• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS THD ‘Hump’ Investigation

johan

Audio Company
It makes sense.

Thx you very much for your help.

Samoyed

So, is the condition a design defect, and if so, can it be cured once a device using it is in a consumer’s hands? If not, what does ESS plan to do about it....

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be honest, it is not too difficult to get rid of this hump.

1 First, properly handle the layout of the analog circuit. This ensures a low enough distortion and noise amplitude, even if there is now a hump, but the height of the hump will decrease as THD+n improves.

At the same time, the MCLK crystal oscillator with low phase noise will be helpful, after all, this will reduce THD+n overall. The clock division function built into the ESS DAC chip has a similar effect, because the same MCLK signal, after several times of frequency division by DFF, can really reduce the phase noise of the low frequency offset portion.

2 At this point, there are two key variables that need to be adjusted.
The first key variable is the op amp used by the I/V circuit. It is not recommended to use the AD797. Using it will cause a high probability of hump.
According to my previous experiments, it is more appropriate to use the OPA1611/1612 series. You can also try other models of op amps.
However, in this state, you should still find this hump.

Then you need to adjust the second key variable, the feedback resistor value of the I/V circuit.
The optimum value of the feedback resistor for an I/V circuit that avoids hump is not a fixed value, depending on the specific PCBA design.
Please fine tune this resistor value according to the line output amplitude you need.

After you find the optimum value of the feedback resistor for the board you are tuning, there are some other variables that need to be adjusted for optimal performance.
For example, the Miller-capacitance of the I/V circuit and the resistance value in series with it, and the voltage divider resistance of the I/V circuit virtual ground.

Below are some screenshots of a appnote for the ES9018K2M peripheral circuit calculations. Most of the variable values mentioned above can be referenced to this appnote.
However, the output impedance value (Rs) of each DAC analog output pin needs to be replaced according to the specific model of the ESS DAC you are using.

View attachment 23840
View attachment 23841
The examples are for the ESS9018K2M. Is it the same for the 9038Q2M?
I offer to cure the hump as much as I can on my Khadas Tone board, and send it to someone for measurement.
But I need a member to do the math for me first, based on the Khadas´ schematics,
to find out what values have to be changed, if any.
Any advice on a crystal oscillator for tweaking is also welcomed. I have read in this forum that a certain 50mHz(?)
oscillator has better results but limits the upper sampling frequency...?
About the TI opamps proposed:
There is no nominal voltage given for the OPA1611/1612 but it looks their lower treshold is 4.25V.
So close to the Khadas 5V supply voltage.
According to the Khadas schematics the pins of their (unbranded) I/V Opamps RT6862D are compatible with OPA1612.
So besides the luck of being a pin-compatible replacement the OPA1612 will probaly introduce a problem in needing
their own -/+15V supply to perform better... Just a guess, I might be wrong here
But it leads to the question:
Could a weak supply voltage for I/V conversion have a negative influence on the hump?

Last edited:

peterq

RT6862 and RT6863 are opamps from ESS, they maybe work better than TI opamps. Tone board is more like a ESS eval board than others. Maybe khadas can do some minor tweak to solve this issue.

johan

Audio Company
Could a weak supply voltage for I/V conversion have a negative influence on the hump.

I dont think so , it seems to be mostly a not so stellar opamp Thats one of the parameters.

Herbert

RT6862 and RT6863 are opamps from ESS, they maybe work better than TI opamps. Tone board is more like a ESS eval board than others. Maybe khadas can do some minor tweak to solve this issue.
They are not on the ESS website. So the manufacturer will probably someone else. But it would be interesting to measure if an
highly integrated DAC that is using the ES9038 with an ESStech audio amplifier like the ES9602 shows the hump as well...

But anyway, could anyone check the math explained by HououinKyoma on the Khadas board´s schematic?
(value of external resistors in the I/V stage)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ess-thd-‘hump’-investigation.5752/page-14#post-161200
Maybe we are lucky and there is a relatively quick fix...

peterq

They are not on the ESS website. So the manufacturer will probably someone else. But it would be interesting to measure if an
highly integrated DAC that is using the ES9038 with an ESStech audio amplifier like the ES9602 shows the hump as well...

But anyway, could anyone check the math explained by HououinKyoma on the Khadas board´s schematic?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ess-thd-‘hump’-investigation.5752/page-14#post-161200

Based on my very limited circuit knowledge, do you mean we need to adject R40 and R53?

peterq

Not sure my understanding is correct. My circuit knowledge had returned to my professor 15 years ago...

Untitled.png

peterq

If my understanding is correct, then Rd should be 3.3kohm based on that formula...

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Sorry if offtopic, finally I made cycling of the signed 16-bit variables(int16_t second or int16_t third depends on which pin of GPIO pulled down to GND) in the range +512/-512. So the tuning looks like that: you shorting by tweezers two pads, marked "2" either "3", on the PCB, and particular variable starts cycling online(no any clicks). You are or AP script, whatever, keep watching for a minimal THD, and when the min value of THD is reached, short these two pads again to stop the cycling. In my case, the 2nd harmonic wasn't necessary to adjust becuase it is low enough. If your THD without compensation is less than .005%, the scanning range +/-100 could be ok.

johan

Audio Company
I have one question , why is the cutoff frequency (lpf) of the IV stage set so high,,,usually its closer to 100Khz. Any idea why its now at around 250Khz ?

IVX

Major Contributor
johan, I have no idea why there 250kHz but it is bad idea to me. AK4490 is much cleaner about out-band noise and probably low order and high Fcut LPF is ok but ES9038Q2M has a lot oh HF noise yet. I didn't notice if 2.2-4.7nF(0603 C0G) to GND and between DAC outputs affects THD performance at all, so I keep LPF 15db/oct at 90kHz.

bbt8888

If my understanding is correct, then Rd should be 3.3kohm based on that formula...
If my calculation is correct, the needed virtual ground voltage is 1.65*(806/(806+774))=0.84171V, and the current value is 3.3*3.3/(10+3.3)=0.8188V. To make it right, you can either change R40 from 3.3k to 3.424k or change R38 from 10k to 9.638k. The closest 1% resistor to 3.424k is 3.48k & for 9.638k is 9.53k. The other option is paralleling a 267k 1% resistor to 10k to make it 9.639k. Just my 2c.

@HououinKyoma
How precisely should the virtual ground match the recommended value? Within 1%? The tone board already have it within 3% and still have THD hump. And Rs (Rdac) of ES9038Q2M is specified to have 11% tolerance, so even if correct resistors value are installed individual board still can be far off your recommended value unless calibration on individual board is performed. Seriously I think this is a chip design issue from ESS's side to have such a big tolerance and also have critical design parameters based on this very loose value.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I have one question , why is the cutoff frequency (lpf) of the IV stage set so high,,,usually its closer to 100Khz. Any idea why its now at around 250Khz ?
johan, I have no idea why there 250kHz but it is bad idea to me. AK4490 is much cleaner about out-band noise and probably low order and high Fcut LPF is ok but ES9038Q2M has a lot oh HF noise yet. I didn't notice if 2.2-4.7nF(0603 C0G) to GND and between DAC outputs affects THD performance at all, so I keep LPF 15db/oct at 90kHz.

For info over at MARCH audia dac1 review thread (aka Khadas TB) we can se Amir did probe LP roll off for CD rate and think it looks do a pretty good LP job especially in comparison to some other modern DAC's that looks more or less as a pass through. Guess IV stage LP filter you talk about there is of 1st order roll off and can tell it wont matter much to the final LP curve from Amir if that 1st order LP is set at 100kHz or 250kHz. Below is a traced copy of that dac1 curve with cursor set around 22,05kHz and i tried compensate curve a cascade of what could be called a 1st order LP filter Linkwitz Transform up at 250kHz and then a 1st order LP at 100kHz and on scales >100dB its really impossible to see any difference.

1001.png

IVX

Major Contributor
BYRTT, I talking about out-band noise, which is really higher than AK4490, I saw there spread-spectrum noise with the peak at 10MHz or so and 3 spikes 50, 75 and 100MHz. When I try to see by my scope out-band noise for AK4490, I see nothing at all. To be honest, I feel that SE9038Q2M is highly overpriced, AK4490 for 1/3 money makes the same THD+N performance(.0003% and easy to get, I seriously doubt if SE9038Q2M can steady show .0001% without THD_COMP cheating), I see only regarding the S/N SE9038Q2M has the advantage(and for footprint size + SPDIF input) but do you really care if your DAC S/N -121dbA either -126dbA?

peterq

If you want to roll opamp, you may try opa1642 + ad8397 which comes from apogee element, I believe apogee did a lot of testing on this.

Herbert

If you want to roll opamp, you may try opa1642 + ad8397 which comes from apogee element, I believe apogee did a lot of testing on this.
Looks like this is the way to go. This will be my first SMD opamps to roll.

brt8888 thanks for doing the math. 3.48k / 0.5% for 3.424k and 9.65k / 0.5% for 9.638k are available as metal film resistors
in the R402 footprint from digikey - delivery time is 10 weeks :(

Top Bottom