• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First Home-hifi

TimW

Major Contributor
I found a site (sweetwater.com) which is doing a 0apr for almost no money for 48 months. Found the Kali Audio IN-5. any one got a good idea of a amp/dac that I could pull from this site so i can use that 0apr to its fullest?
I have purchased through Sweetwater a few times and have nothing but good things to say.

Your room is larger in size and your listening distance should help determine which speaker models you should consider. The IN-5 has lower midrange distortion but the LP series is just about as good for less money.
found the Behringer A800, just need a dac now
So you already bought this?

OP
H

houjous

Erin's Audio Corner does measurements of speakers using the same Klippel system as Amir and also does YouTube videos if that's your style. Here is a video comparison of the Kali LP-6 and LP-8. Both models have excellent performance for the price and it makes passive speakers in the same price range less appealing.

The Klipsch RP-8000F was measured on Audioholics and it actually looks pretty decent.
That is a medium to large-ish room. Small powered speakers would likely be a mistake as I get the impression you are looking to rawk out. The Klipsch speakers would be a good fit is this case. A side benefit is that Klipsch speakers are pretty easy to sell in the secondary market if you want something better in the future. I bought and sold several Klipsch models on the used market and always made money doing it. It's a handy way to support your hobby.

at 70 buck 0 arp that's def in my wheel house. I'm glad I could get some positive feedback about the Klipsch !

OP
H

houjous

I have purchased through Sweetwater a few times and have nothing but good things to say.

Your room is larger in size and your listening distance should help determine which speaker models you should consider. The IN-5 has lower midrange distortion but the LP series is just about as good for less money.

So you already bought this?
nothing bought so far. Just making lists of possibilities. I couldnt find the Behringer A800 till just then.

TimW

Major Contributor
at 70 buck 0 arp that's def in my wheel house. I'm glad I could get some positive feedback about the Klipsch !
I like how you jumped from a $500 all in budget to considering $1660 just for the speakers. Debt sucks, don't put yourself into it unnecessarily.

For your audio system you should really determine what you need from it before investing in components. For instance:
  • What will be your listening distance?
    • Is the room full of soft absorbent surfaces or hard reflective ones?
  • What inputs do you need?
    • TV? Video games?
    • CDs, records, tapes?
    • PC?
  • How loud do you intend to listen?

DanielT

Major Contributor
found the Behringer A800, just need a dac now
You seem to be a power guy, a lot of power, bold big speakers, Rock / alt-rock / metal. Is it true? Do you like to play at high volume?

It will be a little easier to tip you if we know what you like.:)

Edit:
I now saw that TimW had the same question:
How loud do you intend to listen?

Question:
Ignore the cost. Is this something you would like in your listening room? Speakers with dual 18 "speaker elements in each speaker

909nr2fd1xp4dljn36zed3um (1).jpeg

Or small speakers that measure very nicely? Smoother frequency curve, less distortions but you can not play so loud with them compared to the above

Edit 2
So the size of your room now. Hm those fat ones with 18 "in such a room, well..It's probably overkill.

Attachments

• 1051507_8320amp_monitorbundle.jpg
    1051507_8320amp_monitorbundle.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You seem to be a power guy, a lot of power, bold big speakers, Rock / alt-rock / metal. Is it true? Do you like to play at high volume?

Edit:

Question:
Ignore the cost. Is this something you would like in your listening room? Speakers with dual 18 "speaker elements in each speaker

View attachment 171574
Those speakers are redonkulus! But, I like the look of raw unbridled power. The only issue I see is the listening position is way too close to turn those speakers up. They look like taking the volume knob to 11 would be fun!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I do want to say that if you are going to play loud, any speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90db/m would do the job. Klipsch, which I owned for the decade of the 90's will put out gobs of sound in a big room. But, you will need a big sub to really bring in the boom, ah, I mean bass. You are on the road to making serious sound. Don't hurt your hearing!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Those speakers are redonkulus! But, I like the look of raw unbridled power. The only issue I see is the listening position is way too close to turn those speakers up. They look like taking the volume knob to 11 would be fun!
He he,:)

These are not my speakers. I could easily imagine a couple of these big fat boys if it were not for:

OP
H

houjous

I like how you jumped from a $500 all in budget to considering $1660 just for the speakers. Debt sucks, don't put yourself into it unnecessarily.

For your audio system you should really determine what you need from it before investing in components. For instance:
  • What will be your listening distance?
    • Is the room full of soft absorbent surfaces or hard reflective ones?
  • What inputs do you need?
    • TV? Video games?
    • CDs, records, tapes?
    • PC?
  • How loud do you intend to listen?
Ya my budget jumped because lots of these sites are giving 0arp and like charging 20-30 dollars for 48 months. If I can pay 150 a month and get 3-4grand worth of equipment i would be ridiculous not to

OP
H

houjous

Edit:

Question:

View attachment 171574

Or small speakers that measure very nicely? Smoother frequency curve, less distortions but you can not play so loud with them compared to the above

Edit 2
So the size of your room now. Hm those fat ones with 18 "in such a room, well..It's probably overkill.
I thought I did say but I go from alt rock to rock to metal and maybe some rap if it has the right beat. that's really the scope of my listening haha. also I would love to die in that room.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I thought I did say but I go from alt rock to rock to metal and maybe some rap if it has the right beat. that's really the scope of my listening haha. also I would love to die in that room.
Hm, have you looked around for, for example, some used JBL, Altec Lasing, Cerwin Wega. Model older, 12-15 "drivers. Pretty high sensitivity. ... Hmm ..However, some of the big old vintage speakers can be quite expensive.

I throw out some ideas for you to think about and then others may be able to come up with further tips.:)

Although if I start from your budget, it is probably not so stupid with, for example, with active speakers (model larger) as mentioned in the thread. Then you can build on with sub if you think it is needed.My guess is that you will want some sub.

Active speakers are often a good choice regardless of the thickness of the wallet, by the way.:)

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-10_23-56-36.png
    shot_2021-12-10_23-56-36.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • shot_2021-12-10_23-58-42.png
    shot_2021-12-10_23-58-42.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
@Webninja thanks that helped a ton!

so the room is around 9ft(height),14ft (width), 25ft(depth) but the left width wall is semi-open to the next room. I'm getting a room divider eventually to close it off mostly.

305s? are these what your talking about? https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-Next-Generation-Powered-305PMKII/dp/B077N2GQXC?th=1
That’s a large room in my book. I withdraw my suggestion on the powered monitors unless this will just be background music.

Maybe those towers are a better bet. Hopefully some good deals for the holidays, but recently I feel everything is getting more expensive.

OP
H

houjous

That’s a large room in my book. I withdraw my suggestion on the powered monitors unless this will just be background music.

Maybe those towers are a better bet. Hopefully some good deals for the holidays, but recently I feel everything is getting more expensive.
I appreciate the suggestion none the less. I was figuring the room was on the smaller size just because I've seen like 600 square feet audio rooms. https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-8000f-floorstanding-speaker was suggested and at 69 dollars a month (nice) it seems do-able. As for Dac/Amp I may go DYI and get a Pi +hats with good cables. that way I can start with a streamer and then add another hat to get high quality input to get external players going.

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
The Klipsch RP-8000F were on sale at Crutchfield for $621.75 each on black Friday. When the JBL Studio 590's are on sale for $450-500 they would be my choice.

OP
H

houjous

Going through recommendations found through this Q&A and skimming through here I'm looking at the Peachtree amp500 $1,499.00 or 70usd/month @0apr and the Klipsch RP-8000F $830 or 70usd/month @0apr. I haven't found the right DAC yet but I'm leaning to https://www.inno-maker.com/product/skylarkii-dac5122bt/ at 80usd which promotes ample rates up to 384-KHz/32-Bit. At 80 bucks I can use it as a streamer till I can upgrade to a good all-rounder in the future. 140usd/month+80usd is 100% do-able.

edit: the DYI Raspberry Pi DAC is still on the table just a bit more than this Skylarkii dac. at ~130-190usd the Raspberry pie is a next upgrade I think

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Going through recommendations found through this Q&A and skimming through here I'm looking at the Peachtree amp500 $1,499.00 or 70usd/month @0apr and the Klipsch RP-8000F $830 or 70usd/month @0apr. I haven't found the right DAC yet but I'm leaning to https://www.inno-maker.com/product/skylarkii-dac5122bt/ at 80usd which promotes ample rates up to 384-KHz/32-Bit. At 80 bucks I can use it as a streamer till I can upgrade to a good all-rounder in the future. 140usd/month+80usd is 100% do-able.

edit: the DYI Raspberry Pi DAC is still on the table just a bit more than this Skylarkii dac. at ~130-190usd the Raspberry pie is a next upgrade I think
Do you have the opportunity to listen to some Klipsch RP-8000F before you buy them? At any hifi dealer where you can also compare with other speakers? For many, Klipsch is a water divider. Some love them others think they have too sharp a treble. In what category you belong to, well. Who knows.

What else have you heard about the brand / model speaker? Which ones did you like? Which ones did you not like? You know if you like brand / model X, it is possible that you like, or do not like the Klipsch RP-8000F. In any case, it gives an indication.

Just to show how different it can be. Last year I bought a couple of used ones:

FOCAL-JMLAB ELECTRA 905

In the reviews they write:

The bass is tight and well controlled, driving on with a measure of power and authority rare in a stand-mount, if a little constrained in air and freedom, and inevitably lacking in bottom octave weight. And if the treble is slightly obvious, it's also notably sweet and clean.

I really disliked them, lack of bass (I tested with different amplifiers). Treble sweet and clean. Nop in my ears too much, too intrusive.
Sold them. The buyer was extremely pleased and thought that they sounded so much better than the Dali 850 he had. Incidentally, a Dali model I heard that I think sounds much better than 905. So it can be.

Conclusion. Listen and test yourself.:)

Edit:
By the way, when I think about it. The Dali 850 might be for you. If you can imagine buying used. They like effect so Behringer A800 suits them well.

There are many fun speakers to choose from.:)
In addition, if there is only the potential in the speakers (low distortion), you can always sharpen / straighten the frequency curve later using EQ.
Something I might have done with those Focal 905, but I did not think of that then.
Incidentally EQ is something that is more the rule than the exception to do with the subwoffer (regardless of price / size)

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I was going to bring up Cerwin Vega but I think they are too expensive for your budget. With enough power they will fill a large room. 200 watts/channel should do it. But, your ears will pay! :)

OP
H

houjous

@DanielT I liked the RP-8000k just through what reviewers are saying. I really don't have access to test equipment...the closest audio store is bestbuys 45minutes away. I was essentially sold on it because of the price 70usd/month 0apr. Everyone says it's a well respected brand that won't drop on the secondary market if I absolutely can't get use to the sound signature.

as for the Behringer A800 that got tossed in there because I started off with what was claimed as a 300x2wattage system and the Behringer can actually do what the A08 claims to do. I'm coming to the conclusion that its probably overkill with my current build/upgrade path.
TL;DR: im sold on the RP-8000k based on the 70/m 0apr and the decent reviews. Still looking for better ideas but that 0apr is just looking to pretty. and the A800 was a misunderstanding on my part.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
@DanielT I liked the RP-8000k just through what reviewers are saying. I really don't have access to test equipment...the closest audio store is bestbuys 45minutes away. I was essentially sold on it because of the price 70usd/month 0apr. Everyone says it's a well respected brand that won't drop on the secondary market if I absolutely can't get use to the sound signature.

as for the Behringer A800 that got tossed in there because I started off with what was claimed as a 300x2wattage system and the Behringer can actually do what the A08 claims to do. I'm coming to the conclusion that its probably overkill with my current build/upgrade path.
TL;DR: im sold on the RP-8000k based on the 70/m 0apr and the decent reviews. Still looking for better ideas but that 0apr is just looking to pretty. and the A800 was a misunderstanding on my part.
If you can do an EQing with your new setup you will be all set up. If you think the Klipsch are too bright on the top end just EQ it down to where you like it.

Zek

Major Contributor
I started off with what was claimed as a 300x2wattage system and the Behringer can actually do what the A08 claims to do.
You're looking at the wrong data. Here are the actual measurements for the Behringer A8000: Max 240W / 4 Ohm and 140W / 8 Ohm
Aiyima A08 cannot reach that value even at the greatest distortion.

Top Bottom