• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First "adult" Music System

Spacemaker

Hello Everyone,

I recently found this site and have been reading it quite a bit and am I new member. There is a lot of information here! Some I understand, or at least I think I do, and some I don't. I am enjoying the learning. I am in high school, and reading some posts has helped me understand more of the science behind sound and audio. I have a few questions. In a week or so, I will receive the equipment below from one of my relatives and wondering if these are compatible. They have been used but just barely I think. Would they make a decent system together? The only component I will need to purchase is the streamer. I stream 90% of the music I listen to. This system will be my first "adult" audio system. I have read some reviews and recommendations on ASR and other sites, so I think these are ok, but I would enjoy reading what the ASR community thinks. Do these components work together in a good way (or mostly a good way), and does it make sense as a first system (to be expanded or revised as I learn more)? If this is not the forum to ask this in, I apologize, and please let me know where to post it. Thank you for reading my long post and for any reply or observation! I hope it is clear.

The room size is 24' x 20' with 10' ceiling. Wood laminate floor with a couple of large rugs. One of the corners has a large window on each side and is, unfortunately, where I will need to place the speakers. (Because of the room situation, furniture placement, and the fact that I live with my parents, I don't have a choice but to put them in front of one of the windows)

Will be receiving:
Speakers, Elac Debut Reference DBR62
DAC, Topping E70
Amp, Topping PA5

Streamer: need to choose and purchase either (I cannot spend more than $700 so one of these might be best in my price range)? Or is there another I should consider? I stream from Qobuz and Tidal mostly but I do have a lot of music in my Apple Music library.
WiiM Pro
Bluesound Node (the Node, not the Node2i, I think)

Questions:
1) Are the DAC and Amp compatible? Do they need to be the same series? E with E, P with P?

2) Would the DAC and Amp be good for the Elac's? I don't crank my music up too loud (I live in an apartment with my parents), but the volume isn't kept at a whisper either.

3) Should I sell or trade the DAC or Amp for something else? (I want to keep the Elac's)

4) I would also like to have my iPad connected to an ethernet port and not used wirelessly. I think this is possible. Would this create any issues?

Maginness

That system pairs well. Personally I would set it up, fiddle with placement, and enjoy it.

You can connect your iPad via USB to the DAC.

WiiM Pro is a great way to go wireless. I use one with my set up and Apple devices.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Spacemaker ! FYI I slightly revised the Thread Title by adding the word “Music”. My reasons are two fold. Firstly; the original Title could be slightly misinterpreted, and secondly; to make it more informative to our readers and hopefully get more traction with responses to your questions.

Have a pleasant weekend!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a great starter system, it will be a long time before you need to make any changes.
WiiM Pro (or mini) would be a good addition for your streamer - no need for Bluesound.

If you add a WiiM then you don't need to connect your iPad to the system at all - the WiiM connects to your streaming service directly and your iPad (or phone) is just a remote.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
99% of "sound quality" is speakers or headphones (and with speakers, room acoustics).

As a generalization, "all electronics sound the same and every speaker/headphone sounds different". Of course there is amplifier power, and EQ can make a difference (or used for speaker/room/headroom frequency response correction).

With headphones there is almost no correlation between cost and sound quality (as you can see by sorting the reviews here by "recommended"). With speakers, it does cost more to make a good speaker and bass requires a big woofer in a big box. (You may not want "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body in your parent's house. :) )

Usually the only audible "defect" or "weakness" in electronics is noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). That's assuming nothing is broken and no glitches in streamed audio, etc.

This site and HydrogenAudio are reliable but most of the "audiophile" community, websites, and publications are nuts! :) There is even some nonsense in the pro audio world but at least they don't go-crazy for expensive cables and that kind of stuff.

See Audiophoolery.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Starter? Add a subwoofer or two and call it the end game.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just add UMIK-1 measurement microphone and you are good to go. This is most useful when you have set everything up and might feel that something is wrong, as the alternative is to start pondering about changing the speakers and being generally unhappy about things.

Of course measurements can be used even when you are happy about your system, but I advise against it. That might get very expensive.

OP
S

Spacemaker

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the replies and advice. After reading quite a bit on ASW and elsewhere, I'm going to go with the Wiim Pro. Overall, it seems like the more optimal streamer, for me. And the price is right ;)
"AdamG247: FYI I slightly revised the Thread Title by adding the word “Music”."
Thank you. Appreciate the clarification.

"DVDdoug: (You may not want "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body in your parent's house. :)"
Actually, I would love that! But you're right, my parent's probably would not. Haha

"bodhi: Just add UMIK-1 measurement microphone and you are good to go."
Thanks for the suggestion! I think that would be very helpful/useful for my audio/music education

Thank you all again! Everything is on track to arrive next Tuesday. I'm very excited!

Top Bottom