. I tried using different USB ports didnt work. Someone said I should change the sample rate, but it's locked at DVD quality and greyed out, so I can't change the sample rate.

Is my dongle not working properly, or is it normal to hear the white noise at high volume?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try different USB ports to avoid interference. It's the easiest way to minimize or get rid of it. I had the exact same combo last week, and on a good USB port it has a nice, quiet noise floor.

firestart3r

I recently got a Truthear x Crinacle Zero, and the sound seemed too low. So I got the apple type c to 3.5mm dongle and connected it to my USB-3.1 port via the type c to USB-A converter. The sound volume problem has been resolved, but I can hear a background white noise, which is not much but easily noticeable. It gets almost unnoticeable when I reduce the volume to 70% in any scenario.
I hear the noise:
  • when my Windows system sound is being played
  • When I play specific songs, but harder to notice in other songs or when many instruments are playing simultaneously.
  • When I hover my mouse over the menu in Valorant.
I can't hear it when I am in an actual match in Valorant, and it's a bit harder to notice in films.

I tried the dongle on my phone Samsung galaxy m21. I can still hear the white noise when the volume is at max, but I thought maybe it would work better with the dongle connected to the PC. There is no white noise when I connect my IEM directly to the motherboard 3.5mm port. I tried using different USB ports didnt work. Someone said I should change the sample rate, but it's locked at DVD quality and greyed out, so I can't change the sample rate.

Is my dongle not working properly, or is it normal to hear the white noise at high volume?
Your PC is a noisy source to play music on a sensitive device (IEM). Unfortunately, it's normal that you hear noise sometimes.

If you tried all your USB ports and still have the issue, you may have to go with a balanced DAC/amp. It's a bump in price but may be worth it in your case.

This is how the balanced output gets rid of the noise:

BalancedAudio-1024x397.webp

For example, you can try the Moondrop Dawn Pro that has a 4.4mm balanced output (instead of regular 3.5mm).

If you go that route, you'll need a new IEM cable that has a 4.4mm termination. Make sure your new cable is compatible on both ends (IEM + DAC/amp).

I think your Truthear needs the "standard" 2pin 0.78mm. You can search for something like "4.4mm iem cable" on Amazon and probably find something good for around 25$ USD. Do not buy a MMCX cable because your IEM won't fit !

Hope this helps :cool:

EDIT: Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Truthear Zero is a "power hungry" IEM... so having more power using the balanced output is a good thing!

EDIT 2: The Apple USB-C dongle is a great device, but on Android devices has one caveat : it plays a lot quieter with default settings than on iOS devices. The community is getting more and more educated about that fact. There's a workaround with an app you can buy on the Google Store https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dac-headphone-amp.17386/page-32#post-1302123 but personally I find it's too complicated... I would buy another dongle. You probably want the noise rejection that comes with a balanced dac/amp anyway.

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

A low z iem. You'll need an amp to drive that properly.

Balance output amp can produce more voltage, it may or may not produce enough current to drive properly; depending on the amp IC. A balance amp will each drive 5 ohm, most likely you'll see increase in distortion.

firestart3r

A low z iem. You'll need an amp to drive that properly.

Balance output amp can produce more voltage, it may or may not produce enough current to drive properly; depending on the amp IC. A balance amp will each drive 5 ohm, most likely you'll see increase in distortion.
OP has problems with PC noise... I don't understand your "you need an amplifier" suggestion. If he uses the dongle as the DAC + a more powerful amplifier, wouldn't the noise (problem) be amplified?

I personally recommend he tries a balanced DAC/amp. Sure, he could get a TOPPING DX7 Pro+ at 700$ USD but I tried to help him solving his problem with something more affordable than that.

jasonhanjk

Yes. You're right. A new DAC will solve his problem.

By the way, balance amp will have increase noise by √2 compare to unbalance.

firestart3r

Any news Frost_ ?

Maybe this could help

If that doesn't work, maybe converting the USB signal to optical could ?

Ex: PC --> Topping D10S ----> Topping DX3 PRO+

Last edited:

firestart3r

Any news?

I think the safest best is to use balanced outputs of a DAC and balanced inputs for the amplifier...

Ex: Topping D10 ----TRS cables----> Topping L50
140$+170$

That way you have common noise rejection.

Top Bottom