• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FedEx Damaged My Sub in Transit and Denied My Claim

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had CD players bought on eBay delivered in single box with just a handful of polystyrene chunks thrown in, presumably to invoke the blessing of the shipping gods rather than to actually protect the item. Surprisingly little damage both times.

Back when I could be bothered to sell equipment I would mummify in bubble wrap then double box with polystyrene corner inserts, and the inside stuffed so tight the item could not move even a fraction. Never had any damage even with Royal Mail.

gizmo90

I received a shipment from them a month ago for a new Yamaha amp. Had to sign for it. The FedEx driver was a smaller woman and could barely lift it. It was delivered upside down with a pretty good ding in the outer box corner. Fortunately everything worked fine. I have a feeling that since the pandemic delivery drivers are probably overworked.
My thought too. It's by no means an easy job. I feel for them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The package was not insured. There was no option to buy insurance on the site when you create your own label. I looked for it but it wasn’t offered. They did ask for the value of the item so I thought that included insurance. I was on the receiving end of such an incident, the seller reimbursed me my money, so I wanted the insurance. I will try to push some more. Thanks.
Did you arrange freight or did the seller? Also, what sub and maybe more specifics on packaging....packaging is usually the key especially with fedex/ups.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thought too. It's by no means an easy job. I feel for them.
This is 2023, you mean to tell me FedEx don't have better tools for their drivers so that they can actually deliver a 50lbs amp without damaging the drivers' backs and the amp?

I blame FedEx and I also blame some drivers. Because some FedEx drivers just don't give a sht about damaging the packages they deliver. I had an ahole driver freaking rolled my amp on the floor from the walk way to my house. I think I got him fired, at least I hope I did.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is 2023, you mean to tell me FedEx don't have better tools for their drivers so that they can actually deliver a 50lbs amp without damaging the drivers' backs and the amp?

I blame FedEx and I also blame some drivers. Because some FedEx drivers just don't give a sht about damaging the packages they deliver. I had an ahole driver freaking rolled my amp on the floor from the walk way to my house. I think I got him fired, at least I hope I did.
They only pay their people so much to care deeply about handling.....

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you did not purchase insurance, you are covered automatically for the first $100. Should ratchet down your expectations and file the claim, take your $100 and call it a day. Better yet, call it the cost of education.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you did not purchase insurance, you are covered automatically for the first $100 of loss and that is it. Should ratchet down your expectations and file the claim, take your $100 and call it a day. Better yet, call it the cost of education.

OP
S

Spenav

Did you arrange freight or did the seller? Also, what sub and maybe more specifics on packaging....packaging is usually the key especially with fedex/ups.
I arranged shipping. The packaging was very strong. I received a damaged sub the month before from a seller, so I knew things could go wrong and took extra precautions. Apparently, that wasn’t enough.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I arranged shipping. The packaging was very strong. I received a damaged sub the month before from a seller, so I knew things could go wrong and took extra precautions. Apparently, that wasn’t enough.
Generally insurance is the responsibility of the shipper....you in this case since you controlled the freight/cost. So how big a sub was it?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They only pay their people so much to care deeply about handling.....
We can talk about social inequality as to why the FedEx driver is not a doctor or a lawyer and instead became a FedEx driver. But we won't because we're not here to talk socioeconomics. But being a FedEx driver, it is their job, whether they feel like they are adequately paid or not, it's their job. As their job, they need to deliver a 50lb amp without rolling it on the concrete floor. If they can't lift a 50lb box then they are not qualified for the job.

As a consumer who just spend $4000 on an amp, I'm not here to pontify the philosophy of humanities inequality, I just spend $4000 on an amp for a ahole to roll it on the concrete floor. I be upset if I didn't get him fired.

OP
S

Spenav

If you did not purchase insurance, you are covered automatically for the first $100. Should ratchet down your expectations and file the claim, take your $100 and call it a day. Better yet, call it the cost of education.
To my defense, insurance was not offered. I looked for it. They did ask for the value of the item so I presumed wrongly that it was included in the shipping cost.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We can talk about social inequality as to why the FedEx driver is not a doctor or a lawyer and instead became a FedEx driver. But we won't because we're not here to talk socioeconomics. But being a FedEx driver, it is their job, whether they feel like they are adequately paid or not, it's their job. As their job, they need to deliver a 50lb amp without rolling it on the concrete floor. If they can't lift a 50lb box then they are not qualified for the job.

As a consumer who just spend $4000 on an amp, I'm not here to pontify the philosophy of humanities inequality, I just spend $4000 on an amp for a ahole to roll it on the concrete floor. I be upset if I didn't get him fired.
I spent my life in logistics, albeit mostly internationally. Expecting proper handling is just mostly a fantasy, let alone special handling if it weighs 50 lbs. It's not socioeconomics, it's paying people to do a job well....or just speedily (fedex's main focus).

gizmo90

I think your point of view is defiantly valid. It would be a nicer world if people cared more about the jobs they do; and to quote Mr. Natural, they would "Get the right tool for the job!".

If I don't do my job right I would loose it. So I feel ya.

By the way I use a lint roller to clean my speakers too!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To my defense, insurance was not offered. I looked for it. They did ask for the value of the item so I presumed wrongly that it was included in the shipping cost.
You need to provide your own as shipper, altho it should be available to you that way, too....could be hidden or maybe needs help of a phone call.

OP
S

Spenav

Generally insurance is the responsibility of the shipper....you in this case since you controlled the freight/cost. So how big a sub was it?
It was a Martin Logan Abyss, so medium size about 15’X15’X14’. Somehow insurance is not offered when I created the label.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a Martin Logan Abyss, so medium size about 15’X15’X14’. Somehow insurance is not offered when I created the label.
Was it fedex small package or freight service?

ps and as for your own account, is there a general insurance setting?

OP
S

Spenav

It’s my understanding that a lot of the process is handled by machines and most of the damages occurs at that stage. Obviously, there is room for improvement.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your point of view is defiantly valid. It would be a nicer world if people cared more about the jobs they do; and to quote Mr. Natural, they would "Get the right tool for the job!".

If I don't do my job right I would loose it. So I feel ya.

By the way I use a lint roller to clean my speakers too!
And if you feel like you are not adequately paid for your job, then you work hard to upskill and find a better paying job, all the meanwhile you do the job that you are paid to do. Remember that is the beauty of capitalism, it works both ways.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s my understanding that a lot of the process is handled by machines and most of the damages occurs at that stage. Obviously, there is room for improvement.
Lots of automated conveyors but still a fair amount of physical handling by people tossing things around, loading trucks, unloading trucks....

Top Bottom