• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Examples of Sony Audio's Marketing BS

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I guess that HiFi in particular is no longer as high a priority as before due to the fact that the market has shrunk to a more or less purely enthusiast market.
I don't think the market has shrunk. I think the market has grown significantly actually, and is expected grow quite fast according to this website.

The global consumer audio market size was valued at USD 99.58 billion in 2022. It is estimated to reach USD 303.21 billion by 2031, growing at a CAGR of 13.17% during the forecast period (2023–2031).

They also bought Audeze recently you'd recall, so they are not totally not interested either. I suspect ANC headphones are also doing well for them.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was always a big fan of Sony's consumer electronics growing up. I still have 4 of their CD/DVD/BR players, and use them regularly.

DonR

Major Contributor
For the last 10-15 years their receivers and AVRs have measured pretty poor compared to the competition. I feel they have shifted a little down market and rellied on the brand name.

Palladium

I don't think the market has shrunk. I think the market has grown significantly actually, and is expected grow quite fast according to this website.

The global consumer audio market size was valued at USD 99.58 billion in 2022. It is estimated to reach USD 303.21 billion by 2031, growing at a CAGR of 13.17% during the forecast period (2023–2031).

They also bought Audeze recently you'd recall, so they are not totally not interested either. I suspect ANC headphones are also doing well for them.

I will be very surprised if traditional hi-fi of all sorts combined even hits 1% of the market.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be very surprised if traditional hi-fi of all sorts combined even hits 1% of the market.
You think the global traditional HiFi market is less than $1B? What do you consider traditional HiFi?

Palladium

You think the global traditional HiFi market is less than $1B? What do you consider traditional HiFi?

You sure you are in 2023 if you think "global consumer audio market" isn't almost fully consisting of TWS earphones, soundbars and portable BT speakers?

Last stat I heard Sennheiser's total sales was almost a rounding error of Apple Airpods.

Mulder

Forum Donor

I feel like I need to be a bit picky here, but I was writing about HiFi specifically. I do not equate HiFi with the audio market in general. If you include all forms of products intended for listening to music, the proportion of actual HiFi is probably quite marginal. The text you refer to also does not say anything about what the HiFi market looked like 20 or 30 years ago, but I am quite convinced that that market was considered more important then than it is today. Despite everything, SONY produced really good HiFi products, and they helped develop the CD and thus the digital breakthrough in audio. But how many really good HiFi products does SONY make today?

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I need to be a bit picky here, but I was writing about HiFi specifically. I do not equate HiFi with the audio market in general. If you include all forms of products intended for listening to music, the proportion of actual HiFi is probably quite marginal. The text you refer to also does not say anything about what the HiFi market looked like 20 or 30 years ago, but I am quite convinced that that market was considered more important then than it is today. Despite everything, SONY produced really good HiFi products, and they helped develop the CD and thus the digital breakthrough in audio. But how many really good HiFi products does SONY make today?
I hear you.

I am not sure how we would define HiFi or filter it out from rest of consumer audio market. I have a feeling it is a bit of an arbitrary line in the sand, but to make it simpler, maybe I can interpret what you say in this way : although the consumer audio market is growing, it is mostly growing at the bottom with high volume, low margin products, and not so much at the top where Sony used to be a strong player. - is this right?

raif71

Major Contributor
I have some sony audio products. Couple of A44/A55/A101 DAPs and dac/amp pha-2a and pha-3. The DAPs are a bit weak and I only use them as transport players but the 2 dac/amp imho are great sounding.

Mulder

Forum Donor
I hear you.

I am not sure how we would define HiFi or filter it out from rest of consumer audio market. I have a feeling it is a bit of an arbitrary line in the sand, but to make it simpler, maybe I can interpret what you say in this way : although the consumer audio market is growing, it is mostly growing at the bottom with high volume, low margin products, and not so much at the top where Sony used to be a strong player. - is this right
Yes, that's a very good interpretation of what I mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom