• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo doesn't give you the correct driver…

Glerup71

I am the happy owner of an Eversolo Z8 Dac, but when I had to download the driver for Windows, I quickly find out that it is just the free Xmos driver, this is unfortunately very limited and lacks functions such as native DSD playback, latency, and buffer settings...etc

But if you look at companies such as SMSL, Topping, Gustard...etc, you get the right Thesycon driver, with all the nice functions, so if Eversolo is to be taken seriously just like the other companies, I think they should get that license to use the Thesycon driver

like me, there are probably many people who use Windows as an operating system, and would hate to be without players like roon & Audirvana, and would ideally like to be able to play native DSD

Galliardist

Major Contributor
OP
G

Glerup71

But just like Zidoo's own forum, it is unfortunately also completely quiet here after the DMP-A6 has come on the market, you have the feeling that the two good dacs (Z6/Z8) have almost been forgotten and that there will not be spent a lot of time on them

nsfgp

No experience with Eversolo and their driver might be very old. But it should still support ASIO per description.
What software you use to play DSD file??
Have you tried Foobar2K with all the needed plugin installed?? And do you see the ASIO driver showing up and can you select ASIO output in Foobar2K??
(You need to get 2 plugins -> foo_out_asio+dsd and foo_input_sacd)

OP
G

Glerup71

No experience with Eversolo and their driver might be very old. But it should still support ASIO per description.
What software you use to play DSD file??
Have you tried Foobar2K with all the needed plugin installed?? And do you see the ASIO driver showing up and can you select ASIO output in Foobar2K??
(You need to get 2 plugins -> foo_out_asio+dsd and foo_input_sacd)

I mostly use roon, and sometimes Audirvana, but now that Eversolo makes a dac that supports native DSD512, I think it's a bit strange that they don't think about the many Windows users...

Yes, the free Xmos driver supports Asio, but you have no option for native DSD, nor ASIO latency adjustment

nsfgp

(I don't use roon/Audirvana btw).
Don't think you need the latest Thesycon usb driver to enable/disable native DSD. Old version drivers should allows that implicitly by default. The DAC has to be able to adapt/play it when feeded the right stream. Also the buffer settings/latency you saw in the Thesycon driver control panel are auto-adjusted per source material and you never should have to mess with it. I have used the last 4 versions of Topping/Thysecon drivers and I could have happily stayed on the first one and never upgraded as I never had any issue. (I never needed that always on stream option hack to eliminate clicks)

With that out of the way I agree it is lame for Eversolo to stick to very old/OEM xmos driver and not try to keep up with the mainstream Thesycon driver tree.
But that should not affect native DSD playing using your Z8 would be my guess. Really surprised if it can't do that.
There are many different ways to play native DSD with even super cheap DACs. I only use FB2K/Squeezelite-X on windows.
With Foobar2K you can either use ASIO output(native or DOP) or WASAPI(exclusive)(DOP). With Squeezelite-X on windows I use WDM-KS output (DOP) that works great. Mind you DOP is also native DSD but up to DSD256 material (due to your PCM768 DAC limit). (DSD512+ music material is rare and not common anyway)

OP
G

Glerup71

There are two versions of the Xmos driver, the free version (Xmos) without native DSD playback and without the possibility to adjust Asio latency

And then there is the driver (Thesycon) you have to pay a license to use, but has all functions such as native DSD playback, and Asio buffer adjustment

But I managed to mod an older Thesycon driver (v3.38) so that I could play native DSD up to DSD512, but it could be nice with a newer driver which is currently at version 5.58 :)

Skærmbillede 2023-07-30 155715.png

TaxTime

I believe you can purchase (don't remember how much but it's really cheap) the latest generic Theyscon driver from DIYINHK. It was the same driver (I think) that Okto gave out for their DACs. The most recent driver for Okto is proprietary.

OP
G

Glerup71

I believe you can purchase (don't remember how much but it's really cheap) the latest generic Theyscon driver from DIYINHK. It was the same driver (I think) that Okto gave out for their DACs. The most recent driver for Okto is proprietary.

I've tried to mod the Thesycon driver after v4.0, but unfortunately it's not successful now, so right now it's v3.38 that works

Top Bottom