• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FedEx Damaged My Sub in Transit and Denied My Claim

Dustyc

Nearly 20 years ago I had an Adcom GFA-585 amplifier damaged by UPS when being shipped back to Adcom for repair. Here is the story:

This was the second repair of the amp (I used to never turn it off to keep it at operating temp, which is not good for long term durability, and I have learned that really it is not required for good fidelity). After the first repair, Adcom shipped the amp back without the standard foam protection, but instead used a type of foam inside two bags, one upper and one lower, that form fitted around the amp.

So, the second time I sent the amplifier back to Adcom, I used the same box and foam Adcom used when they sent the amp back after the first repair. When Adcom received the amp they called me and said that during shipping it was damaged beyond repair, with one corner caved in. So, I filed a claim with UPS.

UPS investigated and Adcom told them that I did not ship the amplifier back in the standard packaging, and UPS denied the claim. First, I called Adcom to ask WTF? The girl I spoke with refused to acknowledge that Adcom shipped the amplifier back to me after the first repair with the non-standard foam packaging, insisting that Adcom never would do that and insinuating that I was lying about it. That really pissed me off.

Next I called UPS, explained the situation, but they still refused the claim. I was persistent, with multiple calls and speaking with a supervisor. Eventually UPS agreed to pay something like $500 toward the claim. I then called Adcom back and asked for a new amplifier for that price. They no longer had stock of the GFA-585, but offered the GFA-5802 at a discounted price, $800 if I remember correctly.

I took both offers, the net result being an upgrade from the GFA-585 to a new GFA-5802 for something like $300. Repairing the GFA-585 would have cost north of $100, so the realistic amount of the upgrade was even less.

Side note: The GFA-585 required two repairs over a span of about 12 years but, again, I used to never turn it off. I now only turn on the GFA-5802 when I am listening to it, and it has been going strong for nearly 20 years.
"Keep it powered up for best sound" ranks right up there with "sounded better after break in" as the 2 biggest BS statements from the "high end priests".
I pack items like the computer guys do. Plenty of space in a large package with standoffs to absorb the blows.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
And if you feel like you are not adequately paid for your job, then you work hard to upskill and find a better paying job, all the meanwhile you do the job that you are paid to do. Remember that is the beauty of capitalism, it works both ways.
Well I realize its a different company, but Isn't the average salary for a UPS driver with bennies >$170k a year in the US as of their last contract. I could manage to not drop stuff for that kind of living wage. https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/09/ups...00-in-pay-benefits-at-end-of-5-year-deal.html
FedEx also pooped the bed this last quarter.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FedEx also pooped the bed this last quarter.
It is a company resting on long since withered laurels.

Primarily due to an 'It's our way or the highway' approach to business customers. The customers are choosing the highway.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
"Keep it powered up for best sound" ranks right up there with "sounded better after break in" as the 2 biggest BS statements from the "high end priests".
I pack items like the computer guys do. Plenty of space in a large package with standoffs to absorb the blows.
Better yet, the B.S. that capacitors and inductors need break-in. :p

Beave

Major Contributor
It was a Martin Logan Abyss, so medium size about 15’X15’X14’. Somehow insurance is not offered when I created the label.

WOW, that is one HUGE subwoofer. If FedEx dropped it, I think we all would have felt the resulting earthquake. ;)

Reactions: GDK

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WOW, that is one HUGE subwoofer. If FedEx dropped it, I think we all would have felt the resulting earthquake. ;)
The volume weight charge for a package that size would be pretty scary! :)

Top Bottom