• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experience with Pro Cinema Speakers in a Hifi setup?

SCR

Forum Donor
While looking at the range of JBL Pro Cinema speakers i wondered how cinema speaker setups such as the 3678 or 4722/4722N would perform/measure in a two channel music listening context. I would guess that the horn designs are optimized for a bit of distance given a typical cinema setup, and that the treble output needs to be a tad higher due to the filter effect of the cinema screen in front of the speakers. The idea of combining such a setup with a Hypex FusionAmp sounds attractive though, maybe even as a cheaper alternative to a JBL 4430/4435 type speaker?

Did anyone has tried out and measure such setups? I guess that there must be a reason those are not discussed in a hifi/music setup?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least some of those look like good candidates for judicious EQ.

OP
SCR

SCR

Forum Donor
Did anyone try to set up a pair with a plate amplifier with active crossovet, any insights?

norman bates

Forum Donor
me.

I had that jbl 2384 horn with 2435hpl compression driver.
Active crossed at 750hz 24db LR to double 15 (eminence magnum 15lf).
I would spin eq up to 1khz when going for "flattening" levels.

Yup, took a bunch of eq (slight cd eq boost in crossover), but was very loud, clean, and dynamic.
I did not find that the horn boosted the highs, you can see measurements on the asr thread.
Double 15" running 30-750hz really beats you up at 15' away.

The horn only kept its vertical dispersion pattern down to 2khz, and 2' wide horn did its best to control down to 750hz.

No measurements of course.
10 band eq worked wonders as I usually listened under 90db..................

Top Bottom