• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

mansr

Major Contributor
Interesting no one call that chip by the official name (Photo diode signal processor for compact disc players) and call it laser pre-amp or ADC.
In the Sony CDP-101 it's a bunch of opamps and basic logic chips. They even abuse some CMOS inverters as amplifiers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...They even abuse some CMOS inverters as amplifiers...

Not really abuse, they love that kind of work- they get sick of just inverting all day. Yes, straight off the PD array. They are cascaded further down the line for their inherent delay IIRC.

RF amp board:

RF amp board.JPG

Last edited:

Ethan Winer

Industry Insider
Aside: Ethan, great to see you posting here again! Hope life has gotten a little more relaxed; you were swamped last time we "spoke". And BTW my family still enjoys your cello rondo, but I still say it needs trumpet... :D
Thanks Don. I turned 70 last month and I'm busier than ever. But most of what I do is fun, like building this Null Tester device and making the video, so I don't mind. I'm not posting much in forums anymore, but I'm active on Facebook.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks Don. I turned 70 last month and I'm busier than ever. But most of what I do is fun, like building this Null Tester device and making the video, so I don't mind. I'm not posting much in forums anymore, but I'm active on Facebook.

Sounds great, Ethan! I'd retire tomorrow if I won the lottery, but barring that I still have a few years to go. I don't "do" Facebook so really appreciate you stopping by here!

p.s. Happy (belated) birthday!

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sounds great, Ethan! I'd retire tomorrow if I won the lottery, but barring that I still have a few years to go. I don't "do" Facebook so really appreciate you stopping by here!
+1 I just can't learn to love facebook.
Guess I'm stuck in the past.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Same here. I want to be one of the few who dies having never been on Facebook or ever used it for anything.

Have you noticed, people don't ask you whether you are 'on Facebook' anymore do they?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
+1 I just can't learn to love facebook.
#metoo
Tried it, abandoned it. And refused to allow it anywhere near my new computers- it is a cancerous data-scraper and devastating to privacy.

Sergei

Forum Donor
I like the bit at the end of the video which illustrates the standard audiophool response to rational thought - kick him out of the club and delete his posts. There was some classic stuff on Mark Waldrep's site a few months ago with the same reaction from audiophoolery.

This is not a fool's response. Discussed this with Mark at some length. This is a caught fraudster's response.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He spent 9 minutes giving no answer. :) I admire him as I would have had to stop after, "thank you for your question." :)

Yes, power cables can have various levels of shielding, etc. But if they make no difference in audio bands, using our own ears in a listening null test, then that is that. It makes no difference that you can show with some instrument measuring high frequencies that it made a difference.

He is also incorrect in saying the dirtiest gear in your home is audio gear. There are plenty that are worse.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Paul has that whole avuncular thing down pat. Admirable in its way.
Most definitely. He is made for youtube. You want to believe everything he says. Wish he stuck to real audio science and he would do so much good. As it is, every video has cringe-worthy moments.

invaderzim

He spent 9 minutes giving no answer. :) <snip>

You cracked his format.

Most definitely. He is made for youtube. You want to believe everything he says. Wish he stuck to real audio science and he would do so much good. As it is, every video has cringe-worthy moments.

It continues to amaze me that having instant access to incomprehensively massive amounts of stored information does not actually make many people more knowledgeable or informed.

Ethan Winer

Industry Insider
LOL, I knew something was up because I just got several dozen emails with comments people left on my Null Tester video. Paul sure does embarrass himself. It's obvious he knows that he's lying and being disingenuous. Then again, he says he likes and agree with Steve Guttenberg, and Steve is about as clueless as it gets. So maybe Paul really believes his own bullshit? I'll post on his video in a moment, and these are my main points:

Around 4:45 Paul totally loses it as he realizes he has no real rebuttal to my test results. So he changes the subject from RCA signal wires to power cables. Over the next few minutes he explains why his power cables are so wonderful. :p

At 5:42 Paul says differences that are audible might not show as electrical differences in the signals. WTF? Whatever he's smoking, I'd like some of that too.

At 7:10 Paul says that wires can act as antennas and pick up all sorts of RFI and hum from the air, and Ethan's test doesn't account for that. Well, of course a null test would account for that! What's so silly is Paul apparently didn't even watch my video because I demonstrate exactly that at 21:50 in my video, where I show the difference in hum pickup as I move one wire around.

Then at 7:56 Paul again can't refute my test, so now he changes the subject from the RCA wires I tested to speaker cables and how speaker impedances can vary (which is true). My video is very clear that I use a very low (7 ohms) output impedance to drive the wires, and they go into a 10K resistive input that is absolutely typical of a normal line level input.

I'll add that this past August I emailed Paul and asked him to do Skype video with me where we discuss this stuff then put it on YouTube. At first he said it wouldn't be useful (yeah, right), but eventually I convinced him and he said he'd try to find the time. I'll email him again now and tell him "it's time" to do this. :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
At 7:10 Paul says that wires can act as antennas and pick up all sorts of RFI and hum from the air, and Ethan's test doesn't account for that. Well, of course a null test would account for that! What's so silly is Paul apparently didn't even watch my video because I demonstrate exactly that at 21:50 in my video, where I show the difference in hum pickup as I move one wire around.

The impression I got was that he was talking about the power cord radiating, though there was certainly some ambiguity! Apparently, audiophiles own crap electronics that respond to things like that, and they're too stupid to understand the inverse square law. And the logic there is a bit weird since power cords are minuscule in length compared to the wavelengths at 60 Hz and the first, oh, 20 or 30 harmonics and compared to the length of wire in the house walls. Funny how using standard IEC cables doesn't seem to degrade the performance of the AP test gear in my lab...

His videos on speakers are even worse. There, it seems that he really doesn't understand the topic at all, on top of the usual genial dissembling for fun and (mainly) profit.

Ethan Winer

Industry Insider
Funny how using standard IEC cables doesn't seem to degrade the performance of the AP test gear in my lab...
The real problem with Paul's "proof" that his products work is that he never shows a reduction in noise and hum etc at the output of the connected audio equipment. That's all that matters! If his $5,000 "power plant" nonsense reduces noise riding on the AC line from 3 millivolts to 0.3 millivolts, he claims a 20 dB improvement, when in fact there is zero improvement in the actual audio.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
The real problem with Paul's "proof" that his products work is that he never shows a reduction in noise and hum etc at the output of the connected audio equipment. That's all that matters! If his $5,000 "power plant" nonsense reduces noise riding on the AC line from 3 millivolts to 0.3 millivolts, he claims a 20 dB improvement, when in fact there is zero improvement in the actual audio.

An apparent value of ASR is when skilled and experienced engineers tell users who is swimming naked. So we can avoid bad experiences when the tide turns.

Thanks for your comments :)

Top Bottom