• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fallout on Amazon

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
people are saying the main characters are idiotics and gormless... which is how the game is

if you're that main female vault dweller and that black brotherhood of steel imposter then what sort of decisions are you likely to make due to your sheltered upbringing

you are thrust into a hostile foreign world with nothing but a few caps, medikit, a sleeping roll, a pipboy and a 10mm automatic pistol...
I agree with that. In the game, a lot of characters (including the player character) are ignorant, naive, or downright stupid. In most fallout games, you have a small handful of characters who really know what's going on, if any.

I think this is accurate to the setting... post-war, information is hard to come by. Education and communication are rudimentary and sparse. Backwardness is part of the setting.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone that never played any of the games, I must say that I liked the show quite a bit! It’s really fresh and funny. The cast is really excellent, especially after the somewhat clunky pilot episode. But that’s part down to the watcher needing to adapt, and partially because it’s simply a pilot episode: it new for everyone involved, so needs some time to settle. Otherwise it was thoroughly enjoyable. And yes, some things are a bit stupid, but for something like this I can excuse it.

As so often, Chato is pot on with his analysis:

I’ve watched some video’s detailing some of the games’ lore, and it seems there may be quite a bit more fun stories come if this becomes success.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I binged 3 episodes last night and I think it's pretty good. Not a gamer and no interest in the storyline beyond what they've given us but since it is based on a video game I'd say it's engaging enough. Hell, they make shows and movies about all kinds of stupid stuff these days so if I'm going to fill my head with drivel it may as well be this instead of Barbie.

Gore is appropriate and often hilarious in this series. Found myself laughing out loud often enough to keep watching.

DonR

Major Contributor
My kids played the games but I never did. I really enjoyed it. Lots of plot twists. Very engaging.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone that never played any of the games, I must say that I liked the show quite a bit! It’s really fresh and funny. The cast is really excellent, especially after the somewhat clunky pilot episode. But that’s part down to the watcher needing to adapt, and partially because it’s simply a pilot episode: it new for everyone involved, so needs some time to settle. Otherwise it was thoroughly enjoyable. And yes, some things are a bit stupid, but for something like this I can excuse it.

As so often, Chato is pot on with his analysis:

I’ve watched some video’s detailing some of the games’ lore, and it seems there may be quite a bit more fun stories come if this becomes success.
There could be absolute avalanches of this stuff if they decide to make it. Heck, just the Old World Blues DLC for Fallout New Vegas was like playing 3 episodes of Futurama. New Vegas the game could probably fill out 2 seasons just by itself. Etc etc etc.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hhmm, for those without Amazon Prime access, it appears that one can watch the entire series on a Prime trial.
And, this somehow sparked a memory of 'Alita - Battle Angel'; when's the sequal of that coming? Supposedly James Cameron says 2025. Can't wait for that.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you didn't play Wasteland in the early '80s, you will never truly understand.

Also, I am struggling to get into the show. The pace feels so plodding. Every "twist" is so telegraphed. The acting is so stiff. The moment I start to feel empathy for a character, they go and do something nonsensical. I'm not sure I'm going to watch the rest.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am not a gamer and did not know this was a game adaptation until after watching the first episode last night. Gory, bloody, and the weirdest show I have ever seen. Still trying to decide if I'm going to keep watching.

Pour yourself a few drinks and listen to some tunes instead. It looks like mindless garbage to me, but clearly, I'm not the target (thank goodness)

Tell

I've watched three episodes so far, and it's okay, maybe on par with something like Mandalorian where stuff is happening that doesn't always make sense, people do strange choices and with a general sloppiness to the overall production. Humour is okay though and I've seen worse acting than this. I'll continue to watch it just to have something to watch.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Westworld was cancelled I only felt relief, because I was compelled to keep hate-watching that stupid show for some reason, haha.

As for The Peripheral, I really enjoyed the novel (and Agency) and while I enjoyed some aspects of the show, I thought the adaptation as a whole was a failure

Edit: I'll grant them this - The Peripheral is not exactly easy source material to adapt. With that said, I do think it could have been a good show with more competent showrunners.
Westworld started off OK but went downhill fast as the seasons progressed. (Hate-watching describes my viewing of it perfectly.)

I really liked Peripheral. I like Chloë Grace Moretz and Jack Reynor.

Last of Us is possibly the best video game adaptation I’ve seen, but I watched it soon after I watched another post apocalyptic show, Station Eleven, which was a masterpiece.

Station Eleven was adapted from a novel, and unsurprisingly it had much more depth
Thanks for the recommendation. I watched the first episode of Station Eleven last night and it looks promising.

The first season of Altered Carbon was also excellent; the second was just OK.

Martin

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm very dubious about "forever series", there have been quite a few that people tell me started off well, but end up going nowhere, Lost and The Walking Dead come to mind; I didn't watch either of them myself.

I gave up on Westworld a couple of episodes into series 2. I felt the tone of the series had changed significantly and it no longer held my interest.

I agree with Martin, I really enjoyed series 1 of Altered Carbon. I watched all of series 2, but it was nowhere near as good as the first. I also read the books, and while they were more consistent, the first was probably the best.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most TV shows start off rocky, gain some steam, and then peter out.

Westworld started strong, weakened a lot, and then came together sorta OK in the end. Peripheral made no sense at any point, though I could look at Moretz all day. Mandalorian and Boba Fett are just silly westerns in space, so expectations should be kept in check.

The best of recent "quality" TV is Mrs. Davis, and it's a one-off.

mj30250

I enjoyed the season. It's certainly one of the better game to TV adaptations and it did a nice job of portraying some of the quirky weirdness of the Fallout universe.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Season 2 is confirmed.

probably be riots if there wasnt

easiest economic decision ever

i forsee quite a few seasons... the Fallout universe has so many stories to tell that you could easily run this one for years and years

Top Bottom